Texas Hunting Forum

New lease

Posted By: bryson188

New lease - 05/30/19 01:24 AM

Hey guys i just got on a new lease outside of commanche tx can anybody tell me how the hunting is out that way ive always hunted northeast tx.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: New lease - 05/30/19 12:32 PM

Buddy of mine has 2,000 acres of family ranch near Commanche. They take some heavy horned bucks every year, I'd say 120s-130s mostly, some 140s occasionally. Lots of oaks in that area with the sandy loam. He has always told me that the annual acorn crop plays a big role on whether the deer will hit feeders or not down there which is probably pretty similar to a lot of areas in the NW Cross Timbers area of TX. I know there are generally not a lot of hogs and fairly decent amounts of turkey too. Good luck to you on the new lease!
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: New lease - 05/30/19 01:16 PM

I have several friends that have places in Comanche County. All seem to have pretty good quality deer. Lots of turkeys, and I know at least one of them has a pretty constant flow of hogs. Nice country and a good distance from the metro to get away, but not too long a drive.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: New lease - 06/01/19 01:10 AM

Both these guys are spot on. My Mother is from Sidney near round mountain. I've hunted there since the early '70s. More and better deer these days. Bumper, acorn crop will slow down feeder action for sure. Great deer though. Big, gnarly, non- typical racks are not uncommon. Good luck.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: New lease - 06/01/19 02:02 PM

I hunted four miles north west of Priddy on CR235 from 07-16 and had lots of deer with a pretty good buck/doe ratio. We usually got at least one 130 inch buck every year.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: New lease - 06/03/19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by TPACK
I hunted four miles north west of Priddy on CR235 from 07-16 and had lots of deer with a pretty good buck/doe ratio. We usually got at least one 130 inch buck every year.

You must have been really close to Tator Hill!
Posted By: TxAggie10

Re: New lease - 06/04/19 12:32 AM

I live in Comanche. Deer hunting quality varies on the location. Yes some great areas and some just fair. Same with hogs.

I can provide recommendations for local services if necessary
Posted By: TPACK

Re: New lease - 06/09/19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Originally Posted by TPACK

You must have been really close to Tator Hill!

Yes, we were very close. My blind was about 300 yards from the base of Tator Hill. We hundred next to Schusters game ranch.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: New lease - 06/21/19 11:35 PM

I hunted just south of Dublin from 2008-2010. We had very few deer, one guy did shoot a good buck. Not sure what its like there now
Posted By: mow

Re: New lease - 06/25/19 12:34 PM

you will love it..alot more than east texas..keep us posted!
Posted By: DH3

Re: New lease - 07/04/19 08:02 AM

Just a question...Why would you sign a lease with no idea of availability of game?? confused2
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New lease - 07/04/19 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by DH3
Just a question...Why would you sign a lease with no idea of availability of game?? confused2

Believe me there are deer in that area. Pretty much a known fact!
Posted By: Espy

Re: New lease - 07/04/19 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by bryson188
Hey guys i just got on a new lease outside of commanche tx can anybody tell me how the hunting is out that way ive always hunted northeast tx.

Lots of deer out that way. Have you been out yet?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: New lease - 07/05/19 07:42 AM

I was young once... good luck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum