Texas Hunting Forum

Best region of Texas to hunt

Posted By: wigginsEST

Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 06:06 PM

Just curios, whats everyone’s favorite part of the state to hunt in and why?
Posted By: don k

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 06:19 PM

My favorite is South Texas. You never know what you may see. WT, Javelina, hogs, Bobcat coyote Turkey. Amazing area but I would not want to live there.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 06:22 PM

Golden Triangle in the south Texas brush country. I like BIG deer, quail hunting, dove hunting, duck hunting, artifact hunting, pretty song birds and remote ranches. Many of the ranches have excellent bass fishing. And plenty of hogs, javelina, and predators.
Posted By: spg

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 06:43 PM

South Texas#1 Hill Country#2
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 06:50 PM

North west at the bottom of the panhandle on the caprock......big white tail and mule deer, every varmit and predator you can imagine except for bear.......vistas you can see for miles in every direction.......cheers
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 07:00 PM

My little slice of Heaven looks like South Texas brush country.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 07:05 PM

they all have their unique desires to me ... South TX for variety and big deer, lower panhandle around Clarendon offers big deer (both WT & mule) with amazing views, west TX for rugged terrain, hill country for seeing lot s of game with some decent size deer and east TX has some good deer too... for general hunting, I would opt for the hill country as that is where I was raised and love that type of terrain and seeing lots of game ... but for trophy hunting, South or lower Panhandle.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 07:06 PM

I just cant do it. Life’s to short to narrow it down to just one.

I love the brush country and calling of the quail, but long for the high plains, and the West Texas terrain changes beg for me to look over into the next ridge, yet the hill country BBQ and Llano river consume my soul.

One thing is for sure it To hell with those east of 45 skeeters!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I love the brush country and calling of the quail, but long for the high plains, and the West Texas terrain changes beg for me to look over into the next ridge, yet the hill country BBQ and Llano river consume my soul.

up texas
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 08:49 PM

Post Oak Savannah region. Nothing I like better than to be sitting high up in a tree in the fall with the multi-colored leaves falling and blowing around.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 08:51 PM

"Golden Triangle in the south Texas brush country. I like BIG deer, quail hunting, dove hunting, duck hunting, artifact hunting, pretty song birds and remote ranches. Many of the ranches have excellent bass fishing. And plenty of hogs, javelina, and predators."

Don't forget the turkey, rattlers, blue indigos, nilgai, badgers, bunny rabbits, pear blossoms, sunrises and sunsets.
Posted By: spg

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 08:55 PM

Salivating being there now, South Texas that is...…….Once my kids are out of school there will be a for sale sign on my house and property and I'll be heading to South Texas. Can't stand Louisiana
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 09:06 PM

Tejas del Sur para mio!

Or at least that is how I'd say, "South Texas for me!" If the deer weren't moving, it's only a short drive to the coast to go 'hunt' reds and trout!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 09:14 PM

Caprock of northwest Texas. My house and land in Erath county. Hill country views but bigger deer. Absolutely stunning scenery in the fall with sumac and Spanish oaks on the hillsides. Close to DFW too.
Posted By: TyBU

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/08/19 09:26 PM

Northwest Texas in the King County area. That is my favorite place to hunt in Texas by far.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 12:24 AM

South Texas Circa 1998 before the eagle ford boom was my favorite.

These days I like the area around Juno/ Loma Alta for whitetail and aoudad.

The Trans Pecos area around the Glass Mountains for Mule Deer and Aoudad

I just like drier more mountainous terrain for hunting.

Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 12:35 AM

Hill country. Never know what might show up.
Posted By: DeleteThisAccount

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 03:10 AM

My favorite part of the state to hunt is whatever part has what I'm hunting at the time that I'm hunting it smile It's like a new favorite place every time I step out of my truck smile
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 11:33 AM

"]My favorite part of the state to hunt is whatever part has what I'm hunting at the time that I'm hunting it smile It's like a new favorite place every time I step out of my truck."

That there is awesome! Attitude of the guys I prefer to hunt with. Thank you!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 01:04 PM

I grew up hunting the hill country in the early 60's and into the 70's when it was fairly pristine and you didn't see many rooftops, and if there were they were old ranch houses. That was back when the springs actually flowed.
Pearl beer was brewed in SA and their advertisement label was brewed "From the Country of 1100 springs" and I doubt you would find a flowing spring anywhere near nowadays.
I still love to hunt there just further away, but my old stomping grounds have been turned into paved parking lots and rooftops as far as the eye can see.
South Texas has always been a favorite as well, but all the cut roads and truck traffic has made it not the same either.
Then the sand hills and blackjack oaks south of San Antonio used to be some awesome hunting as well, but even that is going away as the city spreads to the south with it's population growth.
Today it's a small ranch to the south about a 30 minute drive from my drive way.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
North west at the bottom of the panhandle on the caprock......big white tail and mule deer, every varmit and predator you can imagine except for bear.......vistas you can see for miles in every direction.......cheers

Yup
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

That's why God invented Thermacell.
Posted By: StarvoResources

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 01:38 PM

Several hours east of Lubbock where the Llano Estacado goes into canyons.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Binary
My favorite part of the state to hunt is whatever part has what I'm hunting at the time that I'm hunting it smile It's like a new favorite place every time I step out of my truck smile

X2
Posted By: tlk

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 02:47 PM

Maverick County
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 04:17 PM

[Linked Image]

This is the little slice of heaven our family hunts just North of Denton. Beautiful places everywhere!!
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Best region of Texas to hunt - 10/09/19 06:56 PM

I'll take the East side of the TX Panhandle.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum