Texas Hunting Forum

No Bucks

Posted By: PoppaG22

No Bucks - 08/07/19 06:54 AM

Maybe I'm too inexperienced still... but we hunt on 200 acres in Jack county... we've hardly had a spike on camera all summer. Seems to be the same group of 8-10 does that hit the feeder but haven't caught any bucks yet. Thought about putting a salt lick in the thick stuff to see if that'd help to just know that there are any on the property... anyone have a similar problem?
Posted By: snake oil

Re: No Bucks - 08/07/19 11:27 AM

I wouldn't worry as long as you have does the bucks will come pre-rut.
Posted By: fishbait

Re: No Bucks - 08/07/19 11:28 AM

How much brush do you have on your 200 acres? Neighbors feeding different than you may also be a problem. Just my 2 cents
Posted By: fouzman

Re: No Bucks - 08/07/19 12:36 PM

Does and bucks will bed in and have different core areas now than in the fall. You'll be fine.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: No Bucks - 08/07/19 12:59 PM

My place is the opposite. I see nearly all bucks. It's been that way since I bought the place in 2015. I'm not a fan of the rut because they all take off to find the does elsewhere. We have yet to harvest any does on our place hoping the numbers will increase but so far it hasn't helped.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: No Bucks - 08/07/19 02:19 PM

You said “we” & “200 acres”. How many of y’all hunt 200 acres, & what have y’all been shooting the last few years? How many neighbors hunt? Could be over hunted sounds to me.

There is likely only 1 mature buck per 400 acres or so.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: No Bucks - 08/07/19 02:44 PM

Not uncommon for this time of the year to see either a lot of bucks only or lot of does only at feeders. Bedding area will be the key and how close your feeder is to that bedding area as to what you see more of. For the last 4 yrs my TC pics in late summer into the fall are dominated by bucks. The does just do not show up on TC pics till later in the fall and into winter, most years. My place is a little bit larger than yours.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: No Bucks - 08/07/19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil
I wouldn't worry as long as you have does the bucks will come pre-rut.

This. Patience. The key is that on 200 hundred acres you likely don't have a core buck, so you'll be shooting transients. You may only see them one time but you'll likely see several different ones.
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: No Bucks - 08/08/19 12:11 AM

We are in northern Jack county. Seeing the same thing as you. It happens every year. Usually around the first week of October the bucks start showing up. By the end of the season we usually have more bucks than does
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum