Texas Hunting Forum

Kansas in September

Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Kansas in September - 03/25/19 04:57 PM

I just found out I will be hunting in Kansas this September, I may have been a little excited when I got the phone call and may have forgotten the area I am going to. I will be in touch with Buckmasters over the year and will definitely ask again where I am going. I know I won and I know I'll be flying into Wichita and driving from there. Not only did my wife throw me a surprise birthday party over the weekend, now getting a call that I won a hunting trip, I'd say I'm going to have a good week.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Kansas in September - 03/25/19 06:47 PM

Congrats! You will have to apply for a permit to do this hunt though.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Kansas in September - 03/25/19 10:32 PM

time is running out for applications

Re: Kansas in September - 03/25/19 11:31 PM

I just read the application process is April 1-26.

Triple Creek Outiftters is the one that the hunt is through.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Kansas in September - 03/26/19 12:07 AM

That is a great area to hunt. I go to that area (Stafford) to pheasant hunt occasionally as family friends farm and own land there. We always find nice sheds while walking for pheasant and quail. Brought a fellow THF member a few years ago and we had a blast.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Kansas in September - 03/26/19 01:03 AM

Good luck!!!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Kansas in September - 03/26/19 01:27 PM

Congrats...good luck

Looking forward to the pics
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Kansas in September - 03/27/19 12:48 AM

That is awesome!
Congrats!
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Kansas in September - 03/27/19 01:19 AM

That's awesome. Are you bow hunting or using a muzzle loader? There are some BIG deer in that area. I hunt in Stafford County and have seen some really nice bucks taken from the area. The weather can be kinda random that time of year, from foggy in the 50's, to hot and sunny and over 100*
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Kansas in September - 03/27/19 01:21 AM

I have a buddy who hunts up there, and he gets some BIG deer. Big in terms of poundage.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Kansas in September - 03/27/19 04:26 AM

Congratulations looking forward to pics

Re: Kansas in September - 03/27/19 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Triplesnake
That's awesome. Are you bow hunting or using a muzzle loader? There are some BIG deer in that area. I hunt in Stafford County and have seen some really nice bucks taken from the area. The weather can be kinda random that time of year, from foggy in the 50's, to hot and sunny and over 100*

They haven'y given me the details on that yet, the call was pretty short with Jackie Bushman. He had mentioned in the near future they will be in contact with me to go over all the details and picking the dates on when I am go be going. I am hoping for the cooler weather in September.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Kansas in September - 03/27/19 11:19 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Kansas in September - 03/28/19 01:39 PM

Congrats, will be following your journey
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Kansas in September - 03/29/19 01:38 PM

Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Kansas in September - 03/31/19 02:19 PM

That's very exciting. Jackie seems like a really nice fellow. Been keeping up with Buckmasters for 30 years or so. Congratulations. Question, did you enter a drawing or what?, just curious.

Re: Kansas in September - 03/31/19 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
That's very exciting. Jackie seems like a really nice fellow. Been keeping up with Buckmasters for 30 years or so. Congratulations. Question, did you enter a drawing or what?, just curious.

Yes, I won it in a drawing, they give away a handful of hunts every year, I’ve been entering them for about 3 years now.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Kansas in September - 04/03/19 12:00 AM

Herbie, have fun. I'm jealous. This is a once in a lifetime deal flehan
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Kansas in September - 04/04/19 03:52 PM

Shorts and tank tops!

Re: Kansas in September - 04/04/19 07:17 PM

Just gave the guys at Buckmasters my info and they are handling the stuff for the tag draw.

Their contract just ended with scent lock, they aren't sure who is going to be their new clothing sponsor. I will also be using a muzzle loader from what they told me.

Re: Kansas in September - 04/11/19 05:59 AM

Herbie, pay attention to the Kansas website and their notifications. While I'm sure BM will take care of you, if you don't draw, Kansas often has leftover tags that you can purchase online. You have to be paying attention as they normally sell out quickly. Personally, I wouldn't leave my tag purchase up to BM. Trust but verify. Hope this helps. You should have a great time. up
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Kansas in September - 04/11/19 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Just gave the guys at Buckmasters my info and they are handling the stuff for the tag draw.

Their contract just ended with scent lock, they aren't sure who is going to be their new clothing sponsor. I will also be using a muzzle loader from what they told me.

I am sure you are fine but few years ago on one of them shows, a guy won a hunt but didn't buy a license prior to hunt. Well it was $500 for an out of stater. The show made it clear they weren't buying it for him so was pretty funny or embarrassing. He finally got enough money via cash transfer to get one. Took many shots at several pronghorns and got nothing. We pretty ridiculous. Definitely lived up to their name...

Re: Kansas in September - 04/11/19 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
Herbie, pay attention to the Kansas website and their notifications. While I'm sure BM will take care of you, if you don't draw, Kansas often has leftover tags that you can purchase online. You have to be paying attention as they normally sell out quickly. Personally, I wouldn't leave my tag purchase up to BM. Trust but verify. Hope this helps. You should have a great time. up

I am watching it, I got the email receipt shortly thereafter from Kansas DWPT, they filled everything outline while I was on the phone with them. I am paying attention to the dates so that I don't miss out on getting a tag if I don't draw one.

Re: Kansas in September - 05/29/19 04:43 PM

I have never hunted Kansas, will the bucks still be in velvet in the last two weeks of September?
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Kansas in September - 05/29/19 08:47 PM

I have never hunted Kansas, will the bucks still be in velvet in the last two weeks of September?

Doubtful...I just went back and looked at pics from that timeframe. We have only had 2 bucks still in velvet in the last 7 years in that time frame and one was for sure a stag buck and we think the other was as well.

But fingers crossed you get a velvet buck.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Kansas in September - 06/10/19 04:30 AM

Three seasons ago I was dove hunting a few days middle to late September in western Kansas and every buck I jumped up looked to have hard antlers.

Re: Kansas in September - 07/03/19 07:16 PM

Just got my tags in the mail, excitement is really starting to set in.

Re: Kansas in September - 08/22/19 02:45 PM

Just got the email confirmation for the flight into Wichita, Kansas and also that Ill be landing the same time as Jackie Bushman, so we will be riding together out to the lodge. The hunt is going to be from 9/15-9/21.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Kansas in September - 08/22/19 08:25 PM

Are you losing sleep yet.... I know I would be. Look forward to the pics and adventure updates

Re: Kansas in September - 08/22/19 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
Are you losing sleep yet.... I know I would be. Look forward to the pics and adventure updates

I am not losing sleep yet................

Re: Kansas in September - 08/22/19 11:37 PM

Best of luck!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Kansas in September - 08/27/19 03:32 AM

Best of luck!

Re: Kansas in September - 08/28/19 11:43 AM

Just looked at the lunar calendar for the week I am there, Ill be getting to work with a full moon.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Kansas in September - 08/28/19 12:10 PM

Good luck up

Re: Kansas in September - 09/05/19 02:23 PM

Just got an email I'll be getting a pair of LaCrosse Windrose boots, however they are currently out of stock and will not have them in time for next week. I'm still waiting to hear if they will have a new contract signed with a clothing company in time. Their contract ended with Scent Lock last year.

Re: Kansas in September - 09/05/19 09:44 PM

The gift that keeps on giving. up

Re: Kansas in September - 09/11/19 04:17 PM

Since I’ll b me flying up I’ll be needing to ship all the meat back. From anyone’s previous experience is it better to ship the meat via UPS/FedEx or just check it for the airplane?

For taxidermy I’m gonna ask the outfitter who they recommend up there and check it out before making that decision on having it done at a place near me.

Re: Kansas in September - 09/16/19 03:20 PM

Only saw does this morning, they kill all their bucks in the evening during this time of year.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Kansas in September - 09/16/19 03:24 PM

Good luck! Looking forward to more reports and pics.

Re: Kansas in September - 09/16/19 05:44 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Kansas in September - 09/16/19 06:07 PM

cheers
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Kansas in September - 09/17/19 04:58 PM

well, how was the evening hunt?

Re: Kansas in September - 09/18/19 12:38 AM

cheers

Re: Kansas in September - 09/18/19 01:10 AM

popcorn

Re: Kansas in September - 09/18/19 12:58 PM

This bright moon, heat and winds have the deer all messed up. The morning hunts are pretty quiet, the evening hunts have way more activity. Still haven’t seen a buck worthy of putting the cross hairs on.

Re: Kansas in September - 09/19/19 02:51 AM

How much longer are you there?

Re: Kansas in September - 09/19/19 11:57 AM

Last hunt is Saturday evening, still a decent amount of time to get it done.
Posted By: gillom

Re: Kansas in September - 09/19/19 07:38 PM

Just got back from Kansas. SE near Eureka. Can confirm hot weather has mornings worthless. Deer are out of the fields by 530. Evenings are better but not great. My buddy arrowed a 150 opening evening at 615 sitting a trail entering a bean field.

Re: Kansas in September - 09/20/19 01:58 AM

Last hunt is Saturday evening, still a decent amount of time to get it done.

Yup. Kansas can go from nothing to tacos in no time. rifle banana2

Re: Kansas in September - 09/20/19 12:09 PM

Just a little muzzleloader discussion from yesterday.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Kansas in September - 09/20/19 01:15 PM

We're rootin for ya!

Re: Kansas in September - 09/23/19 03:19 PM

Well I didn't get to punch to tag on this trip but did learn a lot about Kansas. We had a lot going against us this year, all the rain they had late spring caused crops to go in late. So there was a lot of standing crops still that are usually cut by now. Then there was the full moon and warmer than usual temps with the winds out of the south the entire time. It was a lot of fun meeting new people and made some new friends. If everything works out it's looking like I will be back up there in December to punch my tag.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum