Texas Hunting Forum

Best protein pellet for the money?

Posted By: David Maas

Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 11:45 AM

My feed store said they would order me what ever I wanted. I have been using the 18% pellets from Academy because they are handy. Poured a pile out so I can watch it on camera, doesn't appear to be going away fast.

I have a 50/50 of corn and pellets in the feeder now. I have one of Ramball36's 1000lb feeders coming and I am thinking of filling it up with just pellets in a separate, much larger pen and leaving the corn slinger for the pigs.

Thanks up front!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by David Maas
My feed store said they would order me what ever I wanted. I have been using the 18% pellets from Academy because they are handy. Poured a pile out so I can watch it on camera, doesn't appear to be going away fast.

I have a 50/50 of corn and pellets in the feeder now. I have one of Ramball36's 1000lb feeders coming and I am thinking of filling it up with just pellets in a separate, much larger pen and leaving the corn slinger for the pigs.

Thanks up front!

That's Top Score. They hit it pretty good on my place. It's getting expensive though, $11.99 for 40lb. bag. Look feedstores should be about the same for 50lb. bags..
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 01:15 PM

Purina Antlermax 20%
Lyssy & Eckel deer pellet 20%
Gorman / Red chain 17% or 20%

I wouldn't use any protein pellet in a spinner type feeder.
No matter how long you throw or how you set the spinner plate there's no way to put enough out to make any difference.

If I wanted to provide a protein source using a spinner type feeder I'd use a corn roast soybean mix, many feed stores carry it under all sorts of names.
Usually 16% protein.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler
Purina Antlermax 20%
Gorman / Red chain 17% or 20%

I wouldn't use any protein pellet in a spinner type feeder.
No matter how long you throw or how you set the spinner plate there's no way to put enough out to make any difference.

If I wanted to provide a protein source using a spinner type feeder I'd use a corn roast soybean mix, many feed stores carry it under all sorts of names.
Usually 16% protein.

As an attractant more so than supplement, spinning protein can work. I have seen it attract more on my small property in Young county. That said, if the protein gets any kind of saturated on the ground, nothing will touch it...
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 01:30 PM

Best protein for the money is whatever they will eat. I've fed a couple of different brands and at the end of the day the only brand the deer took a liking to was Antlermax.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 02:07 PM

If corn isn't attracting enough deer you have some other issues, natural browse is sufficient, your feeding area set up in an undesirable manner or location, or there are some other undesirable traits about your set up or general area.

I'd try the corn roast soybean mix maybe even some of that scented corn first before wasting $ on protein pellets & risking clogging a spin feeder ruining everything in it.
That and moldy/rotten protein on the ground around a feeder acts as a deterrent / repellent to deer, the mold spores irritate their nasal, bronchial passages, at high enough concentration can cause respiratory illnesses / up to a form of pneumonia.
If you've had protein go moldy on the ground the spores reactivate every time the moisture & temperature are right, even if you cleaned up / removed the moldy protein.

I can take 3lbs of corn in a 5 gallon bucket shake it a half dozen times to make noise, dump it in the middle of the county rock road & within an hour or two have 2 - 5 deer eating it in broad daylight.
I filled my wife's feeder last Friday, I spilled about 2lbs of corn in the bed of the ranger, parked it under a big oak 15' behind the back window with the tail gate down, 8 pm there were 3 deer eating the corn out of the bed. Not a kernel left by morning.
Same county.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 02:29 PM

We have been using the Atwoods 13% allstock pellets...but not in a spin feeder. We have free choice protein feeders next to the corn slingers. Deer hit the pellets year round, often times walking right past the corn on the ground.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 02:37 PM

Why are you using protein? For penned deer it makes sense to feed them protein since it improves antler growth, but you have to remove all other food times for this to be effective. They can only eat the protein and nothing else. Wild deer have too many options out there to eat that there is no amount of protein that you can give them that will have any impact on their antler growth.

If you are going to spend the money on feeding wild deer, find what they want to eat and give them that. What is their favorite candy? Here, corn seems to be the best, but there is a huge difference in where I get the corn. Walmart corn gets ignored, Acadamy corn is cleaned up to the last kernel. Cost is a buck a bag more, but why spend money on cheap corn when the deer ignore it and let it build up until a big rain comes along to wash it away?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 02:44 PM

Purina Antlermax 20%

I've had excellent results with both of these fed free-choice.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by EddieWalker
Why are you using protein? For penned deer it makes sense to feed them protein since it improves antler growth, but you have to remove all other food times for this to be effective. They can only eat the protein and nothing else. Wild deer have too many options out there to eat that there is no amount of protein that you can give them that will have any impact on their antler growth.

If you are going to spend the money on feeding wild deer, find what they want to eat and give them that. What is their favorite candy? Here, corn seems to be the best, but there is a huge difference in where I get the corn. Walmart corn gets ignored, Acadamy corn is cleaned up to the last kernel. Cost is a buck a bag more, but why spend money on cheap corn when the deer ignore it and let it build up until a big rain comes along to wash it away?

I disagree. We feed protein pretty much year round, low fence, and have talked some of the neighbors into doing the same thing. We have seen better bucks since starting that.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 03:45 PM

Double Down. peep
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

I disagree. We feed protein pretty much year round, low fence, and have talked some of the neighbors into doing the same thing. We have seen better bucks since starting that.

It takes a lot of information to say protein had "x" effect on the deer. Much more information than I think your typical hunter has or has the means to collect and analyze. Being that your feeding a 13% protein also makes me a suspect of it. Many native food sources for deer are significantly higher than 13%. So many factors rainfall, population, quality of available browse and habitat, age etc. have so much to do with all of it to make a blanket statement.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 04:49 PM

If you're having trouble getting the deer started on protein, which isn't unusual, try the Golden Deer Nuggets from Record Rack. Not a high protein content, but it's highly palatable and I've never seen anywhere that the deer wouldn't take to it pretty quick. After the deer get on the Nuggets good, switch to whatever regular protein you choose.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 07:23 PM

Purina Antlermax 20%, Lyssy & Eckel deer pellet 20%, and even Mumme's. The only one I ever got that was bad was 18% from Alderman Cave. They sent me a load that was at least half fines. 14 tons worth. When I told them to come get it they sent an open, stake side truck, with no tarp on it, and then weighed what was left after they drove back from 30 miles West of Del Rio to Winters. I have no idea how many tons of protein fines blew out of that truck on the way back. I think I still had to pay for like 7 tons if not a little more.

Oh, this was bulk, not bagged.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

It takes a lot of information to say protein had "x" effect on the deer. Much more information than I think your typical hunter has or has the means to collect and analyze. Being that your feeding a 13% protein also makes me a suspect of it. Many native food sources for deer are significantly higher than 13%. So many factors rainfall, population, quality of available browse and habitat, age etc. have so much to do with all of it to make a blanket statement.

Redchevy, you may be right. But then again, I think it would take a lot of information and study to say "there is no amount of protein that you can give them that will have any impact on their antler growth." I do not know for a fact that the protein feed has made an impact on antler growth. It may very well have been something else. I do know as fact from our trail cameras that, all summer long, the bachelor groups will sit at one of our protein feeders and eat for hours.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 08:00 PM

Upon further research (thanks Texas A&M), it looks like I may be wrong. 13% probably ain't cutting it. I'm gonna have to rethink my protein purchases.
Posted By: David Maas

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 08:23 PM

I have plenty of deer, wanting to supplement their diet. I have several sets of twins coming to the feeder, would like to make that across the board with the entire herd.
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 08:28 PM

"Best protein pellet for the money? "

Native habitat management and controlling deer numbers, most economical in the long run.
Posted By: don k

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Double Down. peep

I am with P.P. If you are going to feed go big.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/20/19 11:35 PM

Wild deer have too many options out there to eat that there is no amount of protein that you can give them that will have any impact on their antler growth.

I've never heard this before. You're saying unless they are on pure protein, some protein is of no help? How can that possibly be?
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/21/19 01:39 PM

Is that the only thing you and your neighbors are doing to improve your deer quality, or could it also be things like improving habitat, more rain, being more selective on not shooting small bucks, and spending more time out in the field and actually seeing more bucks?
Posted By: elkhunter93

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/21/19 06:01 PM

Sorry to rain on all of your alls theories, but Mr. Eddie Walker is absolutley correct @ feeding free range deer. You are wasting your time and your money feeding protein. Serves no purpose, except to line the pockets of feed producers. I have been managing wildlife, high fence and free range for over 40 years and when you have controlled environments vs. Natural, then you will know as well. Protein will not change genetics. Anyone's free range deer will represent the genetic base of their area. Protein will not make a genetically predetermined 120, 130, etc., inch deer into a boone and crockett. Save your money. Feed an attractant like corn. P. S.- protein is not the magic, fat is. No feed manufacturer incorporates enough fat into their feed products. I'm talking 30% or more to do any good. In almost any environment there is already enough protein levels present in the natural occurring food base.
Now flame away.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/21/19 06:48 PM

Don't think anyone was trying to say you could feed genetics.

While it isn't the be all end all, I think it can be beneficial, you just always have to remember it is SUPPLEMENTAL feeding. When its dry as a popcorn fart nothing green it sure comes in in the clutch.

Now again if you had more control over the population maybe it wouldn't be as big a deal then either. On small low fence properties its almost impossible. You feed and your deer come and go and your neighbors deer come and go, I guess there isn't really any you or your neighbors deer lol just deer. You cant control population unless all the surrounding property owners are doing the same etc.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/22/19 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by elkhunter93
Sorry to rain on all of your alls theories, but Mr. Eddie Walker is absolutley correct @ feeding free range deer. You are wasting your time and your money feeding protein. Serves no purpose, except to line the pockets of feed producers. I have been managing wildlife, high fence and free range for over 40 years and when you have controlled environments vs. Natural, then you will know as well. Protein will not change genetics. Anyone's free range deer will represent the genetic base of their area. Protein will not make a genetically predetermined 120, 130, etc., inch deer into a boone and crockett. Save your money. Feed an attractant like corn. P. S.- protein is not the magic, fat is. No feed manufacturer incorporates enough fat into their feed products. I'm talking 30% or more to do any good. In almost any environment there is already enough protein levels present in the natural occurring food base.
Now flame away.

Of course protein does not change genetics. But it does enhance and maximize the genetics that are already present especially in drought years. Natural browse is the main staple for deer. In good rain years it is what has the most impact on horns. Where your theory is wrong is that in drought years the natural browse is not there. That is when protein (SUPPLEMENTAL FEED) pays for itself. It helps provide the replacement for the lack of natural browse. I have also been around high and low fence deer for over 40 years - I have personally witnessed the impact that cottonseed (fat) PLUS protein can have on a herd. Our results are not theory - they are real.
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/22/19 02:35 PM

But, the fact is that the only time you would expect supplemental feeding to make a different at all is if nutrition is limiting to begin with. After all, deer didn't evolve eating protein pellets, lablab, etc.). If things are managed correctly, deer should be able to get everything they need from the native habitat. If nutrition is limiting, you're better off in the long run, from both economical and biological standpoints, to correct the problems (overgrazing, high deer/exotic densities, feral hogs, habitat issues, etc.) rather than makes things worse by artificially carrying too many animals with feeding. These days, people would rather just feed than actually manage their deer herd.

It nutrition isn't limiting, you'd wouldn't even expect to see much use of the feed. How many times have you seen deer stop using feed after adequate rains, or after a prescribed burn, or when acorns fall? But, many folks will proudly state how much feed they go through a month, which is just another way of saying their habitat is in such poor condition (usually through excessive deer/exotic densities, overgrazing, or both) that the deer are forced to eat the feed.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/22/19 02:56 PM

To each his own. Our 9000 acre low fence ranch is highly managed along with feeding cottonseed and protein along with having more than sufficient water available year around. We do not have too many deer due to aggressive culling. Our results tell us it ain’t broke so we are not going to try to fix it.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/22/19 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Trash Fish and Cull Bucks
But, the fact is that the only time you would expect supplemental feeding to make a different at all is if nutrition is limiting to begin with. After all, deer didn't evolve eating protein pellets, lablab, etc.). If things are managed correctly, deer should be able to get everything they need from the native habitat. If nutrition is limiting, you're better off in the long run, from both economical and biological standpoints, to correct the problems (overgrazing, high deer/exotic densities, feral hogs, habitat issues, etc.) rather than makes things worse by artificially carrying too many animals with feeding. These days, people would rather just feed than actually manage their deer herd.

It nutrition isn't limiting, you'd wouldn't even expect to see much use of the feed. How many times have you seen deer stop using feed after adequate rains, or after a prescribed burn, or when acorns fall? But, many folks will proudly state how much feed they go through a month, which is just another way of saying their habitat is in such poor condition (usually through excessive deer/exotic densities, overgrazing, or both) that the deer are forced to eat the feed.

Why do weight lifters and body builders take supplements?

Sure the deer are there and they are fine, but in attempts to maximize their body and antlers, you can provide more for them than mother nature does.
Posted By: elkhunter93

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/23/19 09:16 PM

Anthropomorphic.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/23/19 11:30 PM

I forgot who above said protein is supplementing what nature gives you. But, nature is a fickle beatch. Some years you'll get good moisture during the winter and have a ton of forbs...some of the highest protein natural stuff out there. But those winters are somewhat rare. Spring, with new growth is great for protein in the plants. But as the year goes on towards hunting season most of that good natural stuff's protein levels fall as the fiber content increases. In the last quarter of the year what grows naturally is mostly fiber, not protein.

Another point for supplemental feeding is that most reputable proteins have the correct balance of minerals the deer need for body and antler growth. Not all minerals are distributed equal on all ranches.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/23/19 11:48 PM

Anthropomorphic.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/anthropomorphic

for your 8th post ever on here this was very prolific! NOT

I smell a troll
Posted By: freerange

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/24/19 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by tlk
Anthropomorphic.

I smell a troll

I usually learn so much on this forum--especially improves my vocabulary with big words like anthrowhateveritis. Even with the link to the definition and putting it in context with the thread im still lost. Wasn't this about protein? How much longer till deer season?
Posted By: kyle1974

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/25/19 11:24 PM

protein matters. I've seen some deer at their largest during drought years when the browse was horrible, and they were basically forced into a higher protein feeder diet. several deer we watched over the years turned into absolute feeder hogs, and consequently, had bigger jumps in antler from year to year.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/26/19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by tlk
Anthropomorphic.

I smell a troll

I usually learn so much on this forum--especially improves my vocabulary with big words like anthrowhateveritis. Even with the link to the definition and putting it in context with the thread im still lost. Wasn't this about protein? How much longer till deer season?

Yeah the guy is trolling for sure - he is clueless IMO but he wanted to stir things up - waste of my typing abilities to even respond! Lol
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/26/19 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
To each his own. Our 9000 acre low fence ranch is highly managed along with feeding cottonseed and protein along with having more than sufficient water available year around. We do not have too many deer due to aggressive culling. Our results tell us it ain’t broke so we are not going to try to fix it.

Are you feeding cottonseed year-round? I've heard some say to get the bucks off of it when they lose the velvet due to the gossypol. Our deer did not really take to it when introduced this year but we put it out at the same time as protein. Seems as though it's fine as long as it's not their primary food source. We're going to try it again late/post rut, before we resume protein and see if they acquire a taste for it.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/26/19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by soonersorlaters
Originally Posted by tlk

Are you feeding cottonseed year-round? I've heard some say to get the bucks off of it when they lose the velvet due to the gossypol. Our deer did not really take to it when introduced this year but we put it out at the same time as protein. Seems as though it's fine as long as it's not their primary food source. We're going to try it again late/post rut, before we resume protein and see if they acquire a taste for it.

We have cottonseed out from January to September (it is for post rut weight gain) - the only sterilization from cottonseed with deer come in settings where they are pen raised and eating it full time. We have fed it for 6-7 years now and our deer do great on it. Our live body weights typically go between 225 up to 250 plus

It can take them awhile to get on it but they hammer ours now. We go through 50 tons per year
Posted By: don k

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/26/19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by tlk

We have cottonseed out from January to September (it is for post rut weight gain) - the only sterilization from cottonseed with deer come in settings where they are pen raised and eating it full time. We have fed it for 6-7 years now and our deer do great on it. Our live body weights typically go between 225 up to 250 plus

It can take them awhile to get on it but they hammer ours now. We go through 50 tons per year

100000 pounds of cotton seed. WOW How much protein do you feed in a year? How many trophy type Bucks do you take off the place a year? How many management type average per year?

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/26/19 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by tlk

100000 pounds of cotton seed. WOW How much protein do you feed in a year? How many trophy type Bucks do you take off the place a year? How many management type average per year?

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/26/19 11:21 PM

we spent around 55K last year on protein cottonseed and corn - will have to go back and look at how many lbs of protein but it was a lot - mind you we are on 9000 acres and have 25 plus protein pens - so around one pen per 300 acres

one of our 'secrets" is water - ranch owner ran water pilas all over the ranch so we never go dry even in the worst of droughts (which we have experienced) - I think another thing we do that may be different is that we put the cottonseed inside our feed pens but we also have cottonseed feeders out in the open in the pasture - that way our fawns can get to it and are not penned out - I think it makes a huge difference in fawn survival because they have a food source even during drought plus they have water available at all times
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/27/19 03:51 PM

Last year, we started feeding cottonseed in addition to our protein "program" of ten plus years. We have gotten over our initial fears for sterilization, but do stop the cottonseed about this time of the year. It might sound odd to feed both, but we have found the deer prefer pellets some of the time and then switch over more to the cottonseed at other intervals.

We have seen fortified cottonseed products on the market and find ourselves wondering if anyone has success with using this instead of pellets?

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/27/19 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Last year, we started feeding cottonseed in addition to our protein "program" of ten plus years. We have gotten over our initial fears for sterilization, but do stop the cottonseed about this time of the year. It might sound odd to feed both, but we have found the deer prefer pellets some of the time and then switch over more to the cottonseed at other intervals.

We have seen fortified cottonseed products on the market and find ourselves wondering if anyone has success with using this instead of pellets?

Feeding both makes sense - our deer hit protein hard and then hit the cottonseed hard. Also the cottonseed outside of the pens is available to the fawns - IMO it helps with your fawn survival during drought
Posted By: Branden

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 08/28/19 04:09 PM

Creep Feed
Posted By: flatnasty

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 09/02/19 05:22 PM

double down deer feed. buy the best

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 09/03/19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by tlk

the 100000 pounds of cottonseed is just from mid January to September . 70 tons of protein per year on average ........... 3-4 trophies per year out of 12 hunters and 9000 acres. Management bucks probably 15-20 depending on range conditions. Some culls and does - we have taken anywhere from 10-20 does up to over 100 does again depending on range conditions and fawn survival
Posted By: RiverRunner

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 09/04/19 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by flatnasty
double down deer feed. buy the best

Outside of seeing the bucks that the Double Down guy posts on another site...I am curious if it really is that good? Also, I see some feed protein year round...is it worth it?

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 09/05/19 05:12 PM

We buy at Dilley, but we purchase RHR which is about $3.00 less per bag. Doesn't have vitamin K in it (I Believe) which is to help with digestion. Deer on bigger places or low fenced places don't need hep with digestion. Whatever the reason, we feed the lower priced product and are extremely pleased with it.

Just a note and from an old deer hunting sage with too many trophies to count, pick a feed and stay with it. Deer don't read labels. Don't buy this now and something else the next time. Deer will get used to whatever you make available and you DO NOT want them to get used to something new every time around.

We will shoot deer in excess of 200 pounds dressed this year, but that's primarily because of the beneficial spring rains. Our best horns, for whatever reason, are typically on deer weighing just over and just below 170 pounds dressed weight.
Posted By: sirumaldy

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 04/23/22 12:01 PM

We buy at Dilley, but we purchase RHR which is about $3.00 less per bag. Doesn't have vitamin K in it (I Believe) which is to help with digestion. Deer on bigger places or low fenced places don't need hep with digestion. Whatever the reason, we feed the lower priced product and are extremely pleased with it.

Just a note and from an old deer hunting sage with too many trophies to count, pick a feed and stay with it. Deer don't read labels. Don't buy this now and something else the next time. Deer will get used to whatever you make available and you DO NOT want them to get used to something new every time around.

We will shoot deer in excess of 200 pounds dressed this year, but that's primarily because of the beneficial spring rains. Our best horns, for whatever reason, are typically on deer weighing just over and just below 170 pounds dressed weight.

It might be strange to write in this thread after three years, but why not? I agree with you. And this rule works for all animals. Cats, dogs, deers must eat one type of feed
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 04/23/22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
Now flame away.

Of course protein does not change genetics. But it does enhance and maximize the genetics that are already present especially in drought years. Natural browse is the main staple for deer. In good rain years it is what has the most impact on horns. Where your theory is wrong is that in drought years the natural browse is not there. That is when protein (SUPPLEMENTAL FEED) pays for itself. It helps provide the replacement for the lack of natural browse. I have also been around high and low fence deer for over 40 years - I have personally witnessed the impact that cottonseed (fat) PLUS protein can have on a herd. Our results are not theory - they are real.

This!

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 04/23/22 09:56 PM

wow a three year old thread - it was kind of interesting to read it again

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 04/24/22 01:25 PM

In my region, there are some problems with supplying feed, that's why I'm buying a lot of feed and feeding the deer the same. Unfortunately, supply chain management is bad here. In my opinion, it's easy to fix because of many resources with general and additional info on that point. But I think no one is interested in it.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 04/24/22 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by sirumaldy
In my region, there are some problems with supplying feed, that's why I'm buying a lot of feed and feeding the deer the same. Unfortunately, supply chain management is bad here. In my opinion, it's easy to fix because of many resources with general and additional info[/url] on that point. But I think no one is interested in it.

And to be honest, it's easier than often changing the feed
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 04/24/22 09:32 PM

I totally agree with Elkhunter, corn will have a bigger effect than protein for the cost and end result. Corn gives energy that helps deer to hustle protein. I have been told it takes at least 2 lb.s per day per deer protein. I would go broke fast for little help. I feed corn only. However, if ya got a lot of money to spend...then it doesn't hurt one way or the other.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 04/24/22 09:45 PM

How many deer are you feeding 100000 lb.s of protein to and how many acres are you hunting.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 04/24/22 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by fishbait
I totally agree with Elkhunter, corn will have a bigger effect than protein for the cost and end result. Corn gives energy that helps deer to hustle protein. I have been told it takes at least 2 lb.s per day per deer protein. I would go broke fast for little help. I feed corn only. However, if ya got a lot of money to spend...then it doesn't hurt one way or the other.

A somewhat interesting spin. Outside of penned deer, none will sit there and consume 2 pounds per day.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 04/25/22 12:31 PM

I agree with Hudbone...deer will not normally eat 2 lb.s...when I count deer I actually have measured how much corn deer consume in one setting. This helps to keep deer feeding about the same amount of time at each feeding area across the lease. I measured 1.45 lb.s / deer average over 30 days...that number was derived after two weeks of feeding for precensus each year before collecting data. A few days the numbers were a little higher around 1.5lb.s /deer.
A note: the dominate buck each day, when food is scarce, after eating, will run every deer (bucks & Does) out of the pen saving some corn for later...however, does would come in before bucks but sometimes after the bucks leave..so when the dominate buck leaves the pen empty, the does would come in and feed. The does would usually still leave some corn when they leave.
I asked biologist and feed stores how much of protein to feed....the results were 2 to 4 lb.s/day.

Re: Best protein pellet for the money? - 04/25/22 12:38 PM

not each setting but per day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum