Texas Hunting Forum

One more doe for the freezer, she said

Posted By: 603Country

One more doe for the freezer, she said - 11/13/19 03:14 AM

So I sat in my favorite blind (best heater) and waited. Should see a doe soon, but nothing close. But wait...10 of them at 270 yards. Then they closed to 200 yards. Not a tough shot, but I just didn’t feel like doing it. Then some of them closed to about 100 yards, but there was a fence between us, so I used that as an excuse and didn’t shoot. Trying hard to avoid shooting a doe this afternoon. Almost dark and a big doe jumped the fence and just stood there broadside. Dang, I have run out of excuses. Shot the doe, hand dragged the doe a ways, dragged her by ATV to the barn and deboned it. This is a lot tougher than it was when I was in my 20’s (or 30’s or 40’s, or 50’s or 60’s). My back aches, and the Advil hasn’t kicked in yet.

Wait all year to hunt deer and then try not to shoot one. Well, I can hunt that big 9 point now.

Random observations: I really like the new Leica RF; and the new VX5 3-15 HD is really bright in dim light; the 120 gr Nosler BT really made a loud THWACK when it found the doe; and it reminded me not to shoot the edible parts of a deer with that bullet.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: One more doe for the freezer, she said - 11/13/19 03:55 AM

Just as she asked meat in the freezer. It's hell when we get old.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: One more doe for the freezer, she said - 11/13/19 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
So I sat in my favorite blind (best heater) and waited. Should see a doe soon, but nothing close. But wait...10 of them at 270 yards. Then they closed to 200 yards. Not a tough shot, but I just didn’t feel like doing it. Then some of them closed to about 100 yards, but there was a fence between us, so I used that as an excuse and didn’t shoot. Trying hard to avoid shooting a doe this afternoon. Almost dark and a big doe jumped the fence and just stood there broadside. Dang, I have run out of excuses. Shot the doe, hand dragged the doe a ways, dragged her by ATV to the barn and deboned it. This is a lot tougher than it was when I was in my 20’s (or 30’s or 40’s, or 50’s or 60’s). My back aches, and the Advil hasn’t kicked in yet.

Wait all year to hunt deer and then try not to shoot one. Well, I can hunt that big 9 point now.

Random observations: I really like the new Leica RF; and the new VX5 3-15 HD is really bright in dim light; the 120 gr Nosler BT really made a loud THWACK when it found the doe; and it reminded me not to shoot the edible parts of a deer with that bullet.

With that rig and distance, put it in her ear! I know you're capable. Congrats on filling the freezer.

Which model Leica did you get?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: One more doe for the freezer, she said - 11/13/19 11:14 PM

Yep, 270 yards is well within my ability, but I was quite honestly trying to avoid shooting a deer way over there. I was just resistant to shooting one yesterday. Seemed like too much work. If she hadn’t jumped that fence, she’d still be alive. As much as I resisted shooting, it was gonna be 23 degrees the next morning. Might as well get it done. And it is now done. Now I can hunt that great lookin 9 point. He’s a beauty, and I have passed on him 3 times, once at 50 yards or less. Probably never see him again.

The RF is my third. The first was a Nikon 600, and it was really a good unit. Was good to 400 yards only, and not 410. I still have it. But, I decided I wanted at least 500 yards of range, and by that I mean range on a near invisible dirt brown coyote at 500. So after some research I got a SigKilo 1250. Very disappointing in max range on that dirt brown coyote, and I had difficulty ranging deer at distance. I’d range one at 600 and then not be able to range one at 400. Not dependable for what I wanted. So, more research, and I found a Leica 2000B on sale. It is an outstanding unit. I could pay more and get even more range, but this is all I need, plus some.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum