Texas Hunting Forum

Protein time- First visitor

Posted By: soonersorlaters

Protein time- First visitor - 02/26/19 01:01 AM

Protein Pen

First visitor at the newest pen. Finally found cotton seed to introduce this year as well. Curious to see how long it takes them to figure out it's edible.
Posted By: CGB

Re: Protein time- First visitor - 02/26/19 01:21 AM

Good video! What county? We’ve be feeding cottonseed for 3 years now in Schleicher co. They always start off slow on our place for some reason. They hit the protein faster. They seem to eat both better if we keep corn going.

Re: Protein time- First visitor - 02/26/19 02:10 AM

We're in Erath County, just north of Stephenville. Hoping they don't ignore it in lieu of the protein. Would be nice to get the nutrient value from the pellets and supplement some of the fat/protein content with cottonseed. We will see.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Protein time- First visitor - 02/26/19 02:59 AM

Cool vid.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Protein time- First visitor - 02/26/19 04:59 PM

That is a cool vid.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Protein time- First visitor - 02/28/19 01:54 PM

That's a good setup, they should fall in for that quickly
Posted By: woolybooger

Re: Protein time- First visitor - 03/09/19 06:36 PM

Very nice. What kind of protein do you use? I've never fed with protein but I'd like to start. I'm just north of you in Palo Pinto.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Protein time- First visitor - 03/10/19 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by woolybooger
Very nice. What kind of protein do you use? I've never fed with protein but I'd like to start. I'm just north of you in Palo Pinto.

FYI I am up by Murray in SW Young county and my deer absolutely hammer the FMC( Farmers Milling) in Graham 20% pellet. Started them on it years ago but mixing 1/3 corn in with it. Emptied it once and then went straight 20%. They love it.

Re: Protein time- First visitor - 03/20/19 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by woolybooger

We are using a feed created by the nutritionist at Red Chain Feeds in Gorman. They have another location that opened in Stephenville last year. They have 3 versions that vary in in protein % and trace minerals. We use the Buck Creek pellet. It's @ $10 per 50lb bag. You can only get the whole cottonseed at the Gorman location (bulk only, not bagged).
Red Chain Feeds You can talk to the nutritionist, Cary ZIpp. He was very informative on the topic. Old process peanut meal is the primary ingredient. I haven't tried it but it sure smells good. smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum