Texas Hunting Forum

So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend?

Posted By: Texas Dan

So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 01:20 PM

Some of you may be familiar with how the rock group "Three Dog Night" came up with the name for their group. As I understand it, there was a tribe of natives somewhere in the world that would gauge the coldness in the air of a given night by the number of dogs they needed to sleep with in order to stay warm.

It would seem the very same could be said for the expected cold for this coming Opening Weekend. Some might say it's going to be a two or three bottle weekend, eluding to the number of propane bottles they will need to keep a heater going in their camper, tent, or deer stand. And let's not forget those who may count the number of glass bottles needed to consume a sufficient amount of "anti-freeze" needed for themselves and their crew. Yes, I suspect the liquor stores will have an above average opening weekend as well.

Stay warm but also be sure to stay safe this weekend my friends.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 01:46 PM

I don't drink except for the occasional brew. I also think you have too much time on your hands....... smile
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 02:29 PM

I enjoy a cocktail in the stand from time to time, now when the firearms get put away its party time for opening weekend smile
Posted By: 603Country

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 03:06 PM

Family tradition is to have a “kill drink” if the hunt is successful. I follow that tradition. More of a ‘two glass’ rather than ‘two bottle’.

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 04:49 PM

The numbers show that sheer carelessness, rather than alcohol, is the attributing factor in most shooting-related accidents.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 04:53 PM

I don't drink much anymore...so it would be none for me.

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I don't drink much anymore...so it would be none for me.

Neither do I, but I just grabbed another bottle of propane just in case I need to run my heater both mornings.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Family tradition is to have a “kill drink” if the hunt is successful. I follow that tradition. More of a ‘two glass’ rather than ‘two bottle’.

Our old land lady was great, miss her. You drug a deer up to the skinning pole and she'd be along shortly with a beer for you and her. Hot, cold, or 7 in the morning didn't matter. If you didn't drink high life or Milwaukie's Best you were sol though.

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 05:06 PM

The discussion brings to mind how some always seem to show up at deer camp with just enough food and drink for themselves. Not as many bottles required no doubt.
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by 603Country

Our old land lady was great, miss her. You drug a deer up to the skinning pole and she'd be along shortly with a beer for you and her. Hot, cold, or 7 in the morning didn't matter. If you didn't drink high life or Milwaukie's Best you were sol though.

Your comments bring to mind how some folks always seem to show up at deer camp with just enough food and drink for themselves. Not as many bottles or cans required no doubt.
Posted By: diablodog

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 06:25 PM

Back to the original question , it will not be too cold so I will bring my 1 man - 2 dog tent . I still rate the weather by dogs .
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 11:19 PM

When it gets really cold I hunt about 100 yards behind the house at #7, with electric heat. Dont think I'll need it saturday morning so probably put on layers and hike to #6 stand

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 11:25 PM

Almost forgot. I'm not much of a hard liquor fella these days, makes my head hurt too bad the next day. But you know that I will either have some 'T J Swan', Ripple, or some Couvoisier. Can you pick up what I'm layin' down my Brothers? smile ani
Posted By: rickym

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 11:30 PM

We will celebrate the season for sure, won’t crack a bottle unless a kill is made. Propane, it’s not cold enough yet.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 11:42 PM

Just enough propane to knock the chill out of the blind first thing in the mornings.. We are forecasted to be low 30s in the mornings and 50-60s during the day. Doubt that Ill be drinking.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 10/31/19 11:54 PM

Three bottles for Mr heater, and one bottle for the hunters... Just in case!
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 11/01/19 12:07 AM

Always take a 12 pack with me.
Pepsi that is.

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 11/01/19 01:01 AM

My favorite Baptist joke, which I feel warranted to share since I am a Southern Baptist...

Three facts in life...

1. Jews don't recognize Jesus as being the Savior of the World

2. Protestants don't recognize the Pope as head of the Christian faith

3. Baptists don't recognize one another in the liquor store.

Re: So will it be a one, two, or three bottle weekend? - 11/01/19 02:50 PM

Good one Dan.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum