Texas Hunting Forum

how long to leave deer on ice?

Posted By: Stratgolfer

how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 02:13 PM

Shot a deer on Sunday, processor said they're not taking deer until Monday. Should I stick the meat in the chest freezer or is it OK to leave on ice in the cooler over the weekend?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 02:19 PM

perfectly fine to leave it up to 2 weeks or so.

open the drain, put a brick under the opposite end of the drain and keep plenty of ice on it.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 02:21 PM

I process all of my own Venison and typically leave them on ice (drain and fill cooler when needed) at least three days..
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
I process all of my own Venison and typically leave them on ice (drain and fill cooler when needed) at least three days..

Agree. Works very well.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 03:42 PM

I leave mine on ice for at least a week to bleed out
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 03:49 PM

It is fine for a couple more days.
Posted By: anthonyh821

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 04:00 PM

Sorry for the dumb question but for you guys that do this is the meat directly touching the ice or do you keep it in bags? If in bags then how does the blood drain?
Posted By: donswin

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 04:14 PM

I put bagged ice in the bottom of a good cooler with the meat on top. I peek in once in a while to be sure there is still ice in the bags and it is cold.

I trim the backstrap and tenderloin when I get home and vacuum seal it.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyh821
Sorry for the dumb question but for you guys that do this is the meat directly touching the ice or do you keep it in bags? If in bags then how does the blood drain?

I do not put the meat in bags if I have a clean cooler and clean ice.

If either is suspect I will bag it. Don't use scented bags.
Posted By: anthonyh821

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

Gotcha! Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 05:01 PM

I go to walmart and get the XXL ziplocks. They are big enough to fit a whole deer in! Cooler clean or not, I use bags. Fill the bag and lay it on the ice on it's side so that the blood can drain out the top of the bag.
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 05:10 PM

I've started putting a grate on blocks with ice under it and frozen water bottles on top and around the meat.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 05:33 PM

I try not to let my venison sit for more than a week. I put my venison in a bag and put it on ice. I know several hunters who put their meat directly into the cooler with no bag and lots of ice and water. I don't like the meat resting directly inside the water. But it stays cold.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 06:13 PM

Both loose and bagged ice.

Pro tip put few 2x4 pieces or few wood blocks on the bottom of cooler to help keep meat out of any water accumulation
Posted By: wsjaxIV

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 06:43 PM

Not a problem to let it sit until Monday. Meat will have less of a "gamey" taste by allowing blood to run off.
Posted By: breadman

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/08/19 06:53 PM

14 days for me and it relly takes the gametaste and oder out of it .
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/09/19 01:59 AM

I use frozen water bottles...No draining of water. I have them processed before the next weekend, usually by Wednesday.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/10/19 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I try not to let my venison sit for more than a week. I put my venison in a bag and put it on ice. I know several hunters who put their meat directly into the cooler with no bag and lots of ice and water. I don't like the meat resting directly inside the water. But it stays cold.

No water touching any red meat. This makes for dry meat. Fish an chicken I freeze in water. I bag my venison and use frozen milk jugs to keep cold. I process my own including grinding and sausage. I have one lease mate that thinks it is ok to hang deer in shade at 60 degrees. Not me. I don't even field dress. I hang, skin, dump guts in bucket and quarter almost immediately.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: how long to leave deer on ice? - 11/10/19 02:02 PM

No not me they sure don't age beef in water! Find a locker or deer cooler and let it hang and the muscles stretch for a few days.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum