Texas Hunting Forum

Injured deer

Posted By: MWTX270

Injured deer - 11/04/19 03:07 PM

I have this buck, that just lives under my corn feeder. I noticed he licks up the corn, and cannot hardly chew. I just went through a bunch of pictures and realized he has a broke jaw. He is just skin and bones, and I hate to see him suffer. Thinking about calling the game warden and see if I can shoot him, and put him out of his misery. What would you do? He is not a legal buck in an AR county, and I don't think he would be good to eat.

Attached picture 20191104_085513.jpg
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Injured deer - 11/04/19 03:17 PM

Probably not legal in AR county but he needs to be tag soup and out of his misery
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Injured deer - 11/04/19 03:17 PM

Nature is cruel sometimes. If he's not legal I doubt the gamewarden will tell you to break the law.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Injured deer - 11/04/19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Nature is cruel sometimes. If he's not legal I doubt the gamewarden will tell you to break the law.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Injured deer - 11/04/19 03:24 PM

Sometimes you just have to do what's right
Posted By: brucedonnovan

Re: Injured deer - 11/04/19 04:15 PM

We had a deer like this where his skull looked broke and one side antler came around by his mouth like a facemask. Game Warden said not to shoot, but send him a picture. After he saw it he said go ahead and take him if we see him again. We never saw him again.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Injured deer - 11/04/19 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by AdvTX
Sometimes you just have to do what's right

I would have no problem putting him out of his misery and not using a tag.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Injured deer - 11/04/19 06:47 PM

If he is in that bad of shape he'll be coyote dinner before you know it. I'd let him walk personally and let nature figure it out because he might make it. If you're conscience is bothering you that bad though maybe you might want to speed things up for him. I wouldn't worry about it much one way or the other.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: Injured deer - 11/04/19 06:53 PM

Sss
Posted By: don k

Re: Injured deer - 11/04/19 07:47 PM

I would have shot him long before even asking anyone.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Injured deer - 11/05/19 05:31 PM

Shoot
And don’t discuss on a public forum if you are going to shoot.
I would prefer a bullet over being eaten alive by coyotes.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Injured deer - 11/05/19 05:48 PM

If you want to put him out of his misery, talk to the GW first. This will keep you out of trouble.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Injured deer - 11/05/19 06:01 PM

Call the game warden, describe the deer and send him the picture showing the broken jaw. I bet they will tell you to shoot it and then call them to let them know so they can give you a resource tag for it.
Posted By: wsjaxIV

Re: Injured deer - 11/05/19 06:51 PM

Yes, call a game warden and ask him for options. I would leave out of your request that you are interested in the meat as that throws cold water on the idea of you altruistically putting the deer out of its misery. Best of luck.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: Injured deer - 11/05/19 08:35 PM

SSS
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Injured deer - 11/05/19 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan at Fork
Call the game warden, describe the deer and send him the picture showing the broken jaw. I bet they will tell you to shoot it and then call them to let them know so they can give you a resource tag for it.

X2
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Injured deer - 11/05/19 08:58 PM

I would put the deer in the care of the game warden...let him do what is right. He probably will have you take him out and leave the meat for the yotes. The meat will probably be tough as cowhide anyway. By going the correct line you can't go wrong. If you decide to take it on yourself ...be prepared for the consequences as there is a game warden on this forum. He will probably contact you and give you the information you will need for dispensing the carcass...that's my guess....and 2 cents.
Posted By: Nightlight

Re: Injured deer - 11/06/19 12:48 AM

Not worth a fine or worse. Call the GW as others have mentioned.

Re: Injured deer - 11/07/19 01:02 PM

If a GW would give a citation for putting down an animal that was going to die a slow death that GW. I better not finish this before I offend anyone.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Injured deer - 11/07/19 01:21 PM

Shoot him. Sometimes it is hard or sometimes impossible to find them,especially if they run off.

Re: Injured deer - 11/07/19 03:58 PM

This poor Deer has been suffering for at least 4 days now. Shoot him if he is not already dead. A lot f folks on here have spent way too much time on pavement. Just do what is right. You don't have to ask permission for everything.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Injured deer - 11/07/19 04:01 PM

Outcome???
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Injured deer - 11/07/19 04:01 PM

Talk to a GW in that County. Tell him (or her in some cases) you want to do the right thing and maybe offer to donate the meat.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Injured deer - 11/07/19 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by don k
This poor Deer has been suffering for at least 4 days now. Shoot him if he is not already dead. A lot f folks on here have spent way too much time on pavement. Just do what is right. You don't have to ask permission for everything.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Injured deer - 11/08/19 02:13 AM

rifle
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Injured deer - 11/08/19 02:55 AM

I couldn’t imagine calling a Game warden for some of this common sense stuff.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum