Texas Hunting Forum

Should I sleep in

Posted By: mow

Should I sleep in - 11/07/19 01:22 PM

Well I did for the first time ...ever..getting old I guess..cold front here in coke county dropped temps down into the high 30's wit driving rain..well woke up this morning and went out to my truck where I get cell service..radar showed a break in the rain..went back into trailer got dressed and was going out..decided to drink another cup and study the radar again..well there was a break in the weather...but only for about an hour..then it's supposed to explode info 90 percent chance until about 3pm..well I decide to sleep in..temp was dropping fast..turned on heater but another blanket on my bed..hopped under the covers and tried to go to sleep...when my phone exploded with texts from my cell camera..I hop out if bed ..but on my coveralls run outside ant this is the first pix I see..a buck I've never seen..I would not have shot this buck..he is not old enough..no mass..but still a good buck..as I'm typing this his..my phone is still sending me alerts if more pix coming in..while it's pouring down rain
[Linked Image]
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Should I sleep in - 11/07/19 01:31 PM

That buck is fully mature. Plenty old enough to shoot but, if I didn't like him and didn't need to cull, I wouldn't shoot him either.
Posted By: wsjaxIV

Re: Should I sleep in - 11/07/19 01:56 PM

Just remember, you might not kill anything on ANY trip to your hunting area but you definitely won't kill anything from the bed. I don't know what your standards or lease rules are for taking a buck but that one is mature and isn't doing the gene pool any favors. I'd take him - but that's me. Best of luck! Post some more pics of what came to your camera this morning.

Re: Should I sleep in - 11/07/19 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
That buck is fully mature. Plenty old enough to shoot but, if I didn't like him and didn't need to cull, I wouldn't shoot him either.

I'm waiting for a more mature deer

Re: Should I sleep in - 11/07/19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by wsjaxIV
Just remember, you might not kill anything on ANY trip to your hunting area but you definitely won't kill anything from the bed. I don't know what your standards or lease rules are for taking a buck but that one is mature and isn't doing the gene pool any favors. I'd take him - but that's me. Best of luck! Post some more pics of what came to your camera this morning.

Lease rules say 4.5 years 8pts or better..I'm looking for bigger mass.thanks
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Should I sleep in - 11/07/19 02:35 PM

Good luck, mow. I slept in this morning too. Back at it now though. If that buck doesn't get you excited I wouldn't shoot it either. Our ranch rules are 2 bucks max, on 300 acres. One needs to be a cull. I'm not ready to burn a tag just yet. Still have venison in the freezer from last year. BTW, how are those big bucks at "Pecan"? You see chasing yet? You're only about 18 miles from me.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Should I sleep in - 11/07/19 02:38 PM

Some of my better hunting has been in a light rain. My wifes two largest bucks came in sleet storms about 10 years apart.
I've never slept in, but sometimes its a big fight with myself.

Re: Should I sleep in - 11/07/19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
Good luck, mow. I slept in this morning too. Back at it now though. If that buck doesn't get you excited I wouldn't shoot it either. Our ranch rules are 2 bucks max, on 300 acres. One needs to be a cull. I'm not ready to burn a tag just yet. Still have venison in the freezer from last year. BTW, how are those big bucks at "Pecan"? You see chasing yet? You're only about 18 miles from me.

Yes..saw some nice 8,10,12 pt at pecan..chaising by the countryclub side..but haven't seen giant droptine I've seen lat 3 years..rut here is still going on..still chaising..fellow hunting friends got their nice bucks earlier in bow season..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum