Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Hunting Myths

Posted By: Texas Dan

Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 02:40 PM

While I've seen the "Myths" approach used in many topic areas, I can't say I remember such a list being thrown around here.

Here's my starting list of those things that leave me questioning if they are 100% true. (Disclaimer- Some of these I "repurposed" from other articles.

1. It's possible through the use of sprays, soaps, and other products to make it difficult to impossible for a deer to smell you.

2. Rubber boots will keep a deer from smelling where you have walked.

3. There's no difference between deer and human urine.

4. Big bucks rub big trees and small bucks rub smaller trees.

5. ?
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 02:41 PM

5. Once a spike always a spike
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 02:43 PM

6. Mature bucks will not eat at a corn feeder in the daylight.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 03:52 PM

7.Taken a leak near your feeder will run off the deer
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 03:58 PM

The wind and weather are PERFECT on the same day you told your Wife you'd take her out to lunch.

You ask if you can go hunting today and take her to lunch another day.

She says "That's Fine". frown
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
The wind and weather are PERFECT on the same day you told your Wife you'd take her out to lunch.

Ha - never trust a "that's fine".
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 05:04 PM

I never lost a deer shooting one with my .223!

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
I never lost a deer shooting one with my .223!

eek2

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JB1316
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Ha - never trust a "that's fine".

It's all in the tone. "Okay" can mean many things. "Whatever" is the word you don't want to hear because it really means "shove it."
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 06:49 PM

Deer are smart.

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Deer are smart.

Deer have never been on the endangered species list so there might be something to that!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan

In my experience this usually holds true, although I have seen big bucks also rub small trees.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 07:25 PM

Deer avoid high traffic areas.

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

In my experience this usually holds true, although I have seen big bucks also rub small trees.

That has been my experience as well. Small bucks tend to rub small trees, whereas big bucks will rub both.

IMO, the indicators that often get missed with rubs is how high they are on the tree and how they indicate the direction the buck was traveling when he made the rub. A rub that's higher on the tree indicates a larger buck most likely made it. Also, if the rub is facing the direction of a bedding area or away from the feeding area, the buck probably made it in the evening after he had left his bed and was heading out to feed. And likewise, if the direction is the opposite of known bedding and feeding areas, he probably made it in the morning when he was headed back to bed.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/24/19 10:32 PM

I've heard way too many BS statements to recall them all. I do remember though that the most outrageous ones are uttered by the most obnoxious ones. Our avocation is crowded with lots of "experts". I do believe, however, that the guy that throws his weight around the most has killed the fewest deer in any given setting. up

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/25/19 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I've heard way too many BS statements to recall them all. I do remember though that the most outrageous ones are uttered by the most obnoxious ones. Our avocation is crowded with lots of "experts". I do believe, however, that the guy that throws his weight around the most has killed the fewest deer in any given setting. up

Good point. The hunter who is most quiet around the camp fire is more than likely the one who is seeing the most and biggest deer.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/25/19 12:27 AM

Ozonics work is a myth.....if it did every drug runner in the world would buy every unit.

When the cows are eating so are the deer

High Fence shooting is the same as hunting
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/25/19 12:29 AM

Deer don't see colors...
Posted By: BrangusVA

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/25/19 06:52 PM

Antler color depends on the trees they rub.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/25/19 07:03 PM

Some of those aren’t absolutes, but they aren’t “myths” either.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/25/19 09:16 PM

I am now an "old timer", but the old timers before me use to always cut the downed deers throat.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/25/19 10:10 PM

That the rut is started by cold weather.

I have had people tell me “ yeah I don’t think we had a rut this year, just wasn’t cold enough “
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/25/19 10:40 PM

Size matters
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/25/19 11:00 PM

Deer are smart.

They may not be “smart” in the Einstein sense, but it’s hard to put any other adjective on a buck that can elude hunters his entire life and die of old age. I have known some like that.

You may choose “elusive” or whatever, but I’ll continue to call those deer smart - damn sure smarter than all the guys trying to kill them.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/25/19 11:16 PM

I say this one is true " Ten out of ten deer ignore celebrity endorsements"

Posted By: Big8

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/26/19 01:55 AM

Smoking in the stand keeps deer away, my FIL has disproved that over and over!

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/26/19 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
That the rut is started by cold weather.

I have had people tell me “ yeah I don’t think we had a rut this year, just wasn’t cold enough “

A Top 5 choice for sure.

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/26/19 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Deer are smart.

They may not be “smart” in the Einstein sense, but it’s hard to put any other adjective on a buck that can elude hunters his entire life and die of old age. I have known some like that.

You may choose “elusive” or whatever, but I’ll continue to call those deer smart - damn sure smarter than all the guys trying to kill them.

Maybe he was referring to a young spike or even an older buck during the rut. grin
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/28/19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Deer are smart.

We found a buck in a briar patch in WV that went in opening morning and stayed all week. We knew because it snowed that morning and the only tracks out were from when he was jumped.
Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/28/19 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Ozonics work is a myth.....if it did every drug runner in the world would buy every unit.

"Ozonics work is a myth.....if it did every drug runner in the world would buy every unit." That's a good point!

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/29/19 02:30 PM

People with high post counts are experts!...... peep
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/29/19 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
People with high post counts are experts!...... peep

rifle
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/30/19 12:59 AM

10 percent of the hunters kill 90 percent of the deer..... At least in east Texas. bolt
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/30/19 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by 5Redman8

Neighbor says when the cows are lying down the fish are not biting. I guess cows are also a good predictor fo deer hunting too.
Posted By: Ftttu

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/30/19 03:55 AM

Be careful of where you field dress your deer because the gut pile will scare off the deer. If you did field dress at a feeder, the deer would be eating around and over the pile...if not even take a nibble or two of the pile. I'm not saying to do that, but it really isn't going to scare them off where you do...that is until the coyotes arrive.
Posted By: Bobby_G

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/30/19 01:49 PM

May not be a myth...but I am certain deer are Democrats...

They eat corn for FREE
The bed down on my place for FREE
They get educated for FREE - had a NICE 10 point last year see me move in my stand. He was 250 yds away down the main sendero. Sucker would stare at my blind EVERY time he came out and never get closer than 250 yds. Nice deer...not a shooter YET....but he be educated

...and finally...I think they are ALL illegal immigrants - havent heard a one of them speak the first word of English...
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/30/19 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
10 percent of the hunters kill 90 percent of the deer..... At least in east Texas. bolt

That's not a myth, that's a true statement!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/31/19 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.

That's not a myth, that's a true statement!

Outside of season... bolt
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/31/19 12:03 PM

Old deer are tough and gamey

Re: Deer Hunting Myths - 10/31/19 12:26 PM

It's also true that 90% of the harvest during any given year occurs during the first two weeks of the season.

You need only compare the number of shots you hear on Opening Day with those heard during the third weekend of the season and beyond to believe that one.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum