Texas Hunting Forum

Feeders & Feed Pen Setup

Posted By: titan2232

Feeders & Feed Pen Setup - 08/13/19 03:41 PM

I'm about to start from scratch on my feeder setup after the anthrax outbreak. I currently have three feeders going at my spot (1 protein and 2 corn) and only the protein is inside a pen. Hogs have literally taken over the two corn feeders so I will be moving them 100 yards or more and starting fresh with pens.

Options:

1.) Make one large pen 150' diameter for all three feeders?

2.) Separate all feeders with pens?

A few things to consider. I have a large Oak bottom/creek 100 yards behind current feeder spot that the axis travel frequently. Once the whitetail herd rebounds I'm thinking one large feeder pen will create too much competition. Another option is to place one corn feeder on a grassy high spot inside the creek bottom for axis with an additional tree stand for that feeder?

What says THF
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Feeders & Feed Pen Setup - 08/13/19 05:27 PM

part of the answer lies in what you are targeting. If you only want axis and WT deer, then pens. But if you don't mind the hogs staying on one, then that opens the door to more options.

Personally, I would keep one corn feeder (the most robust) where it currently is to keep the hogs around. Move the protein feeder and the other corn feeder to a place a little further away like you mentioned. Since axis are on the place I would separate the protein from the corn feeder. I have no experience with axis but have heard they can take over a feeder just like hogs, but can jump a fence. So maybe make a triangular type set up with the blind in the middle and some tree stands or tripods in various locations around the feeders. As long as you are over 100 yards to the nearest feeder your scent shouldn't be an issue if wind isn't perfect. Plus using treestands in various locations you could better play the wind, but it is nice to have a protected blind on inclement weather days.

I would pen the other two feeder locations, with a nice big round pen, around 50' diameter plus. This way no corn will get out of the fence to attract hogs to that one, and the size will encourage WT and axis to co-mingle in the pen.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeders & Feed Pen Setup - 08/13/19 10:21 PM

I would do three different pens and leave the protein feeder in place. They are used to it being there and no adjustment time. I would move one corn deer closer to the Oak draw for one type of wind. I would move the other corn feeder in a different direction for a different wind...one for north and one for south/dominant wind. Spreading the feeders out will keep the axis from homesteading one of them. IME, if you get 7 axis minimum at one time the whitetail will leave. WT will move back in if it is still feeding time for them. IME with axis and treestands/ladder stands is they seem to be able to pick me out faster than a whitetail could. If you can just cut as small of a hole to shoot to the feeder as you can the better off you will be for the axis. If you do a feed pen in the draw for axis then add an alfalfa feeder in it to help attract them more to that location. The one issue I see with a feeder in the creek bottom with a pen is when you do get a toad floater rain you might loose it all.
I would also look for a solid rock or slab rock to put under your feeder so the deer will not have to eat off the ground. I would turn corn feeders off if it were me to keep them from eating off the ground with the Anthrax. For me I would never have any corn hit outside the feed pen to keep them stinking hogs away. Let them ruin the hunting at someone other blind. grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum