Texas Hunting Forum

Bad Shot, Happy Ending

Posted By: Woj

Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/02/19 02:50 PM

Well, I'm a 100% bow hunter. I practice ALOT, am confident in knowing when I am within my abilities ... and not. But sometimes, even when everything seems perfect, something goes awry. I had one of our cull bucks come in, 20 yards, broadside. I lined him up, picked a hair as an aiming point in his boiler room, and let it fly. As soon as I saw my lighted knock disappear, I knew I had hit about five inches further back than that damn hair is was aiming at. I pulled the shot, and was not happy. But, I wasn't going to give up on him. I waited 15 minutes and snuck out the back away from where he ran. Waited an hour from when I shot, grabbed my black lab to help me track, and went back to the scene of the crime. The blood was pretty good considering, but my pup kept me on the trail when the blood seemed to dry up until the next spot found. About 200 yards total track distance. Autopsy reveals that I got 100% liver. No lungs, no guts. I recorded the hunt for those who want to watch it all go down, and will post the entry wound pick here. Moral of the story, do everything you can to make an ethical, quickly lethal shot, and when you don't achieve that, give the animal the respect of spending as much time as you can trying to recover it. At a minimum, the animal deserves at least that.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/02/19 03:22 PM

You nailed that little tuft of hair on his side, I wonder if subconsciously your mind didn't take over and fixate on that spot?

Regardless, you got your buck. I get buck fever even with the culls, no matter the size, I'd have done good to hit him
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/02/19 03:22 PM

I’ve made a liver shot and seen a couple. It’s not the ideal shot, but it is deadly, given time. Glad it worked out.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/02/19 03:31 PM

Interesting how deer duck a lot of times when they hear that arrow flying. Great video and glad you recovered it cheers
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/02/19 03:35 PM

Glad you found him. Good job.
Posted By: hook_n_line

up
Posted By: Wilhunt

If you hunt long enough this will likely happen to most of us. Glad you found your deer.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/02/19 03:57 PM

Nice cull
Congrats cheers
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/02/19 04:45 PM

That's a good size hole. What broad head if you don't mind?

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/02/19 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by titan2232

I was a muzzy fixed blade guy for 20+ years. Swore I'd never use a mechanical broadhead. After I got my new Z7, I couldn't get my broad heads to group anything close to what I like, and they hit 4" low and left to my field point. So I'm trying Rage 2" two blade mechanicals. So far, so good. 18 animals killed, all recovered, and no failures to open. I'm going to keep using them until they let me down.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/02/19 09:55 PM

First deer I shot with a bow was a high liver shot. I was shooting big broadheads on a heavier shaft. None if this lightweight stuff. I went to camp to get help. Buddies were like wow. We can follow this trail. Looked like someone painted it. Deer did not go 100 yards.

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/02/19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by David Maas
You nailed that little tuft of hair on his side, I wonder if subconsciously your mind didn't take over and fixate on that spot?

I noticed that tuft too after reviewing the video. I'll never know. It's not a giant that had me nervous or anything, but like you said, did my subconscience take over? I sure hope not.
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/03/19 12:29 AM

Well done! Was that deer eating alfalfa?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/03/19 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pope&Young
Nice cull
Congrats cheers
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/03/19 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Woj
Originally Posted by titan2232

I was a muzzy fixed blade guy for 20+ years. Swore I'd never use a mechanical broadhead. After I got my new Z7, I couldn't get my broad heads to group anything close to what I like, and they hit 4" low and left to my field point. So I'm trying Rage 2" two blade mechanicals. So far, so good. 18 animals killed, all recovered, and no failures to open. I'm going to keep using them until they let me down.

Those 2" Rage are serious broad heads. Nice work

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/03/19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by activescrape
Well done! Was that deer eating alfalfa?

Yes. The deer on my place LOVE alfalfa. No cows in this pasture so I bring a bale and spread a couple slices out.
Posted By: wsjaxIV

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/03/19 01:49 PM

Congratulations on the buck and the successful recovery.
Posted By: Team Fat Sack

Re: Bad Shot, Happy Ending - 12/03/19 02:09 PM

Congrats. Glad it ended well!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum