Texas Hunting Forum

Blind window question

Posted By: Gary Willmann

Blind window question - 08/15/19 05:58 PM

Where do you get plexiglass/acrylic for windows in your box blinds, other than Home Depot or Lowes?
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Blind window question - 08/15/19 06:17 PM

amazon
Posted By: Judd

Re: Blind window question - 08/15/19 06:17 PM

Recently ran across maxxedoutdoors.com but he's not making doors

I like them a lot. Dickenson Feed Store also has windows and doors.

Deerview windows/doors are also pretty decent.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Blind window question - 08/15/19 06:26 PM

For what you will spend to build them Deerview is the way to go. You can get their basic hinge and they are awesome and reasonably priced. Best thing I have done especially when taking the kids with me.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Blind window question - 08/15/19 06:53 PM

most Ace hardware stores carry plexiglass.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Blind window question - 08/15/19 07:27 PM

McCoy's, Alamo Lumber and Sutherland's down here carry it.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Blind window question - 08/15/19 07:40 PM

Found some really nice windows at McCoy's in Brownwood. They've gone up in $ but still not bad.

https://www.mccoys.com/shop/deer-blind-window-36-x-115/p.1382130
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Blind window question - 08/15/19 08:04 PM

I go to my glass doctor ...that replaces windows and doors. He cut my windows from 1/4" plexiglass. I screwed in rails that fits the thickness of the windows that I got from the glass doctor. I bought a roll of 3/16" brush seal that stuck to the rails to fit the edge of the plexiglass. Then slid in the window in the rails. For a seal on the bottom..took a rasp to the landing of the window making an angle for water to run off. Ready for string for a handle to raise the windows. This worked real well and has not leaked since installed. Went through hurricane Harry last year. Five big oak trees around my blind fell ...but not my deer stand... mounted to eight foot legs mounted to the bottom of the blind and used 2x2 7 ft. angle iron to support the legs. The legs are 9 foot apart at the bottom. Then attached stairs, with handles, to the blind. The blind is not tied off...has not blown over since I put it up in 2008. Went through many bad storms and a hurricane. This may give ya some ideas.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: Blind window question - 08/15/19 08:06 PM

I would attach a pic but I don't know how....lol. The school kids 10yrs. old can do it ...just too old I guess.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Blind window question - 08/15/19 08:20 PM

I built mine out of the thin 1/8"????? thick lexan I bought at McCoy's. I like smaller slider windows than most do but they work well to conceal my silhouette. I bought the plastic tracks from Sutherlands and not sure exactly what they are called. I found them in the section with the shower and wall panels supplies. They come in 10' pieces that were cheap and built windows in all 3 of blinds, with 5 windows per blind, for about $60 total for all 3 blinds IIRC. If you measure your window size you can buy different size sheets of the lexan acrylic to save waste. They fit tight in the plastic tracks and have been water/bug tight ever since. I clean them with wet soapy water once before the season. I use a velcro handle and latch system on each window.They have been up 7yrs now and even road the hurricane out 2 yrs ago with 100+ mph winds. The bottom edge of the lexan on the west side windows has started to crack, so I just took 2" clear shipping tape and wrapped it around from one side the other.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: Blind window question - 08/15/19 10:01 PM

Deerview is the best way to go and there glass not scratched up plastic also tinted if you wish they’ll make custom sizes at no extra cost pick them up in Mansfield
Posted By: Sidebuster

Re: Blind window question - 08/16/19 01:52 AM

Allied plastic supply 214-350-3990 They will cut whatever size you want at reasonable prices.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Blind window question - 08/16/19 11:00 AM

Use to be a place in downtown FW that had scraps really cheap-Cadillac Plastics.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Blind window question - 08/16/19 06:51 PM

Not sure of Home Depot or Lowes handles window frame parts, but some places do. They go together kind of like storm windows or a set of window screens. Buy the long pieces, cut your angled ends and buy the corner clips to put them together. Being a wood worker, I cut grooves in 1x2's and made frames for the plexiglass. 1/8" I found at the lumberyard and home centers.
Posted By: spg

Re: Blind window question - 08/16/19 11:30 PM

Call deerview and buy what ever they have in stock, save yourself the head ache. All my blinds have them and I can say enough about them, I tried the plexi route prior to deerview and never will waste money on plexi again.
Posted By: Screwdriver

Re: Blind window question - 08/17/19 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by spg
Call deerview and buy what ever they have in stock, save yourself the head ache. All my blinds have them and I can say enough about them, I tried the plexi route prior to deerview and never will waste money on plexi again.

Switched to Deerview this year. I'm done with buying plexiglass.
Posted By: Novice Hunter

Re: Blind window question - 08/17/19 03:19 AM

Harvested the glass from a bunch of old picture frames that we threw out.
Posted By: WendlingKnives

Re: Blind window question - 08/18/19 09:46 AM

Once you use deerview, youll never use plexiglass again. Not much more expensive. Never scratch or get cloudy. No warping. Quiet.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Blind window question - 08/18/19 06:35 PM

Use Lexan or glass. These wont yellow or wrap on you.
Posted By: don k

Re: Blind window question - 08/18/19 10:10 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I got these off EBAY. Cut to size. Least expensive place I found.
Posted By: roadkill54

Re: Blind window question - 08/21/19 09:28 PM

Ultramatic Feeders (Hegar Road/Hy 290) in Houston area. Inexpensive flip up windows......
Posted By: nick_adams

Re: Blind window question - 09/01/19 08:30 PM

Put deerview's in my blind several years ago, and they have been great! Easy to clean, easy to install, quiet to open and close.
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Blind window question - 09/09/19 08:26 PM

My previous blind had plexiglas and I'll never use it again. Probably because my windows were too big. It "worked", but wasn't great. Like roadkill54 above, I recommend Ultramatic Feeders' windows. I just had a 5.5'x6.5' blind built and put in their really nice deluxe hinged windows. This will be the first season I hunt with them, but I'm looking forward to it. Price is similar to Deerview.

Keith
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum