Texas Hunting Forum

Alfalfa?

Posted By: DH3

Alfalfa? - 02/17/19 02:24 AM

Anyone use alfalfa slabs and pellets to attract deer?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/17/19 02:42 AM

I tried slabs in OK once, didn't work for me, at that place.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/17/19 10:00 AM

No idea whether it works but it sure draws nocturnal hogs.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/17/19 02:16 PM

We've put out alfalfa in spring to attract deer for shed gathering, took them a while to learn but eventually they took to it and fed on it. Takes a while if there is no ag in the area it seems, they just aren't used to it.
Elk used it right off the bat.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/17/19 04:12 PM

I’ve tried it, didn’t seem to work but was so wet and so much to eat wasn’t a good time to try. I bet if conditions were right deer would come to it.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/17/19 04:24 PM

Our deer love it.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/17/19 04:29 PM

A lot depends on location and amount of rainfall you get. The farther west/northwest from San Antonio you go out HWY 90 and then up into Trans Pecos region the easier it is to get deer to eat baled alfalfa. It is much easier to get mule deer and axis to eat it much faster than for whitetails. In drought conditions it is much easier to get them to eat or late winter when we are in the worst conditions for the year.
Posted By: eneat1119

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/18/19 12:27 PM

Down in Pecos county along the Pecos River they love it. Draws in both WT and Axis.
Posted By: don k

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/18/19 12:58 PM

Ranchman said it right. Around here it depends on the range conditions. If it is dry they will tear it up. Good conditions and only the Axis will hit it.
Posted By: CB09

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/18/19 01:57 PM

We use it an Val Verde county with good success. Both Whitetail and Axis love it really no matter the season and we put it out year round.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/18/19 02:20 PM

Been putting Alfalfa out for many years deer tear it up, turned a few people on here to it and they have gotten the same results up
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/18/19 05:05 PM

Real good food source for places that don't have any natural groceries. I put a couple round bales on my northern Minnesota farm 2 years ago and the deer/turkey/birds hammered it. If I put it on my Missouri, Kansas or Oklahoma farms, it wouldn't be touched.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/18/19 05:11 PM

I tried it and the hogs appreciated it.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/18/19 07:39 PM

I found some fresh NM alfalfa on the side of the road a few years back, figured what the heck. I bought about 4 bails and put out two bails on one ranch and the other 2 on another ranch about 20 miles away (both central Texas) in the area where I had corn feeders. Nothing touched the alfalfa other than on one ranch, the fire ants took over both bails. Had pictures of deer and hogs walk past it to get to the feeders, but never touched the bails. My BIL puts it out in pens built out of cattle panels up in the panhandle and the mulies hammer it but not so much on the whitetails.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/19/19 12:49 AM

Pronghorn, Deer and elk love it, except when you can actually legally defend it during hunting season.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Alfalfa? - 02/20/19 04:02 PM

Our deer thrive on it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum