Texas Hunting Forum

First Hunt

Posted By: CarolinaBreed

First Hunt - 03/07/19 03:43 AM

I moved to San Antonio,Texas a few years ago and became interested in hunting. I took a hunter education course and now just need help deciding on all the gear to be a successful hunter. I own a R308 SPS Tactical but I don’t know if this rifle would be good for hunting. Also, how would I prepare for the off season? If anyone could help or give me advice for the right gear and great locations to hunt it would be highly appreciated too.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: First Hunt - 03/07/19 03:49 AM

You should get a shotgun and learn to hunt squirrels first.
Posted By: Stub

Re: First Hunt - 03/07/19 11:35 AM

First of all welcome 3 sets of good hunting boots. Snake Boots, tall cold weather boots and wet weather boots then you also need hiking shoes take care of your feet up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: First Hunt - 03/07/19 11:56 AM

What kind of hunting do you want to do? There are many choices here. The rifle you own would work fine for big game like hogs, deer, exotic animals and such. One of the most important first steps is plenty of time spent shooting and becoming proficient with it, and SAFE with it around you and others.

There are numerous state parks and WMAs around you that you can hunt and apply to be drawn to hunt. Cost is minimal for this option. Most of the state is private property and requires a trespass fee to be paid to access the land to hunt. You live in a great area that you could head out any direction from and not have to go far for whatever you are looking to hunt. Cost will be the determining factor.

YouTube is a great resource for education on whatever you want to hunt. Books and magazines as well. Learn all you can about the animals you want to hunt before you start hunting them. Much of what you learn will be from experience. The most important factors in success are shooting straight and understanding the animals habits and what they need....food, water and cover/shelter. Aside from your weapon and a good pair of binoculars, all other equipment is secondary. You can get lost in trying to decide what equipment to buy when your new to this sport.

Dig into all the sections of this site. There is a wealth of knowledge about equipment, methods etc....

Check out the outfitters and guides section. They have affordable hunts for hogs and exotics that can be hunted year round. They can help you learn as well.

welcome
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum