Texas Hunting Forum

Re: Fun in Nebraska

Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: Fun in Nebraska - 11/27/19 09:13 PM

I was able to get away from work for a couple of days to chase whitetails up in Nebraska. I had tags for a buck and two does.

I shot the first doe @ 325 yards. I decided to do a neck shot so I aimed for the lower portion of the neck. I her in the bottom of the neck and instantly took out the jugular. She dropped instantly. If I do that type of shot again, I will better study the deer's anatomy ahead of time. Game and Fish aged her at 3.
[Linked Image]

I shot my buck about 200 yards. He never reacted so I thought that I had missed. After a long 1-2 seconds later he started to walk off but was wobbling. He only took a couple of steps. Huge blood trail over a small area. Game and Fish aged him at 3.5.
[Linked Image]

This is the opposite side. He was slightly quartered when I shot. He never reacted to getting hit kind of like an bull elk.
[Linked Image]

I really wanted to shoot my last doe at an extended distance. She just would not cooperate. She eventually walked within 200 yards. No neck shot this time; did the chest. She dropped instantly. Game and Fish aged her at least 5 years old.

It was tempting to hold out for a larger buck but with two day to hunt, I had to set realistic expectations. I brought home a lot of meat which was the main goal. I will be going back at some point; hopefully with more time to hunt.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Fun in Nebraska - 11/27/19 09:21 PM

What are you using, a cannon? grin
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: Fun in Nebraska - 11/27/19 09:25 PM

I used a T3X in 300 Win Mag shooting 190 grain Bergers. Been a lethal combination so far.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Fun in Nebraska - 11/27/19 09:31 PM

I'd say so. Nice deer.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Fun in Nebraska - 11/29/19 12:05 PM

Nice buck, congrats. up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Fun in Nebraska - 11/29/19 12:31 PM

cheers That's a lot of venison on one trip.
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Fun in Nebraska - 11/29/19 07:05 PM

Nice, buck and does
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Fun in Nebraska - 11/29/19 08:59 PM

That’s a lot of gun for whitetail but nice job.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Fun in Nebraska - 11/29/19 09:05 PM

Pile of deer right there. That load really does the trick eh? That exit wound is something else. I would name that load "hammer of Thor"
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Fun in Nebraska - 11/29/19 09:05 PM

Maybe name the rifle "Thor"
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum