Texas Hunting Forum

Stephens County is in Rut

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Stephens County is in Rut - 11/12/19 06:44 PM

One of our hunters is hunting and seeing big bucks chasing does right now. I spoke with the game biologist who hunts and runs the 25K acre ranch next door to us and they are rattling up bucks now in full rut. He also said he's seeing hard chasing of the big bucks, not just the little guys. So, it's on!

I just wish people would hold off on needing ammo orders the day before they order them!!
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/12/19 08:09 PM

full moon tonight and fair weather... Look out!
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/12/19 09:39 PM

Heading out Friday early, saw it was about to start last weekend.
Posted By: StephensCnty308

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/13/19 03:58 PM

Good to know !!!!

Hopefully Tuesday and Wednesday nights full moon doesn’t hurt movement
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/13/19 04:30 PM

Headed to Erath County tomorrow to try and rattle some up. It should be on.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/13/19 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
One of our hunters is hunting and seeing big bucks chasing does right now. I spoke with the game biologist who hunts and runs the 25K acre ranch next door to us and they are rattling up bucks now in full rut. He also said he's seeing hard chasing of the big bucks, not just the little guys. So, it's on!

I just wish people would hold off on needing ammo orders the day before they order them!!

I had the opportunity once to hunt a 27,000 acre ranch just down the road from the Nail Ranch. They had both side of the Brazos. I really like that area but lots of snakes. They had some cowboys that lived in one of the houses out there and everyone of their dogs had been bit. I hope the quail have come back. I went in a dry year and there were very few.
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/13/19 07:17 PM

Chad,
Are you and Danny still on the place south of my "former" lease?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/13/19 09:59 PM

Hi Dennis, yes, we sure are!!
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/14/19 05:59 PM

Hey, Chad!! Can you work up a load for my custom .280 WeedWhacker?? Need it for a hunt tomorrow...
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/14/19 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42

I had the opportunity once to hunt a 27,000 acre ranch just down the road from the Nail Ranch. They had both side of the Brazos. I really like that area but lots of snakes. They had some cowboys that lived in one of the houses out there and everyone of their dogs had been bit. I hope the quail have come back. I went in a dry year and there were very few.

That's my favorite area to hunt. What ranch was it?
Posted By: Perfect 8

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/17/19 02:17 AM

We had heavy chasing and some standing does starting opening weekend just South of Lake Daniels....I saw 8 different 8 point or better opening weekend along with a couple of yearling bucks. I have hunted the same property for 9 years and I have never seen that many different bucks in a whole year much less one weekend. Good luck to the Stephens county deer hunters.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/17/19 04:57 AM

Hunting Eastland county about a mile south of the Stephens county line, heard more shots tonight than the first 10 days combined. Seems as though they're up and moving.
Posted By: js4242

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/17/19 02:34 PM

Hunting Eastland. Last weekend was much more active with chasing by bigger bucks. This weekend has been quiet. It does sound like a hail storm with all acorns dropping. I have my little one with me so hunting the tree stands is not an option. Did have 8 doe walk out on the edge for a minute or two with spike. Small 8 yesterday cruising the field. Hopefully it lasts another week.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/17/19 06:33 PM

Funny how quickly things can change. I'm not in your area but my last two hunts had me seeing 5 Does and 7 bucks on one outing, then 7 Does and 3 bucks yesterday, but this morning...it looked like I had walked into the 'nursery'. Not a single deer over 1.5 years old.

Took a look at the game cameras and the larger bucks are all moving at night right now on my place.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Stephens County is in Rut - 11/17/19 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Funny how quickly things can change. I'm not in your area but my last two hunts had me seeing 5 Does and 7 bucks on one outing, then 7 Does and 3 bucks yesterday, but this morning...it looked like I had walked into the 'nursery'. Not a single deer over 1.5 years old.

Took a look at the game cameras and the larger bucks are all moving at night right now on my place.

Move to another area like where I am and it is about the same random activity. The last week of bow season the bucks were active in the daylight with the cooler temps. New bucks were moving in and mature bucks were showing up in the daylight. The morning hunts were really good. Rain and acorns changed their movement since. Morning hunts have been bad the last 2 weeks now. Evening hunts are much better, seeing 2 to 3 times as many deer in the evening as mornings. During first part of this week we had cold all day long, rain, drizzle, fog or overcast for several days. I hardly saw any deer then one evening hunt it broke loose when I saw over 10 bucks with some fighting and bucks trailing after does. The next morning only 2 deer and the next couple of mornings the same till this morning when I saw 12 does/fawns but only 1 buck. Every evening since that really active one has been great hunting. I thought our rut was about to kick off big time, but bucks are not traveling during the mornings hours nor following in the does. They will check them and chase them around but they are not doing like they would in the rut. The rut is normally starting here the week before Thanksgiving so it should be any day now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum