Texas Hunting Forum

Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack

Posted By: DQ Kid

Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/02/19 08:19 PM

Recent picture of a mainframe 12, my first to date that I recall got me wondering if some still or ever hunted for number of antler points. While hunting Laredo as a kid, 35-40+ years ago, I believe I used to but stopped about as long ago. My best was 14. This particular 12 on camera looks to be 4-5yo, could be something really good if he makes it another year or two. Have you ever or do you or your kids hunt for points and what is your personal highest number? Will post some pics later when have computer access to do so.
Posted By: Big8

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/02/19 09:04 PM

I hunt for a mature buck in my area so no I don’t look for points, I did shoot a strange looking 11 point a few years back that was at least 5 years old.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/02/19 10:33 PM

I had a great 9 point on the place, and watched him for 3 years, hoping he’d add a point. Never did, so I took him as a 9.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 12:44 AM

I have killed them with ever number of points from 1 to 12, really I do not count points any more, if I like the deer and want it then I will take it. If not then I enjoy watching the deer.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 02:18 AM

I have taken deer from 0 points to 12 points. The only one missing is 11. Not hung up on point count at all...however, would like to fill that 11 point gap... deer2
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 02:23 AM

I had hunters pass up 8 pointers to kill a 10 pointer with a lesser rack.

Counting points imo went out a long time ago
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 02:34 AM

If I'm lucky enough to kill a buck with more than usual points I consider that a bonus up
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 03:00 AM

It depends. If I shoot a 130 with 12 points, then I shot a 10 point Buck. If I shoot a 160 8 pointer, then I shot a deer that scored 160! banana
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 10:48 AM

Doesn't matter. If you want to hunt by age, points, B&C, size of body, etc... Its up to you what is important, not what others think. Too many problems come up when people try to keep up with the Jones'.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 10:54 AM

It was the norm when I started hunting.....quit that many years ago.....
Posted By: Jon P

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 03:00 PM

When I was younger the points were what I cared about. Now I am looking at the size of deer and how old. Like grammy says " no matter how long you boil them, those horns just never get tender".
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 06:37 PM

IMO a free range mature 12 point typical buck is a true trophy. They are pretty rare in the wild deer world and pretty mounts.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 08:37 PM

I normally don't, but I did it this weekend with a 12 point mostly because of the number of points and the fact I was hunting with my Winchester 94 that I've never taken anything with. It was an impulse shot.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/03/19 10:15 PM

I am to the point that one deer is all we need. The first one that shows up drew the short straw and will be in the way to the freezer.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/04/19 02:29 AM

I don’t hunt for points, but have had points make me shoot before if that makes sense.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Does anybody hunt for number of Points on a Rack - 11/04/19 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by huntwest
IMO a free range mature 12 point typical buck is a true trophy. They are pretty rare in the wild deer world and pretty mounts.

I can only remember seeing 1 mainframe 6x6 that we killed. It was high fence but native pasture born deer. We had another 6x6 on our place that we had a hunter get greedy and shoot as a 3 year old. I can count on one hand how many I have seen in a wild deer.

My partner has killed 3 gorgeous main frame 6x6's. Two were in South Texas one was in Canada. His daughter killed one last year that was a gorgeous mainframe 6x6 as well, Webb County low fence. They are just lucky
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum