Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone seen this before?

Posted By: tlk

Anyone seen this before? - 04/07/19 01:40 PM

Riding around with a friend on his ranch and we pulled up to his hay barn - he feeds square bales with full shell peanuts mixed in. I have never seen this before - $11 a bale and he says 30% protein

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/07/19 01:54 PM

Yes I have they are like deer magnets. Where does he buy them?
Posted By: tlk

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/07/19 02:02 PM

Not sure but I will ask - he is near Burnet
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/07/19 06:01 PM

I fed peanut hay in the early 90's to exotics and whitetails on a ranch when alfalfa was hard to get. Deer will mainly sift thru the stalks and eat only the peanuts. Exotics will eat most of the bale. They are high protein but it is hit or miss on the amount of peanuts in a bale. The best way to tell (beside visually seeing peanuts) if a bale has a lot of peanuts is to pick it up and drop it on the ground. It will making a "crinkling/snapping" sound from the peanuts as the bale hits the ground. We paid around $7-$8/bale back in the early 90's and you can find it in round bales at times. Lot of sand and grassburs in the bales also. The bales were much lighter than alfalfa though and with all the waste it gets expensive. You can buy the low quality whole peanuts in sacks or in totes. Much more expensive but 100% peanuts and no waste. Just takes time to train deer on them. Once you do they will walk over corn/acorns/protein pellets to eat them. Coons and hogs love them also.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/07/19 10:08 PM

We used to buy it from a peanut farmer near Comanche, but after he retired, I quit doing it.
Posted By: Papalote

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/08/19 01:07 AM

Ain't seen peanut hay in years!! Good stuff!
Posted By: cos

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/08/19 01:15 AM

Brings back bad memories from when I used to haul the square bales as a kid. Will eat you up. Good stuff though. Best when ground and add in some other ingredients.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/09/19 05:39 PM

Peanut skins is even better, feed both to live stock and deer.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/09/19 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by cos
Brings back bad memories from when I used to haul the square bales as a kid. Will eat you up. Good stuff though. Best when ground and add in some other ingredients.

Yelp, I had a big pto mixture I bought off a dairy.
Posted By: MWTX270

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/10/19 11:35 AM

If you store peanut hay in the barn, the rats and mice get on the phone. Back when the government subsidized peanuts, we always had peanut hay. Now, hardly anyone grows them.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/11/19 03:04 PM

They used to grow a bunch in the DeLeon/Gorman area, and they still grow a ton out here at Brownfield/Seminole. We bought peanut round bales the last two years around Gorman. I've never heard it being 30% protein, though. They will certainly pick the peanuts and leave the stalks for later/not at all.
Posted By: chrishallsrq

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/12/19 02:59 PM

I found a place in FL that sells it. http://www.perennialpeanuthay.org/memberads.php?type=hay You can prob google and find a place closer to your location... I had a deer lease in NC and it had several peanut fields and it would attract a lot of deer.
Posted By: nick_adams

Re: Anyone seen this before? - 04/16/19 09:57 PM

My grandad used to get peanut hay from time to time when I was a kid, and my cousin and I would grab a handful of cow salt out of a bag, and then sit on the rafters in the barn and pick out peanuts, shell them, then dip them in cow salt and eat them.... Seemed like a pretty good snack at the time!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum