Texas Hunting Forum

High Fences Ad Nauseam

Posted By: fouzman

High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/19/19 11:15 PM

Ok, let's say TPWD, based on input from all stakeholders, decides no more high fences may be constructed on acreage less than _______ acres.

Assume everyone with fences previous to the new guidelines will be grandfathered.

What's the number?

-0-?
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/19/19 11:21 PM

I'd say to hell with TPWD and a man can build a fence as high as he damn well pleased on his own property.

Posted By: Stompy

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/19/19 11:30 PM

My ranch is 1045 acres and I have some HF due to neighbors. I don't want to high fence my whole ranch. Good neighbors to the south and east, not so much to the west and north.
I have no opinion on a minimum size, each case is different.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/19/19 11:41 PM

piney woods, rolling plains, hill country? not very realistic to put a number out state wide. I'm not at all a fan of high fences, I deer hunt maybe 4 days a year, but I am totally against high fences as a view towards all hunters. But, I feel that private land owners should be able to construct a fence, wall, barrier, etc of a height that makes them happy, and keeps "their" deer in. I've actually considered and ran the numbers on building a high fence to keep deer out.
Posted By: freerange

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/19/19 11:57 PM

im gonna try to stay away from this one but I wish Fouzman would clarify more specifically what you want before this shoots off in every direction.
Do you want to know what TPWD likely WOULD do?
Do you want to know what we think TPWD SHOULD do?
Also, I know its hypothetical but its unrealistic to think they could keep a property owner from putting up a fence.
The more realistic possibility would be to outlaw hunting within a certain size enclosure.
Notice im not taking a stand on this but just trying to streamline the question a little.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/19/19 11:59 PM

So no more high fencing your gardens to keep the deer & other destructive opportunist out of them.

Seems sooner or later land owner rights are going to be diminished to the point where nobody will want to.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/20/19 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by freerange
im gonna try to stay away from this one but I wish Fouzman would clarify more specifically what you want before this shoots off in every direction.
Do you want to know what TPWD likely WOULD do?
Do you want to know what we think TPWD SHOULD do?
Also, I know its hypothetical but its unrealistic to think they could keep a property owner from putting up a fence.
The more realistic possibility would be to outlaw hunting within a certain size enclosure.
Notice im not taking a stand on this but just trying to streamline the question a little.

Nor am I. After reading all of the comments on the Hornography thread, I simply wanted to know if there would be an acceptable sized high-fenced ranch. Or is it -0-?

Nothing more or less. Tried to phrase the question so it wouldn't stir the masses. Impossible, I know.

My question was sincere.

p.s. - TPWD isn't going to make folks tear down existing fences.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/20/19 01:57 AM

Can we add a twist? If the deer are the property of the state and you elect to erect a high fence:

A) The state does a survey of deer populations within the confinements of the fence and the owner has to reimburse the state for the deer that are no longer considered "free range" / property of Texas.

B) The state removes "their" deer at the owners expense and the owner can then purchase the deer of their choice from a certified breeder.

Either election would mean that the state of Texas no longer has any say on harvest restrictions of said property, specific to WTD.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/20/19 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by regularguy11B
I'd say to hell with TPWD and a man can build a fence as high as he damn well pleased on his own property.

I absolutely concur. Period. End of story.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/20/19 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by soonersorlaters
Can we add a twist? If the deer are the property of the state and you elect to erect a high fence:

A) The state does a survey of deer populations within the confinements of the fence and the owner has to reimburse the state for the deer that are no longer considered "free range" / property of Texas.

B) The state removes "their" deer at the owners expense and the owner can then purchase the deer of their choice from a certified breeder.

Either election would mean that the state of Texas no longer has any say on harvest restrictions of said property, specific to WTD.

I actually like this idea. Personally, I abhor High fences. At the same time, I don't think the Government should be able to tell a landowner what type of fence he can build or not build. This way, the landowner can build or not build as he see's fit, as long as he wants to pay for it.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/20/19 05:52 PM

517 acres
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/20/19 08:47 PM

I would build it 1/2" lower than the law stated, then their BS would not apply.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/20/19 09:12 PM

That ship has sailed here in Texas.
Posted By: don k

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/20/19 10:23 PM

It will never happen. And way after i am ashes if it does I feel sorry for all those that died protecting us from this kind of government then their deaths were for nothing.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/20/19 10:27 PM

Come on deer season. I'm ready for the first freeze. up
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 12:58 PM

Sad that there are those out there that feel that they have some sort of right to tell others what they can and cannot do on their land.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 01:06 PM

Yup...end of discussion....
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ErnestTBass

I absolutely concur. Period. End of story.

Originally Posted by EddieWalker
Sad that there are those out there that feel that they have some sort of right to tell others what they can and cannot do on their land.

A law like this would start a civil war in our state IMO. This is why I believe nothing is going to change the status quo. So why do we fight amongst ourselves about an issue that divides us that is here to stay? What good comes from it?
For those that wish this practice to become illegal, have you really considered the ramifications of trying to tear down fences on private property? There would be blood, and lots of it......and for what? To kill deer the way you want them killed?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 02:37 PM

Bag limits, seasons, no night hunting for deer, etc., etc., etc.

Breathless hyperbole aside, there are lots of restrictions on what you can do on your land just related to hunting. There are HF bans in many states out west and down south that are not exactly anti-property rights states. They just realize that the neighbors and others who pay for statewide game management through their tax and license $$$ have rights too.

None of that even counts property taxes, zoning in many cases, and all kinds of other restrictions non-hunting related related to property.

But it’s too late for Texas to change it. Too much land under HF at this point.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Yup...end of discussion....

Originally Posted by don k
It will never happen. And way after i am ashes if it does I feel sorry for all those that died protecting us from this kind of government then their deaths were for nothing.

+1

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Bag limits, seasons, no night hunting for deer, etc., etc., etc.

Breathless hyperbole aside, there are lots of restrictions on what you can do on your land just related to hunting. There are HF bans in many states out west and down south that are not exactly anti-property rights states. They just realize that the neighbors and others who pay for statewide game management through their tax and license $$$ have rights too.

None of that even counts property taxes, zoning in many cases, and all kinds of other restrictions non-hunting related related to property.

But it’s too late for Texas to change it. Too much land under HF at this point.

This thread is about Texas, not other states. texas

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 04:20 PM

Im not sure what the OP wanted to get out of this thread but I don't think it was to rehash what I assume has been on many threads before. He started the thread with "So, lets say" so hes talking about a hypothetical question. Neither I nor the OP nor most of yall think this will happen. Because of that its been said that its not worth discussing and will further divide us and that may very well be true.
Im assuming the OP wanted to know our opinions on what would/should be considered fairchase or ethical hunting when hunting within an enclosure. If theres ever a survey that goes out to the public with a question of this nature then im sure the antis will fill it out and the non hunters may fill it out as well. Will you throw your survey away? Will you scribble in the margin "Hail Texas, F U and Remember the Alamo"? Or will you take a stab at a number of acres that seems ethical TO YOU? I am not sure the short answer not the long one for this situation but IMO we do not need to stick our head in the sand if we care about the future of hunting. I do not think HF will go away in Texas but I do know there are a lot of responsible Texans that love our hunting heritage and they are working hard to figure out a way to control what many would perceive as unethical "hunting" practices. I am NOT saying HF hunting is unethical at all but rather canned hunts or hunting tame deer is, IMO.
For what its worth im not strongly for or against HF but I do love Texas and property rights and Freedom and hunting.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 04:24 PM

IMO - canned hunting is an abomination. Most HF is not canned hunting. I still do not like HF. I won't HF my place. I could imagine it if I had terrible white trash neighbors lining my fence line with feeders and shooting everything that moved up and down my fence line, but in general I have no desire for a HF. All that said, I don't want the government sticking its nose in regarding what kind of fence I can build.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 04:50 PM

To declare a size restriction on HF’ing is the same as declaring a hunting size on ANY rural unannexed property(which includes squirrels, skunks, raccoons, rats, possums etc). Laws should be made in reference to safety and sustainability. Not open ended theoretical mental gymnastics

If we want fair use of the people’s trust deer then we need todo away with license tags and go solely to biologist mandated landowner/property tag allotment. If you want more tags buy them from a neighbor, or increase carrying capacity.

Term Ethical, Is a worm hole with no bottom. The ethics discussion is an anti tool used to eliminate hunting all together. It started with Anti’s using hunters words for hound hunting and baiting. It has now moved through predator hunting/control legislation and trickle down to deer etc. It’s a trickle down effect. So while we all beat our fists and chastise each other from not hunting our way or projecting at others for potentially cheaping up our wall and gripe and grin egos, our hunting rights shrink.

Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 06:07 PM

100,000 acre minimum

HF is BS
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 06:17 PM

New thread, same ol HF haters

NP, bless your heart but you sound like a broke record. For years now. I hope you realize how little anyone else cares about your opinion. Keep explaining away, nobody cares.

[insert old man yelling at clouds meme]
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 07:34 PM

Lot of back roads in Texas that when I'm driving at night I am glad they are majority high fenced, at least near the highway, that keeps the deer off of the highway. Ask anyone who has hit an elk on 90, west of Sanderson, if they wish the Longfellow ranch would be high fenced.

I also wonder how many on here would turn down a free hunt on a HF ranch that needed to cull 150-180 (or whatever number) size bucks.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
New thread, same ol HF haters

NP, bless your heart but you sound like a broke record. For years now. I hope you realize how little anyone else cares about your opinion. Keep explaining away, nobody cares.

[insert old man yelling at clouds meme]

I try real hard to never offend anyone on here so I will sometimes straddle the fence on a hot topic. I also hesitate to side with Nogalus on anything cause he tends to get bashed all too often and im way too thin skinned to wanna get lumped in with him. However, with due respect to Maximus I think to say that no one cares about Nogalus opinion is way way off base. First of all rather you agree with him or not he always explains himself with logic and detail and articulates it well, IMO. Also, his main opinion that seems so easy for some to jump on is that he is against HF, PERIOD. I haven't paid attention to this forum till recently but from what I can tell MOST of the forum members are against HF in some form but maybe not to the degree he does. So why wouldn't they want to hear his comments? It seems there are a FEW that type very loudly and very often while a LOT just type a quick sentence and go away. I listen to the loud typers as well as the soft typers because everyone's voice is important. Once again, I am not saying im for or against HF(too many variables) but I want to hear all sides of the debate as long as it can remain constructive and not a witch hunt/pissing match.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 08:28 PM

After long and careful thought I have come to realize that the only folks that hate a HF are the ones that don't have one and wish they did.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by deerfeeder
Lot of back roads in Texas that when I'm driving at night I am glad they are majority high fenced, at least near the highway, that keeps the deer off of the highway. Ask anyone who has hit an elk on 90, west of Sanderson, if they wish the Longfellow ranch would be high fenced.

I also wonder how many on here would turn down a free hunt on a HF ranch that needed to cull 150-180 (or whatever number) size bucks.

up
Posted By: Stompy

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 08:41 PM

I have no problem with HF ranches, I think they serve a purpose. There are folks out the with busy careers and don't have the time for a lease, but still want a chance at a decent buck. Or just no friends to hunt with. I don't hunt HF's and probably never will, but I have no problem with them. I do however have a problem with hunting deer in small 100-200 acre HF traps.
All that being said, about half my ranch is under HF.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 09:22 PM

There’s 3 types of HF haters

1). Those that are jealous.

2). Those that hunt small acreage & depend on the deer that stay on their neighbors place (98% of the time) to cross the low fence onto their piddlin place. Most of these pricks are fenceline hunters.

3). Crusty old curmudgeons who recall the glory days of their youth, when they could hunt a lot of property, before all these Dallas people showed up wantin to hunt. Hey you kids get off my lawn!

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/21/19 10:41 PM

Probably the bulk of the readers on here don't remember but the HF was started by ranchers to raise exotics. At that time there was a heck of a lot money made on exotics than on WT. I think it is coming back to that again. Then the freaky antlered WT boom started. Those that got in early made money. After a while that went away and along came CWD. That really threw everything upside down. I personally make at least 10 times the money off Ibex than I ever could off WT. I can sell Ibex females at 2 years old for over $2000. 4 year old males for $7500. And it doesn't take an arm and a leg to feed them. I think there are very few in the WT business are getting rich right now. You would be surprised how many are wanting to get out of it and are looking for an alternative to utilize the facilities they have in place. Blaming HF for your lack of hunting skills is playing on deaf ears. Go cry to your mother of wife. Maybe they will feel sorry for you.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/22/19 01:04 AM

2). Those that hunt small acreage & depend on the deer that stay on their neighbors place (98% of the time) to cross the low fence onto their piddlin place. Most of these pricks are fenceline hunters.

3). Crusty old curmudgeons who recall the glory days of their youth, when they could hunt a lot of property, before all these Dallas people showed up wantin to hunt. Hey you kids get off my lawn!

I think your 3 reasons are reasonably accurate but IMO you are leaving out at least one more type of HF haters and its the only one with merit. The one that sees HFs as a way to not give the deer a reasonable chance of escape. Fairchase, ethics, etc. This same type of HF hater really gets bothered if the enclosure is extremely small and/or the deer or not wild, ie the canned put and take situations. This is the category I fall into. I know these type operations are very rare compared to the whole and I know many HF ranches that are large and are run great and for all the right reasons. I have no issue with that. I have hunted one like that and I would again if it was big enough and the situation was right. I am NOT telling anyone what they can or cannot do but I am just saying that I do not think it helps the future of hunting when deer are hunted in a very small(cant say how big that is) enclosure or when the deer have been handled by humans and been around humans to the point that they are no longer WILD.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/22/19 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by fouzman
Ok, let's say TPWD, based on input from all stakeholders, decides no more high fences may be constructed on acreage less than _______ acres.

Assume everyone with fences previous to the new guidelines will be grandfathered.

What's the number?

-0-?

Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/22/19 12:04 PM

And it seems like there is only one type of high fence "hunter". Lives in a subdivision, has huge ego, has spent as much time in the woods as my 12 yo nephew.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/22/19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by soonersorlaters

Did the state reimburse me for feeding their deer? Did the state reimburse me for supplying water to their deer? Does the state pay damages for accidents involving their deer? Don't tell me you own something and then do nothing to support it or the accept the responsibilities of owner ship.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/22/19 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by SmallTownHunter

And it seems like there is only one type of high fence "hunter". Lives in a subdivision, has huge ego, has spent as much time in the woods as my 12 yo nephew.

I hunted 10,000 acres that is high fence for four years. I've been hunting for 47 years. I try to stay humble...and try not to make insanely broad generalizations that show how ignorant I am.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/22/19 05:10 PM

We all have our opinions..... When it comes to ego, you insulting or labeling other hunters that legally hunt in a way you don't agree with is your ego out of control........ And now you might of had a friendship with another hunter that you won't now and for what? Feel better now?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/22/19 05:13 PM

Is this the cul-de-sac guy? Somebody on here really hates cul-de-sacs. cool2

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/22/19 10:24 PM

That shows exactly how much you know.

Let the hate flow.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 12:13 AM

for all of the "the state can't tell me what I can and can't build around my own private property", the state already regulates you more than you realize. why is it that they can tell you when you can shoot deer, with what kind of weapon, what sex they can be, and of those with antlers specifications on them? step back, put your own personal interest and thoughts on the HF debate aside and think about it....keep in mind, this is your own private property that you paid for and pay taxes on. there are also licensing fees for you to pay in order to have a booklet full of restrictions to follow on your own property.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by woodduckhunter
for all of the "the state can't tell me what I can and can't build around my own private property", the state already regulates you more than you realize. why is it that they can tell you when you can shoot deer, with what kind of weapon, what sex they can be, and of those with antlers specifications on them? step back, put your own personal interest and thoughts on the HF debate aside and think about it....keep in mind, this is your own private property that you paid for and pay taxes on. there are also licensing fees for you to pay in order to have a booklet full of restrictions to follow on your own property.

Do you honestly think that property owners don’t know this?

Are you tryin to talk me into accepting MORE regulations on my own property?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 11:48 AM

And hopefully the majority of people do actually realize that the entire state of Texas private land is not geared toward raising Whitetail Deer for their hunting pleasure. Or after reading a lot of post maybe they don't know this.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 01:10 PM

And hopefully the majority of people do actually realize that the entire state of Texas private land is not geared toward raising Whitetail Deer for their hunting pleasure. Or after reading a lot of post maybe they don't know this.

No, but a helluva lot of it is - more HF than anywhere on earth outside South Africa.

[Linked Image]

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 01:51 PM

Texas is also one of the largest states and the first to start the practice so it should be expected they have more acres than any other state just common sense really nothing new.

I find this thread interesting when I compare it to today's politics.........throw out a hot topic that divides two sides and stir the pot........each side tries to win the argument at any cost.......and the end result is nothing changes except people who might of come together one day will not......

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by woodduckhunter

You mean licensing tax.....

So you want more regulations that will trickle down to all property rights including home ownership. You restrict pasture fence height, then you restrict materials, you then restrict residential heights, materials etc. You restrict acreage for HF, then you just defined LF rural acreage required to hunt, and that includes small game.

Today’s Hunting Regulations are a bye product of Wildlife recovery which where put into place to increase and recover numbers for sustainability. We are well past whitetail recovery, Infact many HF are in place to keep deer out more so then in.

Most of our laws are out dated, but in all forms they go back to one thing, sustainability. Reason why the 5 month plus MLD program is growing so exponentially, it’s common sense hunting built around and highly successful sustainability program that benefits all flora on the landscape/property, Something that the Article fails to mention...

Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 02:18 PM

Access to water has been my concern for me. I have always wondered what other game animals are affected besides deer when water sources are fenced with a high fence and no longer available to free range animals. I bring this up because I know of a specific fence erected along one side of a 16,000 acre ranch to purposely cut water sources off to a "Bad" neighbor's deer herd.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by HornSlayer
Access to water has been my concern for me. I have always wondered what other game animals are affected besides deer when water sources are fenced with a high fence and no longer available to free range animals. I bring this up because I know of a specific fence erected along one side of a 16,000 acre ranch to purposely cut water sources off to a "Bad" neighbor's deer herd.

Never thought about how high fences cut off water from free range animals. It is something to think about, especially in west Texas.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 02:34 PM

I don’t think I have ever been on a ranch of any size that didnt have a sustain water system(outside of extreme drought) in place including far west Texas. Cattle is still king in Texas. Not saying there isn’t just not the norm.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I don’t think I have ever been on a ranch of any size that didnt have a sustain water system(outside of extreme drought) in place including far west Texas. Cattle is still king in Texas. Not saying there isn’t just not the norm.

X2
I would never consider owning land in west Texas that I couldn't provide water for livestock or wildlife.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 03:12 PM

No, but a helluva lot of it is - more HF than anywhere on earth outside South Africa.

[Linked Image]

And why do you think South Africa has so much? Maybe it is the same reason Texas does.
Posted By: Erny

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 04:01 PM

At least three TPWD WMAs are high fenced. I seriously doubt that they will be taking down the fences any time soon on the State owned land.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 04:13 PM

That's when you pony up and do what most of us do, you provide a water source. I have three on my place all well fed.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/23/19 06:41 PM

[Linked Image]

And why do you think South Africa has so much? Maybe it is the same reason Texas does.

No, it isn’t. Not that I’m a big fan of SA game farm hunts that call themselves ‘safaris’ either.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/24/19 01:54 PM

I'm in the FU camp, I do what I want with my own land, but for argument sake...

1000 acres min.....ecologically speaking, less than that it doesn't make much sense

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/24/19 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by SingleShot85

1000 acres min.....ecologically speaking, less than that it doesn't make much sense

So even though I have less than 1000 acres and need a HF to raise Ibex it doesn't make much sense. Interesting.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/24/19 09:08 PM

So even though I have less than 1000 acres and need a HF to raise Ibex it doesn't make much sense. Interesting.

no.... your situation makes perfect since... your place, as I have read, is the definition of an enclosure to raise your baby goats up. my answer was more intended to be what I believed was the minimum to not be considered an enclosure and one that would need the least attention ecologically. but as I mentioned, "your land you rules".

I have 2300 acres a little over half is HF and the other is low by design... I have control over the ranch that we border / the low fence so its all good. the day I loose the lease on that land we erect the other half of the high fence. I dont want things getting in the high fence more than I want stuff leaving.. Most people HF haters can't or don't want to comprehend that fact. They just see what that cant get to and hate.... cheers

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 01:51 PM

Just an observation, neither for nor against: I've noticed a couple of big pickups in my neighborhood. They both have a big white ranch name on the rear window, and of course a big buck sticker. They drive right on your butt, if they're behind you, and generally do the whole "penis through the pedal" routine I call it. I googled the "ranch". 160 acres...high fence. This is where some of the animosity comes from.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 04:52 PM

Let the hate flow.

Replying to yourself?

Majority of those who disagree with HF have nothing to do with the 3 reasons you posted. Generally the complaint is about fair-chase, and the deer having a chance to escape.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by DocHorton

Let the hate flow.

Replying to yourself?

Majority of those who disagree with HF have nothing to do with the 3 reasons you posted. Generally the complaint is about fair-chase, and the deer having a chance to escape.

Escape? Yes most hunters drive around on a 4 wheeler chasing them until you run them to the neighbors, oh wait it’s got a fence. They run to a fence and stop and put their hands up and yell don’t shoot.

Escape what? Most hunting scenario/set ups equal less then a half to an acreage of total hunting area. So you are saying a 1000acre HF proper confines the deer from escaping your 1 acre feeder set up. Gotcha

If escape you mean a fence around a 1 acre pen then yes you are correct.

Fair chase with a truck, custom rifle, corn, no native food plots, optics etc... lol.

Fair chase is an idiotic methodology that literally defies the use of any modern tool or tool use. Nothing fair chase about efficiencies

Fair chase is the new “trophy hunting” anti rhetoric .... it’s a noose for hunters

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 05:52 PM

Let the hate flow.

Replying to yourself?

Escape? Yes most hunters drive around on a 4 wheeler chasing them until you run them to the neighbors, oh wait it’s got a fence. They run to a fence and stop and put their hands up and yell don’t shoot.

Escape what? Most hunting scenario/set ups equal less then a half to an acreage of total hunting area. So you are saying a 1000acre HF proper confines the deer from escaping your 1 acre feeder set up. Gotcha

Fair chase with a truck, custom rifle, corn, no native food plots, optics etc... lol.

Fair chase is an idiotic methodology that literally defies the use of any modern tool or tool use. Nothing fair chase about efficiencies

Fair chase is the new “trophy hunting” anti rhetoric .... it’s a noose for hunters

Boom....

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 06:02 PM

Replying to yourself?

You know what escape means, you're not stupid. And you know the definition of fair chase. Means and methods and habitat improvement have nothing to do with confining an animal....you should know that as well.

Your explanation is the biggest reason people don't like HF. It's because they just won't admit it restricts deer movement, prevents them from escaping, and inhibits fair chase. They act like it's the same when it's clearly not to anyone with half a brain.

HF hunters biggest enemy with other hunters is themselves.

I don't care if people do it. It's just not how I prefer to hunt and it has nothing to do with the 3 reasons maximus posted....like the majority of people.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 06:21 PM

Replying to yourself?

Boom....

Boom what? His entire post was non-sensical and silly.

Chasing deer on 4 wheelers, hands up don't shoot, hunting areas are 1/2 to 1 acre in size, and 1 acre pens? And you "Boom" it?? Lolololol.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 06:24 PM

Lol. smile

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 06:24 PM

Replying to yourself?

You know what escape means, you're not stupid. And you know the definition of fair chase. Means and methods and habitat improvement have nothing to do with confining an animal....you should know that as well.

Your explanation is the biggest reason people don't like HF. It's because they just won't admit it restricts deer movement, prevents them from escaping, and inhibits fair chase. They act like it's the same when it's clearly not to anyone with half a brain.

I don't care if people do it. It's just not how I prefer to hunt and it has nothing to do with the 3 reasons maximus posted....like the majority of people.

You’re part of the problem Doc.... you throw out insults to others that disagree with your opinion of fair chase.....

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 06:32 PM

Replying to yourself?

Boom....

Chasing deer on 4 wheelers, hands up don't shoot, hunting areas are 1/2 to 1 acre in size, and 1 acre pens? And you "Boom" it?? Lolololol.

Ya because you missed the entire point. Tell me what escape means????

I never said it didn’t deter dispersal that’s the management point of it. Deterring dispersal is not preventing escape

If you can truly hunt fence line to fence line LF or HF you need to pick a safer spot to hunt.

Again tell me how a HF prevents a deer from escaping you....

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

You’re part of the problem Doc.... you throw out insults to others that disagree with your opinion of fair chase.....

Where was the insult in my post?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 06:42 PM

Replying to yourself?

it’s point less, They are only here to insult and boost not to share, same methodology as always.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 06:47 PM

Boom....

I never said it didn’t deter dispersal that’s the management point of it. Deterring dispersal is not preventing escape

If you can truly hunt fence line to fence line LF or HF you need to pick a safer spot to hunt.

Escape means what it means.....here's the definition for you:

Definition: es·cape

verb: escape; 3rd person present: escapes; past tense: escaped; past participle: escaped; gerund or present participle: escaping

1. break free from confinement or control.

So to answer your question...a HF prevents a deer from escaping confinement and control. That's how it prevents it. This is really elementary stuff guys....

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 06:49 PM

Replying to yourself?

Boom....

How many acres you hunt at a time?
How do you hunt? Blind, tree, feeder, road/power line, draw?
Does animal stop and sit down at a fence if it’s being chased?

It’s Only silly because you refuse to accept a higher level view.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 06:55 PM

it’s point less, They are only here to insult and boost not to share, same methodology as always.

And the HF proponents do the same thing....look at Maximus post. I don't see PP saying anything to him about his "insults" or anyone else in this thread. HF hunters are like democrats....they want everyone to be allowed to have their own opinion (or hunting style), except when you disagree with theirs.

I already said I don't care if you want to hunt that way. No sweat off my back. Go buy a deer and put it in your backyard and kill it if you want to. But posts like Bobo's are exactly why people don't like it. LIke I said, HF hunters are their own worst enemy amongst other hunters because of the perception they create for themselves.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:00 PM

Boom....

verb: escape; 3rd person present: escapes; past tense: escaped; past participle: escaped; gerund or present participle: escaping

So to answer your question...a HF prevents a deer from escaping confinement and control. That's how it prevents it. This is really elementary stuff guys....

So you think regardless a deer is more confined then a person actively hunting? You must hunt differently then anyone in Texas or any where for that matter.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:01 PM

The insult was the TRUTH.....It hurts them to hear it.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:11 PM

And the HF proponents do the same thing....look at Maximus post. I don't see PP saying anything to him about his "insults" or anyone else in this thread. HF hunters are like democrats....they want everyone to be allowed to have their own opinion (or hunting style), except when you disagree with theirs.

I already said I don't care if you want to hunt that way. No sweat off my back. Go buy a deer and put it in your backyard and kill it if you want to. But posts like Bobo's are exactly why people don't like it. LIke I said, HF hunters are their own worst enemy amongst other hunters because of the perception they create for themselves.

Yelp HF guys go around blasting others hunts so bad they dont post here any more!!!!
Yelp HF guys do nothing but make comments about others deer/hunts being $$$$, penned, livestock etc

Post like mine are merely asking you to be honest about how and what can you truly hunt at one time... it’s pretty simple. In reference to escape, A hunter actively hunting is more confined then a deer, if a deer is more confined then the hunter then it’s a pen, big difference between a HF ranch and a Pen

I’m atleast honest with myself and understand parallels that make my hunts no better or more of an accomplishment then others. It’s equal in its own right, because it’s experience

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 5Redman8

The insult was the TRUTH.....It hurts them to hear it.

I don’t even hunt HF, but it’s sicking watching guys that have been banned for slamming others hunts carry on like they are the gold standard model for hunters. I guess they wear their ban like a red badge of courage..

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:24 PM

Doc,

Your not stupid, arrogant yes but not stupid. At least own the fact that your veiled insults of having half a brain if I disagree with you, I could have some respect for you.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:25 PM

Sitting in a box some on elevated stands in a comfy chair with a steady rifle rest, watching a timed corn feeder or planted food plot used to draw deer in, using trail cameras to pattern & select targets to put on your 'hit' list, quality optics both binoculars & scoped rifles.

And the height of the fence determines 'fair chase' or not... or somehow changes the definition of 'hunting / hunter'.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:30 PM

Doc,

Your not stupid, arrogant yes but not stupid. At least own the fact that your veiled insults of having half a brain if I disagree with you, I could have some respect for you.

I'll take that.

I apologize if that post insulted you. I should have known there are people on THF who are incapable of realizing a HF restricts deer movement, prevents them from escaping, and inhibits fair chase.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:32 PM

Doc,

I'll take that.

I should have realized there are hunters on THF with half a brain. I apologize if that post insulted you.

So funny and clever.....is this good for your business?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:33 PM

So you think regardless a deer is more confined then a person actively hunting? You must hunt differently then anyone in Texas or any where for that matter.

You didn't like the definition of escape did you? Lol. So now we are changing it to a person actively hunting? Geez....it's like hitting a constantly moving target.

HF confinement has nothing to do with how far someone can see while hunting or how much land they can cover. If that were the case no one would build them, Bobo. It has to do with artificially restricting movement of wildlife and usually management. You also already know that. It's the entire reason for existence of HF hunting operations...control and confinement.

Just admit it confines the deer and prevents them from escaping. You'll save us about 3 pages on this thread. grin

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:36 PM

Doc,

I'll take that.

I should have realized there are hunters on THF with half a brain. I apologize if that post insulted you.

So funny and clever.....is this good for your business?

You tell me, Lol.

I may be gaining customers from my posts.... grin

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:39 PM

What's nonsensical is your perception of control..... confinement yes but it applies to YOU, the deer not so much

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:42 PM

No Doc you're wrong and you show that intelligence is not guaranteed when booking an appointment with a dentist.

Example: There are numerous high fenced WMAs managed and controlled by TPW. The purpose of the fence is to keep other deer out, not in........do your homework before you flap your gums...

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:46 PM

You didn't like the definition of escape did you? Lol. So now we are changing it to a person actively hunting? Geez....it's like hitting a constantly moving target.

HF confinement has nothing to do with how far someone can see while hunting or how much land they can cover. If that were the case no one would build them, Bobo. It has to do with artificially restricting movement of wildlife and usually management. You also already know that. It's the entire reason for existence of HF hunting operations...control and confinement.

Just admit it confines the deer and prevents them from escaping. You'll save us about 3 pages on this thread. grin

What? If I’m hunting you and you aren’t viewable or in the area you have escaped me. Period you are the only one I know that can hunt an entire ranch at one time

Like I said earlier if the hunter is more confined then the deer it’s hunting, if the deer is more confined then the hunter it’s a pen. And if you are actively hunting fence line to fence line I’d seriously question safety, but to each their own

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 07:51 PM

1 acre or 10,000 acres.....a pen is a pen.

It is kind of like the guy who asked a woman if she'd sleep with him for a million dollars....she says yes. Then he asks if she would for $100....she says no what kind of woman do you thin I am. He replied....we've already established what kind of woman you are....now we are just negotiating the price.

Same with HF......would you shoot pets(I mean deer) in 10,000 acre pen....reply...SURE. Would you shoot a pet in a 1 acre pen....NO....what kind of hunter do you think I am!?!?! Well....we have already established you are not hunting....now we just need to find a pen size to mean your warped sense of "hunting".

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 08:01 PM

It is kind of like the guy who asked a woman if she'd sleep with him for a million dollars....she says yes. Then he asks if she would for $100....she says no what kind of woman do you thin I am. He replied....we've already established what kind of woman you are....now we are just negotiating the price.

Same with HF......would you shoot pets(I mean deer) in 10,000 acre pen....reply...SURE. Would you shoot a pet in a 1 acre pen....NO....what kind of hunter do you think I am!?!?! Well....we have already established you are not hunting....now we just need to find a pen size to mean your warped sense of "hunting".

Feel better now? You have alienated yourself from many people like me and I don't hunt HF. You know where I hunt....and for what? You think your post is going to change anything?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 08:05 PM

Well same size deer cost more on LF so who is worse the guy that paid more just to get his name in a book or the one that doesn’t care about the recorded book prize? Of course via your example.

I hate to see what you think about guys with high end leases and big houses

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 08:16 PM

No Doc you're wrong and you show that intelligence is not guaranteed when booking an appointment with a dentist.

Example: There are numerous high fenced WMAs managed and controlled by TPW. The purpose of the fence is to keep other deer out, not in........do your homework before you flap your gums...

I like the gums pun.

So let me get this straight...the HF on those WMA's only keep deer out, they don't keep deer in?? That's a new one, I guess it's a one way HF? (sarcasm)

Once again...confinement and control.

Thanks for the insult on my intelligence. clap

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 08:19 PM

I like the gums pun.

Might as well have some fun....lol
grin

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 08:23 PM

HF hunters are like democrats....they want everyone to be allowed to have their own opinion (or hunting style), except when you disagree with theirs.

Sir, I must remonstrate.

We can disagree, but I won’t be called a Democrat.

If anyone here is acting like a Democrat, it is you. Your the one wanting to tell other people what they can do.

I don’t give a shat what your ignorant opinion is on the HF matter. I hope that all the HF hunters who enjoy their hunting truly piss you off.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 08:53 PM

I like the gums pun.

Might as well have some fun....lol
grin

Truth be told I'm too dumb, too poor, and too ugly to hunt HF so I just make fun of those who do. roflmao

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 09:01 PM

HF hunters are like democrats....they want everyone to be allowed to have their own opinion (or hunting style), except when you disagree with theirs.

Sir, I must remonstrate.

We can disagree, but I won’t be called a Democrat.

If anyone here is acting like a Democrat, it is you. Your the one wanting to tell other people what they can do.

I don’t give a shat what your ignorant opinion is on the HF matter. I hope that all the HF hunters who enjoy their hunting truly piss you off.

Did you even read my posts? I specifically said I don't care if people want to hunt HF. Like I said, buy a deer and put it in your backyard and kill it.

It's not going to piss me off because I really don't care what you do or what anyone else does. The only ignorant post I read was yours about the 3 types of HF haters which specifically ignores the most common type of person who opposes HF and that is those who are opposed to artificial confinement.

Sorry for the democrat comment, that was truly a terrible insult. roflmao

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 10:43 PM

I really don't have a dog in this fight but here goes. Someone earlier mentioned a woman and the cost for sex. Then they mentioned the size of the so called HF. Did not matter if 1 acre or 1000 all the same. I have been around longer than probably at least 90 percent of those that think they know everything. As most know I have a HF to raise Nubian Ibex. I still don't know from the experts on here where a LF ends and a HF begins. I hear a HF confines an animal and can't escape. I also own a LF place and next to me is a LF where I used to run cattle. Ibex became more profitable so I gave my son the lease. Feeding deer be it LF or HFis the same. Deer are like people on welfare or like most of you waiting on your paycheck. You know when it is going to arrive. You are going to be waiting for it to be handed to you or you are going to check you account to make sure it did. I can trip the timer at the LF place and tell you how many deer are going to come. I see the same deer on the neighbors place every morning when I go by it to feed my Ibex. LF deer may not be confined by a fence but they are by feed. So piss and moan about HF all you want. You are just kidding yourself if you are feeding deer you are not confining them.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 11:04 PM

If it’s all the same, they wouldn’t be built. They cost $$$, you know. People don’t spend $$$ for the fun of it.

I get the desire to justify them as cool, fine, and all the same by those who favor them, but when we get to all these silly arguments like they don’t prevent escape and food confines deer just like HF, who’s kidding who?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 11:07 PM

If it’s all the same, they wouldn’t be built. They cost $$$, you know. People don’t spend $$$ for the fun of it.

I get the desire to justify them as cool, fine, and all the same by those who favor them, but who’s kidding who?

cheerleader TRUTH

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 11:09 PM

I get the desire to justify them as cool, fine, and all the same by those who favor them, but when we get to all these silly arguments like they don’t prevent escape and food confines deer just like HF, who’s kidding who?

People don’t spend money for fun......put the bottle down

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 11:12 PM

I specifically said I don't care if people want to hunt HF. Like I said, buy a deer and put it in your backyard and kill it.

It's not going to piss me off because I really don't care what you do or what anyone else does. The only ignorant post I read was yours about the 3 types of HF haters which specifically ignores the most common type of person who opposes HF and that is those who are opposed to artificial confinement.

I appreciate your apology for the Democrat comment.

My “backyard” is 1,500 acres. Wanna place a bet on if you can find a specific buck in there? I’ll give you all season. If you find the buck & get him he’s free. If (when) you don’t, you can then shut your pie hole. Deal?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 11:29 PM

I like the idea that if your fence restricts game movement you should be required to compensate the state of Texas for every animal you fence in. Just the same way a poacher should be fined. If you’re willing to pay that price then you are allowed your high fence. The deer inside your fence are then considered livestock, and not under TPWD. Free range whitetail deer are the property of the people in the state of Texas not the Kings deer.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
I like the idea that if your fence restricts game movement you should be required to compensate the state of Texas for every animal you fence in. Just the same way a poacher should be fined. If you’re willing to pay that price then you are allowed your high fence. The deer inside your fence are then considered livestock, and not under TPWD. Free range whitetail deer are the property of the people in the state of Texas not the Kings deer.

Most I know would love to stroke that check, I'm sure none would have a problem with that since seasons and harvest restriction laws would go out the window and TAHC would be solely in charge of disease regulation. They would have full discretion to manage their habitat and flora freely any way they choose.

One and done deal for a lot of farmers too. They can HF and shot the jumpers year round.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 11:45 PM

I specifically said I don't care if people want to hunt HF. Like I said, buy a deer and put it in your backyard and kill it.

My “backyard” is 1,500 acres. Wanna place a bet on if you can find a specific buck in there? I’ll give you all season. If you find the buck & get him he’s free. If (when) you don’t, you can then shut your pie hole. Deal?

If I was retired and had the time I would put some serious money on that bet and take you up on it. Unfortunately I still work. frown Give me another 5-10 years and we will talk, I would love to give it a shot.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/25/19 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster

Most I know would love to stroke that check, I'm sure none would have a problem with that since seasons and harvest restriction laws would go out the window and TAHC would be solely in charge of disease regulation. They would have full discretion to manage their habitat and flora freely any way they choose.

One and done deal for a lot of farmers too. They can HF and shot the jumpers year round.

There would be riots and/or fences being torn down all over if that were the law. And about 5% of the fences put up (only by the super-rich guys) if it had been the law 40 years ago. BTW, seasons and harvest restrictions are basically out the window now for those so inclined with MLDP.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 12:21 AM

If I was retired and had the time I would put some serious money on that bet and take you up on it. Unfortunately I still work. frown Give me another 5-10 years and we will talk, I would love to give it a shot.

Reason why Amos, Rancher and MF make that bet, roflmao be a fun 120 plus days of hunting though. Cool season of wildlife interaction and photography though. Might get lucky who knows, just stacked deck against you.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 12:23 AM

That’s exactly what I thought.

I guess shooting a deer in someone’s “backyard” is so tough that you have to be retired to have enough time. That certainly flies in the face of your ignorant comments about “pens” & “backyards”. If it was easy as you say, you should be able to get that deer in 1 day.

Where I come from, you either put some $ where your mouth is or you STFU. Now you know which you need to do.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 12:25 AM

There would be riots and/or fences being torn down all over if that were the law. And about 5% of the fences put up (only by the super-rich guys) if it had been the law 40 years ago. BTW, seasons and harvest restrictions are basically out the window now for those so inclined with MLDP.

LOLOLOLOOLOLLOL. No. Get off the sauce.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 12:31 AM

I really don't have a dog in this fight but here goes. Someone earlier mentioned a woman and the cost for sex. Then they mentioned the size of the so called HF. Did not matter if 1 acre or 1000 all the same. I have been around longer than probably at least 90 percent of those that think they know everything. As most know I have a HF to raise Nubian Ibex. I still don't know from the experts on here where a LF ends and a HF begins. I hear a HF confines an animal and can't escape. I also own a LF place and next to me is a LF where I used to run cattle. Ibex became more profitable so I gave my son the lease. Feeding deer be it LF or HFis the same. Deer are like people on welfare or like most of you waiting on your paycheck. You know when it is going to arrive. You are going to be waiting for it to be handed to you or you are going to check you account to make sure it did. I can trip the timer at the LF place and tell you how many deer are going to come. I see the same deer on the neighbors place every morning when I go by it to feed my Ibex. LF deer may not be confined by a fence but they are by feed. So piss and moan about HF all you want. You are just kidding yourself if you are feeding deer you are not confining them.

up

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 12:55 AM

I guess shooting a deer in someone’s “backyard” is so tough that you have to be retired to have enough time. That certainly flies in the face of your ignorant comments about “pens” & “backyards”. If it was easy as you say, you should be able to get that deer in 1 day.

Where I come from, you either put some $ where your mouth is or you STFU. Now you know which you need to do.

Lol, whoa chief, you mad bro? You must have me confused with someone else. I haven't used the words pen or called a HF place a backyard in this thread. And I never said it was easy either. C'mon, you are really reaching....maybe I'll just STFU now since you have somehow managed not to confine deer inside your HF "backyard". roflmao

I have no desire to waste my valuable time trying to prove to you the definitions of confinement and control or escape (which I've already done a few posts back). Like I said, I would love to give it a shot. You have a fence for a reason or multiple reasons....just think about that and why you have the fence and you'll have the answer. The great thing about your HF buck is you know he isn't going anywhere...there's definitely value in that and being able to control the herd and manage it better.

Read every single one of my posts again....my comments can't be ignorant if they are factual. And in case you missed it, I have no problem with you or anyone else who wants to HF their place. Go for it. Just don't act like it changes nothing.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 01:02 AM

Reason why Amos, Rancher and MF make that bet, roflmao be a fun 120 plus days of hunting though. Cool season of wildlife interaction and photography though. Might get lucky who knows, just stacked deck against you.

Yes it would be fun, I like a challenge. Might fail or might succeed, who knows, that's why it's called hunting. My place this year I hunted all season for one specific buck that would come on my property about every 7-10 days...luckily no one else killed him and I got him the last evening of the season. Most rewarding deer season I've ever had.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 01:09 AM

I've just caught up on this thread and didn't realize it had become so spirited, but it is a HF thread...

Lots of insults, calling folks Democrats and the like, whew.... just don't pick on us neighborhood livin', cul-de-sac occupying, Dallas folks who descend on the countryside and bring a little sunshine and excitement to your lives!

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 01:10 AM

I just realized where you got the backyard comment and I think you misunderstood. I was saying I don't have a problem with HF hunting and even if someone wants to put a deer in their backyard and kill it. I wasn't referring to a HF place being a backyard. Maybe that was the confusion....

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 01:13 AM

Everyone of those guys have deer that show up via helo survey or one off camera photo, that they hunt daily via self or with customers and it dies of old age some where. It is cool to know that some deer just don’t like corn and protein and some just wont move much. I actually wish you would you would quickly understand what I mean by constraints. It would change you opinion for sure, even if you killed him. Maybe not to a full blown level of acceptance but would be humbling, but an awesome year of hunting awesome country regardless

PS: I’m going to end up beating you to retirement I’m out in four, better get to drilling banana

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 01:16 AM

Everyone of those guys have deer that show up via helo survey or one off camera photo, that they hunt daily via self or with customers and it dies of old age some where. It is cool to know that some deer just don’t like corn and protein and some just wont move much. I actually wish you would you would quickly understand what I mean by constraints. It would change you opinion for sure, even if you killed him. Maybe not to a full blown level of acceptance but would be humbling

PS: I’m going to beat you to retirement I’m out in four, better get to drilling banana

I'm gonna start doing root canals on every tooth so I can catch you.

If we didn't have 4 little kids I'd probably be done already, Lol.
crying

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 01:28 AM

Everyone of those guys have deer that show up via helo survey or one off camera photo, that they hunt daily via self or with customers and it dies of old age some where. It is cool to know that some deer just don’t like corn and protein and some just wont move much. I actually wish you would you would quickly understand what I mean by constraints. It would change you opinion for sure, even if you killed him. Maybe not to a full blown level of acceptance but would be humbling

PS: I’m going to beat you to retirement I’m out in four, better get to drilling banana

I'm gonna start doing root canals on every tooth so I can catch you.

If we didn't have 4 little kids I'd probably be done already, Lol.
crying

Ha, Look at positives oldest clothes will be back in style by time youngest gets to them wink atleast that’s what I tell myself about my 2 year old

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 01:55 AM

You need a therapist NP, they could help you separate fantasy from reality..... roflmao

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 02:27 AM

You need a therapist NP, they could help you separate fantasy from reality..... roflmao

Love the thoughtful responses. And in a few posts you’ll be whining about how those who don’t like HFs are such meanies who just insult people.

smile

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 03:43 AM

Will you two please stop quoting his attempts to troll me, so I don’t have to actually read the crap he tries to troll me with.

No legally defined season for MLD or State Biologists Mandated harvest requirements based on herd sustainability and habitat /herd health, just a landowner free for all . .... Lol he knows that isn’t true, now he will try to play the victim, watch

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
.. just don't pick on us neighborhood livin', cul-de-sac occupying, Dallas folks who descend on the countryside and bring a little sunshine and excitement to your lives!

Whoa there. You live in a cul-de-sac?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 04:08 AM

Sorry Doc, thanks for clearing that up. It’s NP who is spouting the nonsense.

Theoretically, I think the proverbial 1 acre HF pen is a pen. I have not ever seen anyone argue otherwise. The proverbial 10,000 acre HF place is not. The HF haters will never admit that, & they won’t put their $ where their mouth is & bet on a hunt. It’s the fact that the Haters want to force their beliefs on everyone else & restrict private property owners rights.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 05:02 AM

Sorry Doc, thanks for clearing that up. It’s NP who is spouting the nonsense.

Theoretically, I think the proverbial 1 acre HF pen is a pen. I have not ever seen anyone argue otherwise. The proverbial 10,000 acre HF place is not. The HF haters will never admit that, & they won’t put their $ where their mouth is & bet on a hunt. It’s the fact that the Haters want to force their beliefs on everyone else & restrict private property owners rights.

No worries, I see how my backyard comment could have been misinterpreted. cheers

I think a person should be able to do what they want on their property, but at the same time we should be able to have opinions on these things even if we don't participate.

Btw, I wish my backyard was 1500 acres. I'll have to settle for my 1 acre yard for now..... cowboy
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 01:58 PM

I do and get this.... I also back up to the greenbelt! flag
Posted By: Charlieb68

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 02:42 PM

Hell..... I see the same deer in the low fence area almost everyday at the same feeders when I'm hunting. I don't hardly ever see the same deer at the same feeder in the high fence area.

I see high fence as an opportunity for a landowner to protect the deer from bubba next door shooting him before he's mature. If it wasn't for landowners day hunting 150 acres with three blinds on the fence line shared with his neighbor, and running 30 hunters a year through those 3 stands, that other neighbor probably wouldn't spend the $250K for the high fence in order for the deer to reach 4 or 5 years old.

Day hunters have a right to feel their freezers with anything that's legal,, (we all know they never shoot anything that's almost legal....right?). And the 150 acre landowner has a right to day hunt the [censored] out of his place, but for someone to frown upon the landowners that exercise their right to high fence their own places is rediculous.

If all hunters were ethical and shared a code of honor to only harvest mature deer there wouldn't be a problem. But I'd bet I could put photos of 10 bucks up on this forum and a huge number of "experienced" hunters would say they would shoot the deer if it came in front of them during season, even though they aren't mature deer, but they are all "legal".

To each their own. Hunt the way you want, manage deer the way you want on your place, and we will do the same on ours.....

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

I do and get this.... I also back up to the greenbelt! flag

I do too. Not an official greenbelt in back, just the neighbors, but I get axis passing by on a regular basis.

A lot of suburbanite haters are living 10 miles out of town on their 20 or 30 acre "ranch".

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Charlieb68
Hell..... I see the same deer in the low fence area almost everyday at the same feeders when I'm hunting. I don't hardly ever see the same deer at the same feeder in the high fence area.

I see high fence as an opportunity for a landowner to protect the deer from bubba next door shooting him before he's mature. If it wasn't for landowners day hunting 150 acres with three blinds on the fence line shared with his neighbor, and running 30 hunters a year through those 3 stands, that other neighbor probably wouldn't spend the $250K for the high fence in order for the deer to reach 4 or 5 years old.

Day hunters have a right to feel their freezers with anything that's legal,, (we all know they never shoot anything that's almost legal....right?). And the 150 acre landowner has a right to day hunt the [censored] out of his place, but for someone to frown upon the landowners that exercise their right to high fence their own places is rediculous.

If all hunters were ethical and shared a code of honor to only harvest mature deer there wouldn't be a problem. But I'd bet I could put photos of 10 bucks up on this forum and a huge number of "experienced" hunters would say they would shoot the deer if it came in front of them during season, even though they aren't mature deer, but they are all "legal".

To each their own. Hunt the way you want, manage deer the way you want on your place, and we will do the same on ours.....

cheers

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 03:13 PM

Love the thoughtful responses. And in a few posts you’ll be whining about how those who don’t like HFs are such meanies who just insult people.

smile

Pot meet kettle.....you accusing someone of whining.

I find it hard to remain silent when grown men don't mind their own business about what other grown men do legally. Especially when hypocrisy is mixed in with the insults.........and I wouldn't think of you as mean, too much on the childish side to be mean, lol.... grin

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler
Sitting in a box some on elevated stands in a comfy chair with a steady rifle rest, watching a timed corn feeder or planted food plot used to draw deer in, using trail cameras to pattern & select targets to put on your 'hit' list, quality optics both binoculars & scoped rifles.

And the height of the fence determines 'fair chase' or not... or somehow changes the definition of 'hunting / hunter'.

Careful there Rustler, your giving facts and logic to consider........to those who only think emotionally......falls on deaf ears.
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 03:55 PM

100,000 acre minimum

HF is BS

This. Especially the second line.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by FamousAmos
100,000 acre minimum

HF is BS

What a well thought out and damning argument. Well done.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 04:39 PM

Has anyone EVER changed their mind regarding their stance on HF/LF because of what they read on a THF thread? What a beating...but it is fun reading. clap
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 04:55 PM

back to the OP's Question.

Having hunted a 5500 acre HF place in the Hill Country for the past 8 years and having had the chance to stand on top of various places on the ranch and look out over large sections of that ranch and other ranches, the minimum HF number that would make me comfortable is something bigger than around 400 or so acres (assuming typical topology/coverage and not some large empty field where you can see from one side to the other). Smaller than that would feel too enclosed for me.

As far as the state of Texas legislating the size, no way. If I owned a piece of property and felt like I wanted to put an 8' fence around it because my neighbors were a bunch of crack-heads or I just wanted to keep trespassers off my land, it shouldn't make a difference if it was 1 acre or 1,000,000 acres.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by gtrich94
If I owned a piece of property and felt like I wanted to put an 8' fence around it because my neighbors were a bunch of crack-heads or I just wanted to keep trespassers off my land, it shouldn't make a difference if it was 1 acre or 1,000,000 acres.

Nobody ever puts up a fence for that! laugh It's those greedy bastards that want to keep me from poaching hunting and they grow all them 'roided up bucks that I cain't put on the wall in my trailer!
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
Has anyone EVER changed their mind regarding their stance on HF/LF because of what they read on a THF thread? What a beating...but it is fun reading. clap

up
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 05:35 PM

I like how you decry one set of hunters because they want to shoot the S*&^ out of their property legally, and then you justifiy it by setting a "code of honor" and calling it ethical. Pot meet kettle...

Add in there the insulting names you give to meat hunters and the "poorer" land owners that cant afford to HF and then lump all small land owners as fence shooters.

Come on man, the hubris is thick, try laying off the juice for a bit and come back to reality.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 05:55 PM

Popcorn eating thread for sure. BOBO made a comment I have never thought of in that exact light and im going to have to give it some thought. He said if the hunter is more confined than the deer its considered hunting but if the deer is more confined than the hunter then its not. Personally I don’t have a big problem with hunting a LARGE HF place but I hate to see “hunting” in a real SMALL HF place. Im not saying you cant do it but I just don't like to see it. I think BOBOs comments may address the OPs question and help some to determine their own line between large enough and too small.
While im contemplating his comment I want to offer an example. Im not taking a strong stance on either side of this HF LF issue but want to just throw out some real life examples to ponder. I hunt over 10000 acres LF in NW Tx and have for a long time. Some of it is very thick brush and some is pretty open but MOST is what I call scattered mesquite and provides plenty of security cover for deer. Most of the topo allows us to set up high and see a long ways. Some setups allow us to see a lot of 1000 acres or more. A very few setups allow us to see only 10 acres or so. Just as an example, one fenced pasture is 600 acres and has less mature mesquites than others. Because of the topo if you put a tall stand in the middle and if the leaves were off the mesquite and if the deer were really moving then you could likely see almost every deer in that pasture. If that 600 acres were HF and you strategically placed 3 or 4 hunters around the pasture then I think you could probably kill every deer in it in one day.
Im not drawing any conclusions from this info but I just wanted to throw it out as food for thought.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 06:14 PM

A lot of good points brought up in this thread, along with some ridiculous ones roflmao either made in joke or real, doesn't matter.

The reality is hunting ethics are driven by local practices more than anything. Using feeders is considered completely unethical and one in the same as hunting a HF pen (I am talking about a 1-2 acre shoot pen, and yes some people think that's what a HF is) in some parts of the woods. Using a high power rifle with high end optics is considered unethical to some. doing drive hunts or dog hunts is considered unethical here in TX, but in some parts it is the way things are done. Shooting only mature deer and taking doe whenever to make ratios better is considered good ethical hunting management while in some areas shooting any buck and no does is considered ethical and sometimes the only legal take. The list goes on and on....

For all us hunters, the reality is any legal method should be good enough. It should be a matter of which legal method is the better way, or the best way, it should be any legal method, period. We need to stick together and not throw insults and call names and state "X is the way and all the other methods are unethical or not true hunting" or whatever. Anything that divides us or gives fodder for the anti's or anti2A folks is just going to hurt us all. Period. There is a war going on out there to take away guns, to take away rights. It is a cold war, and will not be won by being divided. We need to stand together and be collective, because that is what we are up against. These arguments are available to the public, even if they aren't members, and can be found by an easy google search. We need to make sure we keep it clean, constructive and insult/name calling free.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

I like how you decry one set of hunters because they want to shoot the S*&^ out of their property legally, and then you justifiy it by setting a "code of honor" and calling it ethical. Pot meet kettle...

Add in there the insulting names you give to meat hunters and the "poorer" land owners that cant afford to HF and then lump all small land owners as fence shooters.

Come on man, the hubris is thick, try laying off the juice for a bit and come back to reality.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 09:28 PM

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I know some folks get sensitive when a person voices their opinion that might hit a nerve to close to home. I didn't say you were "Bubba" or that you put your blinds on the fence line, just that it happens. I didn't say you over hunted your day lease or that you were unethical, but it happens.... For a man to spend $250K on a fence there has to be a reason. You may or may not be part of the reason, but since I don't know you and you don't know me. Just stating my opinion as I've seen it, maybe it's only around our property that this happens, but damn the luck it seems every low fence lease I've ever been on....it seems the neighbors on one side are decent and management minded, the other side Is like bag-em all we will eat well....

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 10:41 PM

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I know some folks get sensitive when a person voices their opinion that might hit a nerve to close to home. I didn't say you were "Bubba" or that you put your blinds on the fence line, just that it happens. I didn't say you over hunted your day lease or that you were unethical, but it happens.... For a man to spend $250K on a fence there has to be a reason. You may or may not be part of the reason, but since I don't know you and you don't know me. Just stating my opinion as I've seen it, maybe it's only around our property that this happens, but damn the luck it seems every low fence lease I've ever been on....it seems the neighbors on one side are decent and management minded, the other side Is like bag-em all we will eat well....

Not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I suspect it was...

You didn't hurt my feelings at all, don't know you so it wasn't personal at all. Just calling out your "HF hunter privilege" and letting you know you need to "check your privilege".

Sometimes the reason a person wants to spend 250K on a fence is so they can control everything inside of it. Sometimes someone spends 250K just because they have it and need something to get a tax write off with. I refuse to believe that every HF operation was put in place because of fence hunters and neighbors that shot out their day leases. Simply not true. Many folks that have the means, also have the control gene. The HF allows them to control things as much as humanly possible and that is the reason, probably more often than not, for the HF proliferation going on. In many cases the control is intended well, i.e. habitat management, game management, food source management, harvest management, etc. But in some instances the control factor has no good intention and is all about harvesting a huge deer they have on a small HF place and brought in to specifically shoot for them selves or a client.

The reality is LF hunting is just a game of "you get what you get and don't throw a fit if the neighbors, or road traffic , or the rut or whatever take out a good deer". HF hunting is a game of "we know what we got, so lets find it". Not saying HF hunting is easier, no way, but you at least know if you see an animal, it SHOULD still be there somewhere in the HF (dead or alive) the next time you are there.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/26/19 11:52 PM

Yes I am very thankful to the HF fairies for granting me the privilege that I have, along with the others that work days on end to have a decent place to hunt.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
100,000 acre minimum

HF is BS

You scoff, and I understand that.
But for those of us who prefer not to shoot enclosed animals, there is no need for much analysis or discussion. It’s simple. We don’t want to shoot enclosed animals. They are captive. Trapped by an unnatural barrier to their movements. It’s not hunting to us. Not much more really need be said about it because an 8 year old can understand it.

Only who seek to justify shooting enclosed animals as normal hunting have to twist themselves into pretzels making crazy arguments like the HF makes no difference, baffle with BS gobbledygook arguments that can’t be followed and then insult the intelligence of those who don’t follow them, whine about insults and trolling as they insult and troll, pile irrelevance upon irrelevance, engage in personal attacks to avoid responding to points made, and constantly deflect/change the subject. In short, many just simply see red because others don’t agree with them on the subject.

Why? Because for many the mirror of shooting enclosed animals being held up is not a comfortable experience. Plus, anyone younger than 40 or so raised here in TX almost certainly has come to simply accept HFs as the way things are done.

But the game farms are starting to bleed financially and the HF places are fast losing their allure in the market. Many have had enough - both those who have and haven’t participated.

I get the argument that people should be allowed to do what they want on their land - even including shooting livestock or fish in a barrel should they so desire. It’s by far the best argument on that side of the table - only countered by the potential harm to hunting as a whole from an ethics standpoint. This leads to folks simply
agreeing to disagree.

All the other crazy arguments and justifications seeking to define the HFs as making no difference, the deflection, anger, etc. are Freudian in nature because those making them know deep down their absurdity - but simply refuse to accept reality because to do so would lessen or demean an endeavor many call hunting. This many are unwilling to do, for obvious reasons.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 03:43 AM

100,000 acre minimum

HF is BS

But for those of us who prefer not to shoot enclosed animals, there is no need for much analysis or discussion. It’s simple. We don’t want to shoot enclosed animals. They are captive. Trapped by an unnatural barrier to their movements. It’s not hunting to us. Not much more really need be said about it because 8 year old can understand it.

Only who seek to justify shooting enclosed animals as normal hunting have to twist themselves into pretzels making crazy arguments like the HF makes no difference, baffle with BS gobbledygook arguments that can’t be followed and then insult the intelligence of those who don’t follow them, whine about insults and trolling as they insult and troll, pile irrelevance upon irrelevance, engage in personal attacks to avoid responding to points made, and constantly deflect/change the subject. In short, many just simply see red because others don’t agree with them on the subject.

Why? Because for many the mirror of shooting enclosed animals being held up is simply not a comfortable experience. Plus, anyone younger than 40 or so raised here in TX almost certainly has come to simply accept HFs as the way things are done.

But the game farms are starting to bleed financially and the HF places are fast losing their allure in the market. Many have simply had enough - both those who have and haven’t participated.

I get the argument that people should be allowed to do what they want on their land - even including shooting livestock or fish in a barrel should they so desire. It’s by far the best argument on that side of the table - only countered by the potential harm to hunting as a whole from an ethics standpoint. This leads simply to folks agreeing to disagree.

All the other crazy arguments and justifications seeking to define the HFs as making no difference, the deflection, anger, etc. are Freudian in nature because those making them know deep down their absurdity - but simply refuse to accept reality because to do so would lessen or demean an endeavor many call hunting. This many are unwilling to do, for obvious reasons.

Absolute GOSPEL OF TRUTH!!!!
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 03:52 AM

Well this one blew up quick! This is hotter than .223 for deer!

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 05:24 AM

But for those of us who prefer not to shoot enclosed animals, there is no need for much analysis or discussion. It’s simple. We don’t want to shoot enclosed animals. They are captive. Trapped by an unnatural barrier to their movements. It’s not hunting to us. Not much more really need be said about it because 8 year old can understand it.

Why? Because for many the mirror of shooting enclosed animals being held up is simply not a comfortable experience. Plus, anyone younger than 40 or so raised here in TX almost certainly has come to simply accept HFs as the way things are done.

But the game farms are starting to bleed financially and the HF places are fast losing their allure in the market. Many have simply had enough - both those who have and haven’t participated.

I get the argument that people should be allowed to do what they want on their land - even including shooting livestock or fish in a barrel should they so desire. It’s by far the best argument on that side of the table - only countered by the potential harm to hunting as a whole from an ethics standpoint. This leads simply to folks agreeing to disagree.

Absolute GOSPEL OF DELUSION!!!!

Fixed it for ya, brah.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 05:29 AM

You didn't hurt my feelings at all, don't know you so it wasn't personal at all. Just calling out your "HF hunter privilege" and letting you know you need to "check your privilege".

Sometimes the reason a person wants to spend 250K on a fence is so they can control everything inside of it. Sometimes someone spends 250K just because they have it and need something to get a tax write off with. I refuse to believe that every HF operation was put in place because of fence hunters and neighbors that shot out their day leases. Simply not true. Many folks that have the means, also have the control gene. The HF allows them to control things as much as humanly possible and that is the reason, probably more often than not, for the HF proliferation going on. In many cases the control is intended well, i.e. habitat management, game management, food source management, harvest management, etc. But in some instances the control factor has no good intention and is all about harvesting a huge deer they have on a small HF place and brought in to specifically shoot for them selves or a client.

The reality is LF hunting is just a game of "you get what you get and don't throw a fit if the neighbors, or road traffic , or the rut or whatever take out a good deer". HF hunting is a game of "we know what we got, so lets find it". Not saying HF hunting is easier, no way, but you at least know if you see an animal, it SHOULD still be there somewhere in the HF (dead or alive) the next time you are there.

Read this thread here, genius. Just a random thread here. Make sure & read the part about where the HF is.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...e-7-000-acres-around-hebbronville#UNREAD

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 10:39 AM

100,000 acre minimum

HF is BS

But for those of us who prefer not to shoot enclosed animals, there is no need for much analysis or discussion. It’s simple. We don’t want to shoot enclosed animals. They are captive. Trapped by an unnatural barrier to their movements. It’s not hunting to us. Not much more really need be said about it because an 8 year old can understand it.

Why? Because for many the mirror of shooting enclosed animals being held up is not a comfortable experience. Plus, anyone younger than 40 or so raised here in TX almost certainly has come to simply accept HFs as the way things are done.

But the game farms are starting to bleed financially and the HF places are fast losing their allure in the market. Many have had enough - both those who have and haven’t participated.

I get the argument that people should be allowed to do what they want on their land - even including shooting livestock or fish in a barrel should they so desire. It’s by far the best argument on that side of the table - only countered by the potential harm to hunting as a whole from an ethics standpoint. This leads to folks simply
agreeing to disagree.

troll

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 10:53 AM

You are shooting deer in a enclosure. Simple as that.

I know it’s hard for some of you to admit that but it’s 100% fact.
Posted By: Stub

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 10:53 AM

Amen up

Wow look at all of the Love on the infamous HF topic roflmao

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 11:18 AM

I haven't seen one post in this thread that denies this.......it's the whole point of putting the fence up....and I haven't noticed anyone having a hard time owning up to hunting a HF. As matter of fact there is a survey being done currently that shows over 50% of our members have hunted a HF. They are not having a hard time with owning that fact, nor should they IMO. Why? Because it's LEGAL.

So far this survey shows the non sense being spouted by our resident HF trolls, is just that non sense. They claim most members are against this method of hunting.........the poll shows how full of bs their opinion is.......they act like children that try to shame others that don't agree with them......and convince themselves their child like rants actually change the facts on the ground........so full of themselves their hypocrisy has a stench you could smell a mile away.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 11:43 AM

We found another small acreage fenceline hunter, I bet.

I love it when small acreage hunters get fenced out by their large (now HF) neighbors. For some reason, the small places don’t seem to get the deer numbers they once did, when a HF goes up next door.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 11:47 AM

I haven't seen one post in this thread that denies this.......it's the whole point of putting the fence up....and I haven't noticed anyone having a hard time owning up to hunting a HF. As matter of fact there is a survey being done currently that shows over 50% of our members have hunted a HF. They are not having a hard time with owning that fact, nor should they IMO. Why? Because it's LEGAL.

So far this survey shows the non sense being spouted by our resident HF trolls, is just that non sense. They claim most members are against this method of hunting.........the poll shows how full of bs their opinion is.......they act like children that try to shame others that don't agree with them......and convince themselves their child like rants actually change the facts on the ground........so full of themselves their hypocrisy has a stench you could smell a mile away.

Yes, everyone who doesn’t agree with HF is a troll. You keep telling yourself that.

The poll results do not surprise me at all, knowing the demographic of this forum.

It is hard for some to admit, Ronnie Millsap could see it. It’s the same reason hunting shows hide the fence and/or don’t tell you about it.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 11:49 AM

NP, I’ll make sure & tell the coupla HF guys I know that their business is “bleeding financially” (according to some old crazy guy around Nogales Prairie). They may be shocked to hear this.

Just because you intensely hate HF, doesn’t mean the business is in decline. That’s called confirmation bias, or wishful thinking.

I’d suggest you take a few sleeping pills, drink some whiskey, & reconsider your life choices.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 11:50 AM

We found another small acreage fenceline hunter, I bet.

I love it when small acreage hunters get fenced out by their large (now HF) neighbors. For some reason, the small places don’t seem to get the deer numbers they once did, when a HF goes up next door.

Yes, everyone of us is dirt poor, toothless, trailer house livin fencline hunters. Never been in a piece of land bigger than 10 acres. Lol

You guys are the ones who are all the same.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 11:52 AM

t’s the same reason hunting shows hide the fence and/or don’t tell you about it.

Or maybe hunting shows are actually about hunting, & not the fence that’s 1/2 mile away?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 12:01 PM

The problem here is, the HF haters will not admit that a large HF ranch, lets just say >1,000 acres, is not a “pen”.

HF proponents admit that a small, let’s say <10 acres is a “pen”. Nobody denies that.

The denial of reality is all on the HF haters.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 12:02 PM

Read this thread here, genius. Just a random thread here. Make sure & read the part about where the HF is.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...e-7-000-acres-around-hebbronville#UNREAD

Kind of funny, but that thread speaks to exactly what I stated...control. The HF is there to CONTROL what the neighbor can or can not shoot by not allowing deer access to the neighbors place.

There is no need for the genius part, it is below this forum to hurl sarcastic insults and backhanded internet tough man language as I never said anything of the same. Keep it above board and it will go a long way, but the insults make you seem childish.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 12:08 PM

Yes, everyone of us is dirt poor, toothless, trailer house livin fencline hunters. Never been in a piece of land bigger than 10 acres. Lol

So let us know more about your lease, how many acres? Hunters? Harvest numbers.

While you, yourself may not be a toothless, dirt poor fenceline hunter, I do t think you can deny there are plenty of hunters out there harvesting more deer from their acreage that their natural carrying capacity. That’s 1 of the main causes of HF. Something else the HF haters can’t seem to comprehend.

I want nice, big, mature bucks. For that, I’ll have to HF, because I’m surrounded by neighboring podunk places overloaded with hunters who shoot anything that moves. The 5 year old buck that I would want to hunt this year was killed 3 years ago by some [censored] from Dallas who didn’t give a [censored] about deer management. He then put the meat in his freezer, which was later thrown out after it sat in the freezer for years.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 12:13 PM

While you, yourself may not be a toothless, dirt poor fenceline hunter, I do t think you can deny there are plenty of hunters out there harvesting more deer from their acreage that their natural carrying capacity. That’s 1 of the main causes of HF. Something else the HF haters can’t seem to comprehend.

I want nice, big, mature bucks. For that, I’ll have to HF, because I’m surrounded by neighboring podunk places overloaded with hunters who shoot anything that moves. The 5 year old buck that I would want to hunt this year was killed 3 years ago by some [censored] from Dallas who didn’t give a [censored] about deer management. He then put the meat in his freezer, which was later thrown out after it sat in the freezer for years.

I don’t need a lease. Just about everyone in my family owns land. My main hunting spot is my grandmas 1200 acre place outside of Dublin.

Feel better now? Or do you need my entire hunting resume?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 12:17 PM

Kind of funny, but that thread speaks to exactly what I stated...control. The HF is there to CONTROL what the neighbor can or can not shoot by not allowing deer access to the neighbors place.

There is no need for the genius part, it is below this forum to hurl sarcastic insults and backhanded internet tough man language as I never said anything of the same. Keep it above board and it will go a long way, but the insults make you seem childish.

Your the 1 talkin about “HF privilege” like your Bernie Sanders. How pedantic of you to lecture someone on “privilege”. Funny how you never admit how much time, work & money go into a HF places.

Nobody that I’ve ever seen denies that a HF is there to control the animals. Your arguing against a straw man. That’s the only debate you can win. Someone having a HF doesn’t dictate what their neighbor can shoot or not shoot (as you claim). They are still welcome to shoot anything on their place. Your fallacy in logic (or lack thereof) is shown with that statement. It shows your outlook as you want to shoot what’s on your neighbors place.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 12:19 PM

I don’t need a lease. Just about everyone in my family owns land. My main hunting spot is my grandmas 1200 acre place outside of Dublin.

Feel better now? Or do you need my entire hunting resume?

Good for you. & how many hunt that place? Check your privilege. It’s a big deal around here.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 12:29 PM

Forget fences. I hope someone in the family is talking to Grandma about what SHE wants to happen to the 1200 acres after she's gone. Otherwise, it can tear a family apart.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 12:37 PM

Forget fences. I hope someone in the family is talking to Grandma about what SHE wants to happen to the 1200 acres after she's gone. Otherwise, it can tear a family apart.

Absolutely. I’ve seen it a few times, & wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Any ranch with multiple heirs is only 1 generation away from getting busted up & sold. It’s sickitating.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 12:43 PM

Yes, everyone who doesn’t agree with HF is a troll. You keep telling yourself that.

The poll results do not surprise me at all, knowing the demographic of this forum.

It is hard for some to admit, Ronnie Millsap could see it. It’s the same reason hunting shows hide the fence and/or don’t tell you about it.

I'm curious, please share what you know about the demographics of this forum.........

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 12:50 PM

Absolutely. I’ve seen it a few times, & wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Any ranch with multiple heirs is only 1 generation away from getting busted up & sold. It’s sickitating.

The estate inheritance tax is wrong in so many ways.....taxing assets that have already been taxed just because of a death that caused a generation transfer..........the Trump administration wants to eliminate this for good.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 01:33 PM

The problem here is, the HF haters will not admit that a large HF ranch, lets just say >1,000 acres, is not a &#147;pen&#148;.

HF proponents admit that a small, let&#146;s say <10 acres is a &#147;pen&#148;. Nobody denies that.

The denial of reality is all on the HF haters.

And the pro-HF guys all say "once you get to a certain size the fence becomes no concern because you have gone beyond the scope of the deers travel and living habits, so it matters not if there is a HF there"

And yet, the HF is still there. So which is it? We need the fence to "keep things out" or we don't need the fence because the place is sooo big it doesn't matter anyway?

Gets back to why the HF is there in the first place...CONTROL

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 01:38 PM

Your the 1 talkin about &#147;HF privilege&#148; like your Bernie Sanders. How pedantic of you to lecture someone on &#147;privilege&#148;. Funny how you never admit how much time, work & money go into a HF places.

Nobody that I&#146;ve ever seen denies that a HF is there to control the animals. Your arguing against a straw man. That&#146;s the only debate you can win. Someone having a HF doesn&#146;t dictate what their neighbor can shoot or not shoot (as you claim). They are still welcome to shoot anything on their place. Your fallacy in logic (or lack thereof) is shown with that statement. It shows your outlook as you want to shoot what&#146;s on your neighbors place.

MF, even you are stretching with this one. Look back in the posts and see what I am referring to and you will see my beef had nothing to do with you until you called me a name and then made my argument that the majority of HF are there because the owner wants to control the deer on their place. I was rebutting someone who said the HF was there for a number of other reasons, but control wasn't one of them and if I remember it was explicitly excluded as not a reason. I wasn't arguing with you until you brought it to me.

As far as privilege, you have no idea what you are talking about and equating me with Bernie is yet again another name calling kindergarten tactic. Stop it. Theres no place for that here. This can be a civil discussion, but you are trying to make it dis-civil. Shame on you man!

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 01:45 PM

MF,...is yet again another name calling kindergarten tactic.

I'm confused. I know I'm getting older, but what does "MF" stand for again. confused2

Your the 1 talkin about &#147;HF privilege&#148; like your Bernie Sanders. How pedantic of you to lecture someone on &#147;privilege&#148;. Funny how you never admit how much time, work & money go into a HF places.

Nobody that I&#146;ve ever seen denies that a HF is there to control the animals. Your arguing against a straw man. That&#146;s the only debate you can win. Someone having a HF doesn&#146;t dictate what their neighbor can shoot or not shoot (as you claim). They are still welcome to shoot anything on their place. Your fallacy in logic (or lack thereof) is shown with that statement. It shows your outlook as you want to shoot what&#146;s on your neighbors place.

MF, even you are stretching with this one. Look back in the posts and see what I am referring to and you will see my beef had nothing to do with you until you called me a name and then made my argument that the majority of HF are there because the owner wants to control the deer on their place. I was rebutting someone who said the HF was there for a number of other reasons, but control wasn't one of them and if I remember it was explicitly excluded as not a reason. I wasn't arguing with you until you brought it to me.

As far as privilege, you have no idea what you are talking about and equating me with Bernie is yet again another name calling kindergarten tactic. Stop it. Theres no place for that here. This can be a civil discussion, but you are trying to make it dis-civil. Shame on you man!

Quit using Democrat talking points, & I might take you more seriously.
Posted By: FamousAmos

EXACTLY!!! That, right there, is why so many are opposed to high fencing. You fence in the wildlife that belongs to all, even the small acreage landowner, making it solely your personal property.

Thank you for stating the reality so plainly.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam - 06/27/19 01:54 PM

MF,...is yet again another name calling kindergarten tactic.

I'm confused. I know I'm getting older, but what does "MF" stand for again. confused2

Lol.
stir
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum