Texas Hunting Forum

Cost of Caliche

Posted By: ELKMTB

Cost of Caliche - 06/28/19 07:18 PM

Anybody know rough cost of a load of caliche or medium gravel? Have a few spots that stay muddy long after everything dries out that need a fix. Other ideas?
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Cost of Caliche - 06/28/19 08:30 PM

If it’s very muddy, try the “smaller” oversized gravel.

I think you’ll find most tandem loads (22-24 tons) is $450ish.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Cost of Caliche - 06/29/19 02:58 AM

the actual material doesn't cost much at all, youre paying for trucking. location? and how far is the pit it's coming from?
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Cost of Caliche - 06/29/19 02:31 PM

Crushed rock will holdd up better under a heavy truck, compared to gravel that'll be a rut again in no time.
Posted By: don k

Re: Cost of Caliche - 06/29/19 04:12 PM

Find out why it holds water longer. Fix that first then put in the gravel.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Cost of Caliche - 06/29/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by don k
Find out why it holds water longer. Fix that first then put in the gravel.

X2. I learned the hard way.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Cost of Caliche - 06/29/19 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by woodduckhunter
the actual material doesn't cost much at all, youre paying for trucking. location? and how far is the pit it's coming from?

What Woodduckhunter says.
Posted By: Frio Town

Re: Cost of Caliche - 06/29/19 11:43 PM

I keep at least one tandem load of road base on hand at all times. We have several liquid feed tubs, a lot of water troughs, and feed troughs that the cattle beat the dirt out in a circle around them. About once a year I use that road base to build the circles back up. I use 1" road base so it's 1" and smaller. Just got a load this week. $220.00. Hauled about 27 miles from the pit.

Re: Cost of Caliche - 07/01/19 01:30 PM

It's just a low lying bottom area. Mile long by half a mile wide. Once it gets wet and someone runs thru it and creates ruts it stays wet.And since it's been wet for the last 8-9 months with all the rain...

The fabric you lay down then put rock over it looks helpful to keep rock from sinking in. I will inquire about local limestone 1". We used caliche at previous lease in the hill country. This is up around wichita falls.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Cost of Caliche - 07/01/19 01:46 PM

You have 1/2 square mile to fill? You will need a parade of dump beds to fill that up.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Cost of Caliche - 07/01/19 02:43 PM

I had 12 yards of 1.50" crushed concrete brought to my house in fall of 2017 for $275

Re: Cost of Caliche - 07/01/19 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
You have 1/2 square mile to fill? You will need a parade of dump beds to fill that up.

LOL- no Just enough to fill in the bad spots where we drive
Posted By: PMK

Re: Cost of Caliche - 07/02/19 05:43 PM

material is cheap, the hauling is the expensive part. I used to go rent/lease a dump trailer for a day, make as many trips to the quarry, then home to dump, as many as possible and still return trailer end of the day and then work the material the next day/weekend. I think the rental was around $150/day and the material was about $40-50/load (about 5 yards) ...
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Cost of Caliche - 07/03/19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
material is cheap, the hauling is the expensive part. I used to go rent/lease a dump trailer for a day, make as many trips to the quarry, then home to dump, as many as possible and still return trailer end of the day and then work the material the next day/weekend. I think the rental was around $150/day and the material was about $40-50/load (about 5 yards) ...

That sounds about right to me, I thought caliche was $10-15 a yard. As everyone has noted, delivery is the $$$. PMK was wise to rent the trailer.

Re: Cost of Caliche - 07/03/19 01:32 PM

I have since bought a dump trailer with 14K pound GVRW that I use for all my hauling and it has paid for itself just hauling road base, gravel, river rock and free mulch for personal needs.

Re: Cost of Caliche - 07/03/19 06:23 PM

good idea- Where can you rent a dump trailer?

Re: Cost of Caliche - 07/03/19 09:25 PM

I rented the one down here around Georgetown from the Big Tex Trailer center ... they have since stopped renting them out. They had some pretty strict rules on the return policy (had to power wash before return or it was an additional charge).

doing a quick Google search in Dallas, looks like D&D Dump Trailer rentals, Trailer Rentals & Sales and Big Tex Trailer World popped up ... there might be others. I would suggest you find one close to you and/or where the material can be procured.

Google search "Dump Trailer Rental Dallas"
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum