Texas Hunting Forum

Age This guy.....

Posted By: TiggerV

Age This guy..... - 07/22/19 07:03 PM

1st time I have posted one of these pics. He seems young, but for where we hunt it is a Good Rack.

Age him??

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/22/19 07:06 PM

Almost impossible to age bucks this early in the summer. But if I HAD to guess, I'd say 3 yr old
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/22/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
Almost impossible to age bucks this early in the summer. But if I HAD to guess, I'd say 3 yr old

Very straight back, not much of a grass belly for this time of year, neck-chest juncture is pretty distinct. I'm with fouzman.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/22/19 07:38 PM

I have to agree. I thought 3 before I read any of the comments.
Posted By: spg

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/22/19 07:38 PM

Not old enough
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/22/19 09:10 PM

IMO from one photo I see at least 4 and when I first saw the photo, I said 5 yr old. Has a the head silhouette of a mature buck, his brisket line is below his elbow joint on his front shoulders and a lot of neck for this time of the year. From this photo you can see a faint amount of staining on his hocks, appears to have some width in-between his front shoulders in the brisket and seems to have the hump over his shoulders. When his body/muscle mass fills in in Sept it will show him to be older than 3. One photo is difficult to age from and I would not be surprised if he looked even older with more photo angles.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/22/19 09:29 PM

His head was the only thing that made me think older. Everything else says 3 to me, so that's what I called him. I knew you'd come along with 4-5 roflmao cheers

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/23/19 02:46 AM

Same deer I am pretty sure

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/23/19 03:28 AM

Second pic you posted above makes him look much younger than the last one and the first one you posted. Stretched out walking it what is changing his look for me. What county?

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/23/19 04:24 AM

Coke County
Posted By: Breath-Taker Whitetails

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/23/19 04:58 AM

4.5 is my guess
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/23/19 11:43 AM

Looks like a 3 yo.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/23/19 01:12 PM

Picture #1 im in I don't know land could be anything. Picture #2 he looks very young.

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/24/19 12:42 AM

Here is a buck for comparison. Same buck on July 10 and then on October 15 last year to compare body size for summer vs fall. This deer has had protein available year round and is large bodied for this area. I have TC pics of him for at 3 yrs now this year. History helps on aging bucks more this time of the year than in the fall.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tlk

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/24/19 12:48 AM

Moral to the story is that it is very difficult to age bucks from still trail cam pics. That is why we take still pics on our place early and as we near the start of the season we switch to 15 second videos on our cameras. Watching a buck walk and move will give you a much better look on determining age IMO

We had an awesome buck a few years ago that scored in the 190s but his body was tiny - hard to age from a still pic.

We got a video of him at night walking into a protein feeder and all the other bucks immediately scattered as he approached - sure sign of a dominate and mature buck
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/24/19 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
I have to agree. I thought 3 before I read any of the comments.
Posted By: Jeff in TX

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/26/19 05:06 AM

Again summer isn't the best time to age, but his neck, antler size and mass says he's young probably 2.5 to 3.5 year old. Early July his antlers are going to grow a bit more. He won't be a big buck and depending on your county won't be legal if he has to outside the ears. He's young I'm leaning towards 2.5 looking at the whole package.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/26/19 06:37 AM

3 now. 3.5 in Dec...
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Age This guy..... - 07/26/19 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by fouzman

Agree on both counts. That summer neck makes it hard to age.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum