Texas Hunting Forum

Oklahoma MLD program???

Posted By: freerange

Oklahoma MLD program??? - 07/31/19 05:33 PM

Anyone know if Okla has a program similar to Texas MLD program that would allow for flexibility in their season length? Yeah, I could try to contact them but its easier on here especially when its not a real important question, at least at the moment.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Oklahoma MLD program??? - 07/31/19 05:43 PM

In a nutshell it will give you 10 extra days to harvest does
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Oklahoma MLD program??? - 07/31/19 09:47 PM

DMAP is the system they use in OK. It requires a minimum land area, I believe it is 1000 continuous acres.
It allows you to rifle shoot doe all the way from opening gun season to the end of December, so a couple weeks longer.
However, the doe need to be cataloged at a central location with a log book, with weights, and other demographic info made available to the GW for inspection. The numbers of doe tags given depend on surveys done prior to season by yourself.

A small group of us looked into doing it last season and the group consensus was it wasn't worth the effort to get some extra doe tags and gun hunting, as most of us were already set up for bow hunting anyway. May be worth it to you.

Biggest take away from talking to warden about it was you need to shoot doe as well as buck to keep numbers in line and not skew everything to the female side. I think that is pretty universal among deer management groups.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum