Texas Hunting Forum

rain hunting??

Posted By: txhunter1010

rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 08:22 PM

So looking at going hunting Tuesday afternoon.. nice cool day after the front lows trough but shows 52% chance of rain in the afternoon.. Ive never really hinted the rain.. is it worth going? Deer movement slow?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 08:34 PM

Seldom have I seen them move in the rain. Ive seen deer in light mist etc. Whenever ive been in a heavier rain and it stops seems like I almost immediately see deer. If it were me and I had a dry stand and reliable roads I'd be hunting.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 08:35 PM

Rain rarely lasts for a long time. It does tend to pin them down, then they will usually move right as it ends or shortly thereafter. If you wait for it to end before heading to the blind you'll be late. I like hunting in the rain, particularly in rain that comes and goes, as you can see (and take advantage of) the movement during the stoppages.
Posted By: PMK

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 08:37 PM

I've taken several nice bucks in medium to heavy rain (several out of a open tripod in a downpour). They act a bit more cautious I'm guessing cause the sound is deadened or dampered from the rain ... next Tuesday will be getting up close to a full moon and for me, afternoon hunting would be best.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 08:40 PM

Deer live outside permanently, so unless it's a down pour, it's just another day to them. Rain affects the hunter more than the deer.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
I've taken several nice bucks in medium to heavy rain (several out of a open tripod in a downpour). They act a bit more cautious I'm guessing cause the sound is deadened or dampered from the rain ... next Tuesday will be getting up close to a full moon and for me, afternoon hunting would be best.

yeah i think so too
Posted By: PMK

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 09:21 PM

one thing is for sure, it will be better hunting next Tuesday in the rain that being at work up
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 09:53 PM

You for sure won’t get one watching tv at the house!

I’ve watched deer in poor weather many times
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 10:07 PM

I like hunting in the rain - it knocks down sound and scent. Also easier stalking across wet grass and leaves. I agree with others, the deer may slow down a bit during a downpour, but as soon as it lets up, they are moving again.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 10:30 PM

Always had good sightings before the rain hit. Downpours not so much. In cold misting rain I have had a lot of success - even after the rut.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 11:16 PM

If you don't have high wind... it should be fine.
Posted By: txmudder

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/05/19 11:22 PM

I decided a long time ago not to let the weather forecast keep me from going hunting. I’ve seen it forecasted 80-90% chance of rain and not rain at all. The weatherman is not near as smart as he thinks he is. As far as hunting in the rain, it can be great before and right after a heavy rain. The deer are not going to be moving much during a heavy rain though. Light rain, mist, fog, cold deer will be moving.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/06/19 01:21 AM

I’ve seen movement in the rain.

But have seen them move most right after heavy rains.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/06/19 01:56 AM

During high winds and heavy rain they do not roam as much. Hard to hear the predator, man.
Posted By: MELackey

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/06/19 05:48 AM

Our blinds have top hinged windows that open out and are tied off at an angle to make awnings over the windows so you stay fairly dry. They also have tin roofs. I can take a pretty incredible nap in a stand during a rain storm. Deer moving at the end of the rain is a welcome bonus. Always go for the good nap. I would hunt as planned.
Posted By: Mr. Zorg

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/06/19 07:06 AM

What is this "rain" y'all speak of?
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/09/19 01:55 PM

Shot my biggest deer right after a big downpour. Watched a few younger ones stand out during the rain, they seemed unimpressed by it all.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/09/19 05:30 PM

Killed my all time personal best buck with a bow, right after a heavy rain, lightning and thunder storm just minutes after the heavy downpour stopped, and the front blew through.
I had to cross a raging creek that was just a dry creekbed an hour before to get into my stand.
I was just getting ready to sit down in the chair, poured water off of it, and looked up, and there stood my buck of a lifetime, 20 yards away broad side looking away from me!

Was it worth it?....I was driving to the lease at 4 a.m. and the rain was coming down sideways with contsant lightning and thunder, and I almost turned around and went back home three times.....I thought to myself I'm crazy, but I soon was able to realize it was worth it.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/09/19 10:01 PM

I love hunting in the rain, especially if I can get into the blind prior to, or in between, periods of downpour. I've seen outstanding activity before, during, and after rainstorms. Only way to know is if you go.
Posted By: cm250

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/10/19 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by procraft05

Originally Posted by procraft05

up up up
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/11/19 04:17 PM

I have never killed a good one in a downpour, but have on multiple occasions killed good bucks and seen a large quantity of deer following a heavy rain. Now a light mist/rain is my favorite time to hunt. I always see a lot of deer in these situations.
Posted By: Ftttu

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/12/19 06:23 PM

I’m here in Canyon Lake, and deer are all over the place. From my daily experience observing them, I see them noticeably less when it rains. I was always told by my uncle while hunting growing up that they are more likely to bed down in good rain, and that appears to be true in my experience. I feed them everyday, so they give up a steady meal when they don’t show up.

Anecdotally, I hunted a day this season’s opening week that had a good steady rain the entire day, and it was the only day I didn’t see deer moving. I only saw one deer that I scared up while walking out at dusk. Also, since I had that experience, it kept me from going this last Tuesday, and I went Wednesday in stead.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: rain hunting?? - 12/13/19 05:18 PM

A heavy or even a moderate rain kills their senses of smell and sound, to they would rather lay up until conditions improve.
If you see one move in a heavy rain it was more than likely he was scared out of his bed by something.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum