Texas Hunting Forum

Not sure what to do here

Posted By: B Razorback

Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 05:04 AM

Alright so here is my situation. You guys can shut me down and call me stupid because I know I'm probably too late for this, but I just got permission today to hunt a small field roughly 70 yards by 50 yards. The owner says I can do whatever I want to it for the purpose of deer hunting, but he would like for me to clear out all the tall grass. Here is my issue though. I can't bring any type of tractor or four wheeler in there and the grass is already above waist height. I know this is extremely far fetched given the conditions, but is there anything I can do that can eliminate the grass for this season (and possibly seasons to come) so I can try to plant something soon without any type of equipment? I understand if I can't plant anything, but if there is at least something that can eliminate the grass, that would be very helpful! Thanks!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 07:53 AM

If there are hogs on it just start throwing out bags of corn and there will be no grass where you do.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 10:27 AM

is the tall grass Johnson grass? If so you might have to bring like a 5 gallon back back sprayer with some type of chemical to kill it, then replant with something easy that you can basically throw on the ground like Rye grass or?
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 11:26 AM

Just weed eat it or hand mow it with those wheeled weed whackers and they may stop for the new growth and give you a shot.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 11:51 AM

How you gonna keep every bullet inside of 50x70yds?

That’s ridiculous.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 12:11 PM

2/3 of an acre? How are you going to track anything you shoot that does not drop in it's tracks? scratch I think I will try to lease out my front yard..... nidea
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 02:14 PM

If that’s his only hunting spot, so be it. Over the decades I have hunted some small patches. Get a movable tripod or ladder stand and put it downwind of the patch. If you have to cut the weeds, do it now so that they will grow back to some degree prior to the season. Deer feel more comfortable if there’s grass for cover. Knee high would be about right.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
2/3 of an acre? How are you going to track anything you shoot that does not drop in it's tracks? scratch I think I will try to lease out my front yard..... nidea

PM sent

Don't none of y'all try to snipe this deal from me either.

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

PM sent

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And I'll mow the grass grin

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 03:36 PM

PM sent

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Has David sent you pictures from my cameras? You're not the only one giving me [censored] about the grass being tall around my feeders rofl

An old man I used to fish against stopped by my boat one day and asked...."you have a couple bags of watermelon seed ultra vibe worms". My response was "Baits are awful expensive on the water, the price goes up 5-10x"...his response I always got a kick out of "Son, I'm short on a lot of things but money isn't one of them...give me two bags" roflmao

So having said that I'll take the front yard but only if you'll throw in the two side yards and I promise to always be suppressed, sounds like we're getting close to a deal roflmao

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 03:50 PM

PM sent

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Has David sent you pictures from my cameras? You're not the only one giving me [censored] about the grass being tall around my feeders rofl

An old man I used to fish against stopped by my boat one day and asked...."you have a couple bags of watermelon seed ultra vibe worms". My response was "Baits are awful expensive on the water, the price goes up 5-10x"...his response I always got a kick out of "Son, I'm short on a lot of things but money isn't one of them...give me two bags" roflmao

So having said that I'll take the front yard but only if you'll throw in the two side yards and I promise to always be suppressed, sounds like we're getting close to a deal roflmao

He sent me pics of a 3 yr old he said you had your sights on bolt grin He has sent me pics but I think mainly from his setups so far...he is kinda stingy like that with his pics when he want to be. He told me that blind with the tall grass was his hammer You have to watch him. grin
These 2 bucks and 2 others were at the water trough just outside the front yard right before dark last night. Front porch shot with a bow is not out of the question. grin The 10 looked better in person vs. the trail cam pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 03:59 PM

watermelon seed ultra vibe worms".

With a name like that I figured he was gonna tell you he wasn't short on something else! roflmao

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 04:12 PM

Damn it....posting pictures like that only increases that cost bang . I like that big 8 the best though.

Yeah, he wasn't happy about the 3 year old comment....he'll get over it once we ground check him. lol35

Great point RC...maybe I should've just used wat red flukes wink
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 04:30 PM

Judd, he should be paying you to come take those pencil thin antlered deer off his property. Nuisance animals more than anything else. Drive a hard bargain and you'd be surprised what you might get coach whip

stir
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/03/19 06:03 PM

https://youtu.be/MZbwzYJAFlQ
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/04/19 12:24 AM

Elevation is your friend. My place is 750 acres but honestly, I regularly hunt an area not much bigger than what you describe. I'd put up a tall tri-pod stand, or a high hang-on, and shoot down at them, not out. I've got one little finger of land on my place just big enough for a feeder pen and a ladder stand. It's in a great place, though, and I've pinned a lot of bucks to the ground hunting that stand. Best of luck and be safe!
Posted By: B Razorback

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/04/19 02:45 AM

I'm not rifle hunting, I'm bow hunting. The owner doesn't give a care if I have to track down a deer outside of that "field" but he does care about what I do to that field. Plus it's free, so I'd like to leave a good impression for years to come. I feel like if I try to cut everything down, it will grow back by the time it starts getting cold up here. I do like the pig idea though because I did see a lot of sign of them being in the area.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/04/19 11:53 AM

Might try a lighter and a small can of gas. grin
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/04/19 12:39 PM

Simple - scythe it. When the land owner see you doing this, he'll know you earned the right to hunt it. Just be sure he stands well behind you while you work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6raE818vz3o
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/04/19 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
How you gonna keep every bullet inside of 50x70yds?

That’s ridiculous.

Bow hunt. or shotgun
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/04/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
Just weed eat it or hand mow it with those wheeled weed whackers and they may stop for the new growth and give you a shot.

Troy Built makes a good one.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/04/19 07:39 PM

Might be able to find a rental walk behind brush hog like a DR Mower or a similar type device. Would make short work of that...
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Not sure what to do here - 09/04/19 07:42 PM

spend an hour with a weed eater with a metal blade and knock everything down. Then get high up in a tripod and stick something. Good luck
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum