Texas Hunting Forum

12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened!

Posted By: TXGH

12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 05:12 PM

So read this quick story of how this happened before you watch the kill shot!!

I dropped my kids off at school and forgot my phone. So before heading to work I headed home to get it. Right before the turn to my house a giant deer ran in front of me.... looked like a 10 point.

He was headed in the direction of my property, so I gunned it the last 1/4 mile home, ran inside, grabbed my gun, camera and , along with my rattling horns and Hooks Custom Calls Grunt call.

Threw on my Prym1 Camo pants and jacket over my work clothes and headed out back.

I got set up, turned on the camera, did a few long tending grunts, waited 2 mins and started to rattle. Not 2 mins later the same giant steps out of the brush to my left about 80 yards looking at me. I didn’t have time to turn the main camera but luckily I had the Tactacam FTS on my rifle to capture the moment!

I had to move my gun that was on the REKON tripod over, so I know he saw me move, but he was still pumped up from looking for a fight he didn’t even care. I lined up and BOOM! He ran 30 yards!! But upon inspection he was not the 10 point that I thought he was! He was a 12!!! Tagged him using my reusable Game Tags

I then called my work and let my assistant know I was going to be late, and told her why, and she started cracking up. But I said I will bring in meat for everyone, which made them excited.

Even though I will now be staying late at work tonight to make up for it, I love it when a plan comes together!

Tagged out in Burnet County.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 05:21 PM

Lol, sounds like a commercial.
Posted By: RPG1997

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 05:22 PM

Right?
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 05:52 PM

That,s getting your priorities right. Nice buck.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 06:02 PM

Good Job!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 06:06 PM

Nice, you sure get on them quickly and stay there for a short time before letting it go. Good harvest....

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Nice, you sure get on them quickly and stay there for a short time before letting it go. Good harvest....

When it comes to the ones I want I don't waste time. I have seen too many people miss becuase they wait for the "perfect shot"

I practice quick acquisition and accurate placement quickly - so when the time comes I can do the same in the field.

Also this buck saw me move while rattling and was not sure how long he was going to stick around for, so I took the first good shot I had.. Heart was hit (barley hit but hit) and lungs were mush.
Posted By: PMK

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 06:20 PM

Tagged him using my reusable Game Tags
wtf

nice buck! What part of Burnet County?

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
wtf

Close to lampasas / Kempner area
Posted By: TexasSully

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 06:32 PM

Very nice buck!
Posted By: Rustler

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 06:45 PM

Tell me more about these " reusable Game Tags ".

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler
Tell me more about these " reusable Game Tags ".

they are a way to attach your tags to your downed animals and they are re usable - Not saying the tag is re usable lol
Posted By: fouzman

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 06:57 PM

Nice deer. Great commercial for your sponsors.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by deerhunter1956
That,s getting your priorities right. Nice buck.

Man that’s an amazing buck and great story
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 07:34 PM

Mainframe 8 with kickers, call it what you want. Nice buck and cool story.

Next time you write up something, leave the laundry list of sponsor stuff off, it read like a infomercial. I really hated that for your story since it is a cool story, just leave the name dropping to your videos.

It really was a cool story tho, congrats on the buck, I wish I could hunt out my back door. City life, it hurts during deer season
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 07:34 PM

I'm using my Samsung S9 with an weather proof otter box case to tell you CONGRATS ON A GREAT BUCK grin

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Mainframe 8 with kickers, call it what you want. Nice buck and cool story.

Next time you write up something, leave the laundry list of sponsor stuff off, it read like a infomercial. I really hated that for your story since it is a cool story, just leave the name dropping to your videos.

It really was a cool story tho, congrats on the buck, I wish I could hunt out my back door. City life, it hurts during deer season

Yes sir main frame 8, but if you can put a ring on it, it counts as a point.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 07:41 PM

Enjoyed reading your story on my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop with 21" Samsung screen, and made note of some of the products you mentioned with my Pilot G-2 on a Business Source Legal Pad 63105.

Haha, nice deer.

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Grosvenor
Enjoyed reading your story on my Dell Optiplex 7040 desktop with 21" Samsung screen, and made note of some of the products you mentioned with my Pilot G-2 on a Business Source Legal Pad 63105.

Haha, nice deer.

touchet
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Grosvenor

Haha, nice deer.

roflmao
Posted By: PMK

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/20/19 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by jtprocaddie
Originally Posted by PMK
wtf

Close to lampasas / Kempner area

used to be lots of deer in that area. I hunted several years down county road 223 right at the Burnet county line. That's a good deer for that area (at least from when I hunted there)
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/21/19 12:51 AM

I’m amazed.....that someone employs you. Sweet infomercial, though.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/21/19 12:54 AM

When it comes to the ones I want I don't waste time. I have seen too many people miss becuase they wait for the "perfect shot"

I practice quick acquisition and accurate placement quickly - so when the time comes I can do the same in the field.

roflmao
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/21/19 02:51 AM

Also this buck saw me move while rattling and was not sure how long he was going to stick around for, so I took the first good shot I had.. Heart was hit (barley hit but hit) and lungs were mush.

Comical
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/21/19 04:36 AM

Great buck sir up
Congrats cheers
Posted By: wall8053

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/21/19 07:19 AM

Love it. Great deer, now I want a tactacam. Thx
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/21/19 08:26 PM

Y'all still giving JT a hard time!! Nice buck and glad it wasn't on my buddies ranch this time!! up
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/21/19 08:58 PM

very nice buck, congrats

2nd video I saw with you taking heart shot and deer running on you

If you can hit the heart why not aim for the neck next time ?

drop em don't go looking for em

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/22/19 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by cabosandinh
very nice buck, congrats

2nd video I saw with you taking heart shot and deer running on you

If you can hit the heart why not aim for the neck next time ?

drop em don't go looking for em

Like I did on this one? Usually I don't like neck shots. too much can go wrong.

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/22/19 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
Y'all still giving JT a hard time!! Nice buck and glad it wasn't on my buddies ranch this time!! up

haha! I actually saw that Garrett was back on facebook and then he blocked me... Sad

Re: 12 point down in Burnett County - Awesome how it happened! - 11/22/19 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckman

Its always the same ones.. They get enjoyment out of acting like that. It stopped bothering me a long time ago. Haters are gonna hate no matter what you do..

Our show gets great ratings, our sponsors are happy, and I get to hunt what I want, and when I want, for the most part, and my wife cant complain of me spending too much of our money on it. Thats all a guy can ask for.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum