Texas Hunting Forum

Legal Deer

Posted By: Setx Hunter

Legal Deer - 12/21/19 03:13 PM

I know this has probably been asked multiple times but I am just getting into deer hunting so I wanted to ask you guys.. I was curious if this was a legal deer to take. It looks to only have only side of antlers and possibly an antler on the other side. I just wanted some more info to know if I need to let it walk or not. Any info is appreciated.

TIA

Attached picture Deer.JPG
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 03:19 PM

Are you hunting in an antler restrictions county?
Have you read your county regulations in the Outdoor Annual?

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 03:22 PM

Hunting in Orange County.

The bag limit in this county is two legal bucks, but only ONE may have an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. A legal buck deer is defined as a buck deer with: at least one unbranched antler; OR an inside spread of 13 inches or greater (does not apply to a buck that has an unbranched antler)

but just wanted further clarification
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 03:27 PM

A strict reading of the A/R requirements would disqualify that buck.

In fact...that buck has a unique situation in that he doesn't qualify for any description of a legal buck...so he is 'home free' for this season. Lucky for him.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 03:27 PM

There’s not one unbranded antler so I say no.

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 03:30 PM

I appreciate it. That's why I came here and asked before just going and killing.

My buddys grandpa whos land this deer is on said this looks like the same deer that came around last year with only one set of antlers.. like they never grew back or something.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 06:58 PM

I would say yes, as he has an unbranched antler
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 08:04 PM

From the picture, the "stub" or malformed or stunted Right side main makes him a "one unbranched antler...buck deer...a legal buck in ORANGE County, unless y'all can see "branching" on the right side I don't see...this was a discussion topic before...a broken off main beam...is it an "unbranched antler" once it is broken off...yes I believe it is...and a judge would be hard pressed to convict of an antler restriction offense, based on the "hard evidence", that the skull would provide...you even have photographic evidence that the deer had one unbranched antler...the question can be posited...was it a longer spike that broke off or a branched antler that broke off...what matters is the visual evidence at the time the buck is killed...from no antler at all...to a "bump" to a stub...to a long "stub" to a spike...they all fit the definition of one unbranched antler.

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 09:02 PM

Thank you very much this is how I was viewing it as the same as you described it. It’s a very touchy topic. I just agree with you. I appreciate the detailed info!
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 09:49 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 10:18 PM

Depends if there is one inch of antler sticking up on the broken side. I can't clearly tell from that pic.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Legal Deer - 12/21/19 10:34 PM

Lack of an antler is NOT equal to one unbranched antler.... 2cents
Posted By: mightyp

Re: Legal Deer - 12/22/19 03:30 PM

if thats a antler sticking up on other side then I'd say yes,if its not then I'd say no.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Legal Deer - 12/22/19 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Depends if there is one inch of antler sticking up on the broken side. I can't clearly tell from that pic.

So would an unbranched antler need to meet the same requirements of being 1", as a point does?

OP, Send the picture to your warden. He is the guy that would write a citation.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Legal Deer - 12/22/19 04:06 PM

Buck = A deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin. Deer with antlers completely covered in velvet (protruding through the skin) are also considered buck deer.

Unbranched antler = an antler having no more than one point.

Point = a projection that extends at least one inch from the edge of a main beam or another tine. The tip of the main beam is also a point.

If the tip of the broken main beam is 1" or more it is considered a point.

Hardened antler protruding through skin,, unbranched no more than one point,, the tip of the main beam is also a point.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Legal Deer - 12/22/19 04:29 PM

If it has an inch or more sticking up it is legal.
I talked to a warden this year concerning a buck that only grows one side, but the missing side has nothing but a bump. He said, "well, hope he breaks off the other side leaving a chunk and he is good to shoot".
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Legal Deer - 12/22/19 04:56 PM

Just call the game warden ask him. You’ll get 2 different answers on here... yes he’s legal or no he’s not.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Legal Deer - 12/22/19 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pintail711
Just call the game warden ask him. You’ll get 2 different answers on here... yes he’s legal or no he’s not.

The isn't any two sides to it. The TPWD handbook is explicit about the restrictions/requirements. And the Game Warden doesn't get to 'decide' what the law is either, he can only 'enforce' it.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Legal Deer - 12/23/19 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by Pintail711

The isn't any two sides to it. The TPWD handbook is explicit about the restrictions/requirements. And the Game Warden doesn't get to 'decide' what the law is either, he can only 'enforce' it.

The OP has got both answers on here. If he wants to know if it’s a legal deer, send a pic to the the warden and ask. That’s what they’re here for; enforcement of the law and law clarification. Can you honestly tell from that picture if it’s a spike or broke main beam?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum