Texas Hunting Forum

Montague County/Bowie Texas

Posted By: bramorri

Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 03:59 PM

going on my first hunt in over 25 years next week and wondering how the deer are moving up there. I am wondering if I should camp in a stand all day or hunt the morning then move around the property during the mid day hours and back to a stand for the evening hunt. I am newbie at this so don't roast me too hard! haha.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 04:16 PM

I hunt up there. Been so for 15 years. For feeders they only hit dawn and dusk. Out of 5 hunters we haven't killed a back yet this year! Plenty of does though. Will be up there Saturday. How many acres are you hunting?
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 04:47 PM

welcome
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 04:54 PM

welcome

Good luck on your hunt up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pope&Young
welcome

Good luck on your hunt up

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 06:51 PM

I believe it is around 2500 acres. The owner suggested I sit in a stand but I think i would prefer to get out a bit. What are your thoughts?
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 07:43 PM

Are you going to be the only hunter that's hunting the ranch? If not you have to know were others hunting at all times.
If you do plan on hunting spot and stalk try and keep the sun at your back and wind in your face. Use any cover (trees, brush, etc..) to your advantage to try and keep your movement hidden.
Bring some rattling horns and a grunt call with you and don't be afraid to use them.

Again... Good luck up
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 09:12 PM

I own a much smaller, 133 acres, just South of Bowie. I've seen very few deer and heard very few shots. I have 6 corn feeders that they are finally coming to; mostly at night. Worst year ever. My place is solid oaks with acorns everywhere. The place you will hunt could be lot different with mesquite and/or cedars so you might do a lot better than us.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 09:15 PM

welcome
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by landsurveyor
welcome
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 10:10 PM

We are about 15 miles from Bowie. Our doe are coming to the feeders for a bite or two, then leave. The bucks are looking for doe, so they come by the feeders to sniff around, but aren’t staying long. Ask the landowner to put you in a stand where you can see the biggest area. We see lots of deer nowhere near the feeder. Good luck if you try to spot and stalk. There’s so many acorns on the ground it’s impossible to be very quiet
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by bramorri
I believe it is around 2500 acres. The owner suggested I sit in a stand but I think i would prefer to get out a bit. What are your thoughts?

Don't do it. Those are thick woods, postoak, blackjack and greenbriar. You'll spook every deer on the place. Sitting in a stand is the best way to shoot a deer. Might pizz off the landowner too if you go walking around.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/19/19 11:47 PM

welcome If you don't like hunting in a blind put up a tree stand or a pop up tent where you want. just my 2cents Good luck!
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/20/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Erathkid

Don't do it. Those are thick woods, postoak, blackjack and greenbriar. You'll spook every deer on the place. Sitting in a stand is the best way to shoot a deer. Might pizz off the landowner too if you go walking around.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Might not get invited back.

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/20/19 01:05 AM

When I first started deer hunting at around 17, I used to go stomping around the woods. Then wonder why I wasn't seeing anything. When I got on a good lease and built a comfortable blind my success rate went up 100%. Theres a reason why landowner wants you to stay put. I would hunt like he asked you to.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/20/19 01:52 AM

Depends upon your relationship with the landowner and what you want out of the hunt??
If there is anyone else hunting the property at the same time, stay in the blind!!!
If you just want to kill a deer or hog while hunting, stay in the blind!
If the owner has cattle or other livestock out there, stay in the blind.
If you are the only one on the property and there is no live stock and you really want to just get out there and explore and hopefully shoot something, then get your rear end out of the blind and enjoy!
More than likely I would do as the land owner suggested and stay in the blind up
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/20/19 04:20 AM

Yeah, walking around will not help you typically. Deer will see and hear you before you see them. We are about half the size. Stick to the blind.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/20/19 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
Yeah, walking around will not help you typically. Deer will see and hear you before you see them. We are about half the size. Stick to the blind.

Not neccesarily. I have killed quite a few deer still hunting. Even killed a few still hunting with a bow. It's not about stomping around in the woods. When I still hunt, it may take 30 minutes to go 100 yards. Take a few steps, then stand still and watch. Repeat.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/20/19 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by Txduckman

Not neccesarily. I have killed quite a few deer still hunting. Even killed a few still hunting with a bow. It's not about stomping around in the woods. When I still hunt, it may take 30 minutes to go 100 yards. Take a few steps, then stand still and watch. Repeat.

Txduckman and Unclebubba are both right..... you have to be really good, really patient and move really slow to be a good still hunter. For most of us it is best just try to find a spot where deer often travel and plant yourself there. The land owner can probably advise you on a good location.

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/20/19 01:57 PM

i will be the only hunter. never used a grunt call before but my dad gave me one from 1985 lol. So far the weather looks good with light winds. Apparently a few people have taken a few bucks off the property.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/20/19 02:29 PM

i will be the only hunter. never used a grunt call before but my dad gave me one from 1985 lol. So far the weather looks good with light winds. Apparently a few people have taken a few bucks off the property.

If you do decide to still hunt, it is really fun. Best advise I can give, if you think you are moving slowly enough, you aren't. Good Luck!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/20/19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

If you do decide to still hunt, it is really fun. Best advise I can give, if you think you are moving slowly enough, you aren't. Good Luck!

Yep, I walk three steps and stop and look. Man it's hard to move that slowly, but slow pays off much more than fast.

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/20/19 11:15 PM

If you must sneak around you need a pair of shooting sticks at minimum. DO NOT TAKE A SHOT OFFHAND! Seriously. I'm sure you know that Montague is an antler restricted county. Buck needs to be 13" inside spread. Good luck and post pics.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/21/19 02:46 AM

I know Montague has some good one in the ST JO area , how are the bucks in the Bowie and Lake Carter area?
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/21/19 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
I know Montague has some good one in the ST JO area , how are the bucks in the Bowie and Lake Carter area?

I know the area

Hunted on both side of there for years

Depending on how many acres and how y’all manage it, it can be good to great

Mature bucks in the 200 lb range and 150-160 class deer are very likely

I think it’s an underlooked area of north Texas personally
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/21/19 02:22 PM

It could be great. I have hunted successfully this way the last several years:
If you don't hunt a stand, use Google Pro Earth or Onx Hunt and spend a lot of time studying the area. Find the highest elevation point and figure out a way to get there without disturbing lower areas within 500 or so yards. Take some small pruning shears, a bipod or sticks and don't move. As others have said, wind in your face. Deer are already there and you don't know the area, so let them do what they do every day and kill one. I really like shooting prone from a bipod, with weeds and grass about 7-8" high in front of me wearing full camo.

Good luck, and if you get to stay there you'll learn where they bed and eat. For now stealth and no trace is your best strategy. I've killed some good deer this way, going into places using no stand, feeder or motorized transportation.

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/21/19 03:01 PM

i like your confidence procraft! I am excited to just sit out in the woods but it would be a huge plus to kill something! but... the astros didnt cheat! well at least i hope they didnt. we may never know. haha.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/21/19 03:24 PM

BIL, there are some monsters in the area. Several are on my cams almost every year. Of course, they are nocturnal. The biggest we’ve taken off my place in the last 30+ years are in the mid 130 class.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Montague County/Bowie Texas - 12/21/19 03:44 PM

Definitely a lot of deer in the area. If your going to be walking make sure you have a good pair of snake boots. That area has a lot of copperheads.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum