Texas Hunting Forum

Son was drawn for hunt

Posted By: texastbone

Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 12:39 AM

My son was drawn thru tyhp for a hunt first weekend of Nov. For gillispie county near stonewall anyone have any idea on deer or exotic thanks
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 01:18 AM

I take it this is your first hunt with them? If so, you're in great hands, I did 4 I think with my 2 boys, all of them were great hunts. You'll be assigned a "guide" who'll know what they're doing and will teach you and son. They'll be with you from truck to stand and back. Just show up and listen.

Good luck on your hunt!
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 01:32 AM

Do you know if it is on the Hershey ranch?

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 03:23 AM

Yes it is

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 12:22 PM

There is a good population of deer.
Hard to say for sure what you'll see on any particular day, very good chance you'll see deer on every hunt.

I don't know about exotics on that specific place, there is plenty in the general area. I know Johnson city east I don't see many, starting outside of Hye to Fredericksburg quite a few.
Mostly axis.

If they still do it, the fishing on Hershey can be really good.

Im sure you know it, Paris to Stonewall is a good drive to get there by the 2pm arrival time.

Do you have all the info from TYHP?

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 02:20 PM

Yes sir will have to leave around 7 to get there in time
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 02:36 PM

Congrats to your son for being drawn clap

Good luck be safe and have a wonderful time up
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 02:39 PM

Congrats on the draw! Maybe someday.... I’ve put in for 28 the last three years and put my son in this year for 6... no dice.

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 02:44 PM

TYHP shows they have spots open, supposedly only the ones in purple or marked full are full.

---> TYHP schedule

I have to wait a minute for the page to fully load.

Good luck & I hope y'all have a great time.

Those folks really do a great job for the youth.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 03:03 PM

up Good luck to your son.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Congrats on the draw! Maybe someday.... I’ve put in for 28 the last three years and put my son in this year for 6... no dice.

I would call and nicely ask about this, something doesn’t seem right. Your first hunt submission will get you a hunt pretty quick, others should come around more often.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/25/19 08:28 PM

When young my 2 boys hunted a ranch twice in Robert Lee, TX. Through TYHP and had a blast. 80 does had to be removed from the ranch and all the kids did their part.
TYHP is a great origination.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/26/19 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65

Are you putting your son in on the TYHP hunts at https://www.tyhp.org ? They normally give preference to kids that have not drawn a hunt with them before. I have helped run several hunts with them and that was the policy.

Congrats to the OP and his son. hope you all have a great time, I always enjoyed working the turkey hunts I guided and help run. The hunts give what is expected to be hunted on the hunt and if exotics are available as well.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 10/26/19 01:44 AM

Looking on the listings for that hunt Deer, hogs and exotics are listed. They will inform you the details at the orientation.

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 11/01/19 02:55 AM

Hes excited starts tomorrow I'll try and post pics
Posted By: LittleFrank

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 11/01/19 05:27 AM

Best of luck to your son.

Re: Son was drawn for hunt - 11/03/19 12:16 PM

He has harvested 2 antlerless so far highly recommended texas youth hunting program
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum