Texas Hunting Forum

Is the Houston area Rut on or done?

Posted By: JB1316

Is the Houston area Rut on or done? - 11/21/19 05:12 PM

Just curious what you guys think. Has the rut for the Houston area already passed, or do ya'll think it's not yet here? I shot a buck in the Sam Houston NF a couple of weeks ago that was chasing a doe, but got him before he could reach her so not sure if he was going to close the deal then. What do ya'll think, still another week or so before the Rut, or did it already come and go?
Posted By: PMK

Re: Is the Houston area Rut on or done? - 11/21/19 05:26 PM

it varies area to area ... but some does will come in during Oct. to kinda spark the breaking up of the bachelor groups and get chasing started, the next round usually come about 28 days later or Nov. when the majority of the does will come in causing the major rut to happen. The does that are not bred during this time will come in again about 28 days later causing another round ... and can go out into January and even February (causes really late fawns)...

where I grew up (Burnet county), my uncle would start going to his tree stand Oct. 1 after he got off work (his ranch was 10 minutes out of town) and sit till dark, every day until he started seeing chasing getting started, usually around mid Oct. That was the last time until about 28 days later when he would usually knock down 2 good bucks on the first or second day he sat during season. At that point, he was done for the year.
Posted By: TravisBadlands27

Re: Is the Houston area Rut on or done? - 11/22/19 02:32 PM

I drew the Sam Houston permit as well but haven't had time to go yet. Im curious about the answer too cause i dont really want to waste time going if everything has quieted down.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Is the Houston area Rut on or done? - 11/22/19 03:31 PM

I saw some “ladies of the evening” downtown talking to some young men. It’s still on.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Is the Houston area Rut on or done? - 11/22/19 04:49 PM

I think we're smack dab in the middle of it here in Montgomery co.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Is the Houston area Rut on or done? - 11/22/19 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3
I think we're smack dab in the middle of it here in Montgomery co.

Time to suck up to the wife when I get home!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum