Texas Hunting Forum

CWD in people?

Posted By: Texas buckeye

CWD in people? - 02/13/19 10:06 PM

Apparently some folks from University of Minnesota have stated it is very likely CWD will be transmitted to people, many, by eating contaminated meat.

"If Stephen King could write an infectious disease novel, it would be about prions like this"

Seriously, can we get more alarmist?

There has not been one case of CWD that presented in a human and not one case of mad cow that transmitted to a human. Silly UoM folks want their 5 minutes of news
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: CWD in people? - 02/13/19 10:18 PM

I’m not going to get all off into the fray, as I’m not a prion disease scientist, and most would not change their opinions re:the risk of CWD if the Good Lord Himself came down and spoke about it.

It’s become the “Climate Change” debate among deer hunters.

IDK the answers, or the true risks. But neither do all the CWD deniers. “Outdoor Life” just ran an article on the subject in this month’s issue.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: CWD in people? - 02/13/19 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Apparently some folks from University of Minnesota have stated it is very likely CWD will be transmitted to people, many, by eating contaminated meat.

"If Stephen King could write an infectious disease novel, it would be about prions like this"

Seriously, can we get more alarmist?

There has not been one case of CWD that presented in a human and not one case of mad cow that transmitted to a human. Silly UoM folks want their 5 minutes of news

They are trolling for funding.......they understand that we have a large swath of our population now that is easy to manipulate by pushing their emotional buttons........people that never logically think about facts like they have a much greater chance of dying each time they start their vehicle and put in it drive...............I'm sure flounder will be along soon to cut and paste the end of days....

Re: CWD in people? - 02/13/19 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
I’m not going to get all off into the fray, as I’m not a prion disease scientist, and most would not change their opinions re:the risk of CWD if the Good Lord Himself came down and spoke about it.

IDK the answers, or the true risks. But neither do all the CWD deniers. “Outdoor Life” just ran an article on the subject in this month’s issue.

[Linked Image]

This sadly seems to be the trend in media now.......let's scare our customers into subscribing or tuning in. I think your description of "climate change" debate among deer hunters is pretty accurate.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: CWD in people? - 02/13/19 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

[Linked Image]

This sadly seems to be the trend in media now.......let's scare our customers into subscribing or tuning in. I think your description of "climate change" debate among deer hunters is pretty accurate.

Agree. Saw a sidebar on CNN today. Something to the effect of "Zombie Deer Could Infect Humans". There's an obvious underground pushing misinformation. Why or who? PETA would be my best guess. Coming at it from another angle. How anyone could be so misguided is beyond me.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: CWD in people? - 02/13/19 10:47 PM

CWD exists no denying it, but there is no proof(facts)in 50 plus years of any population extinction or consumption based transfered to humans. In the end there are multiple different prions that effect every species of animal in the world, including fish....therefore if you are worried about CWD then it’s best to become vegan. With one exception to veganism, it’s been said that prions Can be excreted and its been hypothesized that if my food poops on vegan food, vegans are screwed also.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/13/19 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman

[Linked Image]

Agree. Saw a sidebar on CNN today. Something to the effect of "Zombie Deer Could Infect Humans". There's an obvious underground pushing misinformation. Why or who? PETA would be my best guess. Coming at it from another angle. How anyone could be so misguided is beyond me.

The exact headline I clicked on from Foxnews.

There are some funny videos out there that imply the news is fed to the major agencies via one source, as all the headlines and specifically what the news anchors say is all the same...this is an example of such an incident. Zombie deer could infect humans...let me see if I can find those videos

Re: CWD in people? - 02/13/19 11:01 PM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...E89E716DBA4D7DB0D46&&FORM=VDRVRV

Re: CWD in people? - 02/13/19 11:07 PM

....the absurdity of it all..........great example of big brother media all on the same script

Re: CWD in people? - 02/13/19 11:11 PM

98% of “news” is sensationalized to get clicks and eyeballs these days that's for sure.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: CWD in people? - 02/14/19 12:17 AM

I haven't read the latest article but an earlier article quoted Dr. Michael Osterholm. Dr. Osterholm's position is that because it happened once it can happen again. The problem with that position it that it ignores the unique set of circumstances that caused scrapie to jump the interspecies barrier from sheep to cattle becoming bovine spongiform encephalopathy which jumped the interspecies barrier to people. The rendering of scrapie diseased sheep into protein supplements fed to cattle resulted in repeated exposure that eventually allowed a mutated form to jump the barrier. The chances of something similar happening with CWD are tiny. The existence of that chance is why it's not a good idea to consume CWD infected deer but if you happen to have done it there's no big danger.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: CWD in people? - 02/14/19 10:25 PM

My advice is to avoid eating raw deer brains.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: CWD in people? - 02/14/19 10:34 PM

Got to love “scientist” that use the terms “could possibly”. Shame all the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on this disease only got them, maybe, one day, could possibly, if we hold our mouths just right we might have this spread to humans.

Here’s a head line one day the sun could possibly explode!!!! Spread the word!
Posted By: Grizz

Re: CWD in people? - 02/15/19 03:36 AM

[Linked Image]

Yep, just like the media in all other areas it's not about facts or what's right or wrong anymore with the media.
I'm willing to acknowledge that I don't have all of the answers. Even though I don't believe there are any documented cases of a human contracting CWD, there is one thing that makes me entertain the possibility. How many people contracted and died of things like AIDS for years before scientists figured out what it was and how they got it? I'm definitely not in the flounder/chicken little camp and I'm going to continue to eat the deer I kill, but I'm open to any new legitimate evidence that may come up.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: CWD in people? - 02/15/19 04:00 AM

It is amazing the things that can be affected because of speculation by those with no facts.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: CWD in people? - 02/15/19 05:50 AM

Millions of deer are killed and eaten every year across the US... Romaine lettuce kills more people than folks eating deer.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: CWD in people? - 02/15/19 11:29 AM

It has become a very big money grab for researchers, they must find something to continue their funding grants. I have a family member that retired over this. The gov't wanted him to basically falsify documents showing cwd as dangerous to which he was unwilling. Says it has been around since the beginning and they just happen to have the technology to find things that weren't available in the past. Wildlife management across the west freaked out that they would lose their hunters $ if this leaked out so they attempted to fix what wasn't broken to avoid the appending doom that wasn't coming.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: CWD in people? - 02/15/19 12:47 PM

Fake news
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: CWD in people? - 02/15/19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
Millions of deer are killed and eaten every year across the US... Romaine lettuce kills more people than folks eating deer.

BINGO....

Just like when the news media prefaces their story with...If true, xxxxxx...

Tells you to completely ignore everything else they have to say...........
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: CWD in people? - 02/16/19 12:57 AM

Everybody that eats deer meat will eventually die, you might as well enjoy it. up
Posted By: MClark

Re: CWD in people? - 02/16/19 02:51 AM

There is a prion disease in people, Kuru.
New Guinea cannibals get it.
Don't be a cannibal, it is frowned upon in most cultures.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001379.htm
Posted By: diablodog

Re: CWD in people? - 02/16/19 03:22 AM

I think it is a very real threat . It has infected millions . It just eats away at their brains until they become liberals .
Posted By: Wytex

Re: CWD in people? - 02/16/19 04:09 PM

Well the Yellowstone super volcano may kill us all when it wipes out Wyoming with an eruption, I worry about that more than getting CWD, lol.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: CWD in people? - 02/16/19 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
My advice is to avoid eating raw deer brains.

I promise i'll quit...
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: CWD in people? - 02/16/19 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by diablodog
I think it is a very real threat . It has infected millions . It just eats away at their brains until they become liberals .

Lol no joke
Posted By: JKW

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 02:18 AM

Serious question: If there's nothing to worry about, will you eat deer that test positive for CWD?

If so, I can set you up with a steady stream of free deer meat. It's easy to talk tough and blow it off if it isn't in your area, but when your family eats multiple deer each year within a few miles of an outbreak it changes the narrative a little. The area I hunt most frequently has had nearly 200 deer test positive since December. I'm not panicking, but I'm also not eating any deer FROM THAT AREA without having it tested first. There's still much to be learned about prions, disease, transmission, mutation etc. Testing is free (for now). Why risk it?

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by JKW
Serious question: If there's nothing to worry about, will you eat deer that test positive for CWD?

If so, I can set you up with a steady stream of free deer meat. It's easy to talk tough and blow it off if it isn't in your area, but when your family eats multiple deer each year within a few miles of an outbreak it changes the narrative a little. The area I hunt most frequently has had nearly 200 deer test positive since December. I'm not panicking, but I'm also not eating any deer FROM THAT AREA without having it tested first. There's still much to be learned about prions, disease, transmission, mutation etc. Testing is free (for now). Why risk it?

Where in this thread did you read anything about intentionally eating meat that had a positive disease test of any kind?

Common sense isn’t common any more. This is a really stupid question that someone who has it wouldn’t ask.

So you equate not acting like chicken little to talking tough? hammer
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 02:28 PM

What is amusing is someone says they won't eat meat that has been tested positive, then what if your deer wasn't tested?
Does that mean you would give the deer to someone else if you didn't know for sure, or didn't get the meat tested, or better yet, throw it away?
My answer to "why risk it" would be that you need to take up another sport like golf.
Better wash your hands after a round, and leave your shoes outside.
Posted By: don k

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by JKW

Where do you hunt that has had 200 deer test positive since Dec? Must not be Texas.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by JKW

Where do you hunt that has had 200 deer test positive since Dec? Must not be Texas.

My question is why are you still hunting frequently for deer in an area with 200 deer testing positive, and what are you doing with the meat, if you are not eating it?
I would also like to know where that area is, and has it effected the lease prices yet?
One way to get rid of people you don't like I guess?
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 02:54 PM

That is funny!

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by JKW

My question is why are you still hunting frequently for deer in an area with 200 deer testing positive, and what are you doing with the meat, if you are not eating it?
I would also like to know where that area is, and has it effected the lease prices yet?
One way to get rid of people you don't like I guess?

This is in west TN. No one knows how it will affect lease prices yet as there have ZERO positive tests prior to this past season. I don't lease land since public hunting opportunities abound and I have permission to hunt some small farms-but I do watch closely. Any deer I kill INSIDE the five county CWD hotzone will be tested. If I happen to have any test positive I'll toss the meat or offer it up to someone who is more manly and less chicken than I am. With the three doe/day limit I won't starve even if one or two tests positive. Depending on how this develops between now and next year (the last 75 days have been a whirlwind, who knows what will happen before then) it will likely be business as normal in bordering counties.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 03:52 PM

What’s interesting is so many who LOL at the mere possibility of human contamination but then admit they would never knowingly eat CWD infected meat. You can’t poo-poo the possibility as fantasy yet then say prudence would dictate not eating it. If you’re cautious, you are admitting to the possibility. Period.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by JKW

Where in this thread did you read anything about intentionally eating meat that had a positive disease test of any kind?

Common sense isn’t common any more. This is a really stupid question that someone who has it wouldn’t ask.

Pitchfork, apparently this questions wasn't directed at you since you consider it common sense not to eat deer that have CWD. It wasn't a stupid question, it was an honest one. I bet you and I actually aren't far apart in our thinking concerning CWD except I suspect you may not hunt a deer herd where CWD is common. If that's the case, I hope you consider yourself fortunate as it seems to be becoming more and more common.

I hope it never firmly establishes in Texas. If nothing else, the attempts to slow the spreading will completely rock the Texas hunting culture. Imagine not being able to transport deer in between counties. Imagine not being able to supplent feed (gasp). Imagine not being able to bait (double gasp). Imagine the cross-contaminated meat where most hunters use common processors. Another honest question: have you personally had to deal with this disease or it's ramifications?

Insult my commons sense all you like, but I didn't give it as much thought myself before this disease began to affect my hunting personally.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 03:56 PM

What’s interesting is so many who LOL at the mere possibility of human contamination but then admit they would never knowingly eat CWD infected meat. You can’t poo-poo the possibility as fantasy yet then say prudence would dictate not eating it. If you’re cautious, you are admitting to the possibility. Period.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by JKW
Originally Posted by JKW

Pitchfork, apparently this questions wasn't directed at you since you consider it common sense not to eat deer that have CWD. It wasn't a stupid question, it was an honest one. I bet you and I actually aren't far apart in our thinking concerning CWD except I suspect you may not hunt a deer herd where CWD is common. If that's the case, I hope you consider yourself fortunate as it seems to be becoming more and more common.

I hope it never firmly establishes in Texas. If nothing else, the attempts to slow the spreading will completely rock the Texas hunting culture. Imagine not being able to transport deer in between counties. Imagine not being able to supplent feed (gasp). Imagine not being able to bait (double gasp). Imagine the cross-contaminated meat where most hunters use common processors. Another honest question: have you personally had to deal with this disease or it's ramifications?

Insult my commons sense all you like, but I didn't give it as much thought myself before this disease began to affect my hunting personally.

Again I will ask you where in this thread did someone post they would knowingly eat diseased meat?

To answer your question, yes there have been 2 live positive test not far from where I hunt, a mule deer and white tail.

But I still recognize the fact I have a much greater chance of dying from driving back and forth to hunt then being the first human to die of or be infected by CWD. I truly have not worried at all about it. As a matter of fact I am going to try to get Wytex to help me hunt the area of Wyoming they hunt in which is ground zero for CWD. Did you see the great bucks they took this year?

Please posts the facts pertaining to all the positive tests in your hunting area of Tennessee........

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
What is amusing is someone says they won't eat meat that has been tested positive, then what if your deer wasn't tested?
Does that mean you would give the deer to someone else if you didn't know for sure, or didn't get the meat tested, or better yet, throw it away?
My answer to "why risk it" would be that you need to take up another sport like golf.
Better wash your hands after a round, and leave your shoes outside.

Thank you for your input. I'll assume that you would be one of those who wouldn't concern themselves with eating animals with CWD. Although I have decided not to eat meat that tests positive (I will have deer killed inside a hot zone tested), I respect your opinion. I will deer hunt as long as there are deer in the woods and I can physically climb a tree, golf has no appeal to me.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by JKW

Do you have a link to show "nearly 200 deer" you are reporting? The only link I can find is a PDF showing around 140 or less as of 2/11/2019 out of several thousand tests. Are they still testing after the season since many of the test dates are after the season has ended?

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 04:37 PM

.....so do you order your meat diseased at the meat market so you can feel manly?

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by JKW
Originally Posted by JKW

Again I will ask you where in this thread did someone post they would knowingly eat diseased meat?

To answer your question, yes there have been 2 live positive test not far from where I hunt, a mule deer and white tail.

But I still recognize the fact I have a much greater chance of dying from driving back and forth to hunt then being the first human to die of or be infected by CWD. I truly have not worried at all about it. As a matter of fact I am going to try to get Wytex to help me hunt the area of Wyoming they hunt in which is ground zero for CWD. Did you see the great bucks they took this year?

Please posts the facts pertaining to all the positive tests in your hunting area of Tennessee........

PItchfork, I was asking an honest questions. If people were already stating that they would eat diseased meat (or wouldn't), obviously I wouldn't have had to ask.

I'm glad you're not worried about it. In the areas I hunt that aren't affected (Texas, Ohio, middle TN) I don't worry about it. I won't worry about testing if I'm out of an established hotzone. If the seven-county area doesn't expand any further, I'll only hunt one of those counties for sure and maybe a second. I'll test and hope nothing comes back positive. I'll hunt at least three bordering counties for sure, though and will continue to hunt and eat deer as normal until it changes.

Honest question: If you were hunting in an officially established and regulated hot zone, would you take advantage of free testing or consider it silly?

What facts are you looking for concerning the positive tests? It's developing rapidly and the last update I heard was early this month (168 since Dec 6) but still more tests results coming as the season was extended until Jan 31 for the original three counties. In my opinion TWRA has done a great job in managing this outbreak and attempting to slow it's progression.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by JKW

Do you have a link to show "nearly 200 deer" you are reporting? The only link I can find is a PDF showing around 140 or less as of 2/11/2019 out of several thousand tests. Are they still testing after the season since many of the test dates are after the season has ended?

That's a good question, stranchman. The season was extended until Jan 31 for three counties specifically to gain a larger testing sample. The last update I heard was 168, but I understand there are more results to come in as testing takes some time. They will still test deer after season as they have the last few years (road kill, etc), but at in increased rate since the positive tests have occurred. I hope there are zero more, but 168 was what I meant by "nearly 200" and unfortunately likely not the last before the results come in.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:22 PM

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/documents/cwd-results-2-11-19.pdf

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:31 PM

Thanks stxranchman. I saw some negative tests from 1/27 on the list, so hopefully the last few days of the season's harvest won't provide many more positives. I think that preliminary positives are retested for confirmation, so that might explain the last positives being 1/20 harvest unfortunately.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:32 PM

.....so do you order your meat diseased at the meat market so you can feel manly?

Total deflection-and a nonsensical one at that given that I have not said I dismissed the possibility, and I never said I would knowingly eat CWD infected meat.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:36 PM

I guess all those deer breeders in Tennessee will now get the blame for CWD they brought into the state...confused2...Oh, wait...deer ownership/breeding would be illegal in Tennessee. So I guess they could place the blame on the agencies who allowed elk nidea to be moved into and restocked into the state since elk are known carriers of CWD... peep

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:42 PM

I guess all those deer breeders in Tennessee will now get the blame for CWD they brought into the state...confused2...Oh, wait...deer ownership/breeding would be illegal in Tennessee. So I guess they could place the blame on the agencies who allowed elk nidea to be moved into and restocked into the state. peep

There are a couple of high-fenced operations near "ground zero," one of which is said to have possibly introduced genetics from up north. Just hearsay, however, and I highly doubt they're to blame even if it were true. I would imagine a captive herd would have had many positives if they were involved.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:43 PM

no Issues here with eating untested Venison, beef, Mutton/lamb, fish, birds etc.

Speaking of, either venison chops or lamb chops for dinner sure sounds good

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
no Issues here with eating untested Venison, beef, Mutton/lamb, fish, birds etc.

I just had some Trans Pecos mule deer backstrap for dinner today and supper last night. Ate mule deer ham steaks for 3 days in the last week also. I have killed and eaten 9 mule deer in the last 25 yrs from the Trans Pecos region and several more WT from that area and the Panhandle. I had a WT buck processed I killed in mid Jan in the lower part of the Panhandle that I will eat this year. Never had any of them tested. I would be more worried about eating a deer from an area that has Anthrax than CWD.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:53 PM

Total deflection-and a nonsensical one at that given that I have not said I dismissed the possibility, and I never said I would knowingly eat CWD infected meat.

Who are you insinuating did say it? Let’s see the quotes.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:55 PM

Everyone eats untested meat. That’s not the issue or question.

Where the rubber hits the road re:hypocrisy is whether those who claim there is zero possibility of human infection would knowingly eat CWD-infected meat.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:55 PM

I just had some Trans Pecos mule deer backstrap for dinner today and supper last night. Ate mule deer ham steaks for 3 days in the last week also. I have killed and eaten 9 mule deer in the last 25 yrs from the Trans Pecos region and several more WT from that area and the Panhandle. I had a WT buck processed I killed in mid Jan in the lower part of the Panhandle that I will eat this year. Never had any of them tested. I would be more worried about eating a deer from an area that has Anthrax than CWD.

No telling how much I have eaten after hunting CO for 30 years and my ranch being surrounded by positive tests for years.

Statistically I’m going to die from a car wreck with as many miles I put on a truck

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:57 PM

...... I love mine medium rare. cheers

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 05:57 PM

Who are you insinuating did say it? Let’s see the quotes.

I’m not here to get in a pi**ing match. Just making logical observations. Everyone can read the thread.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by JKW
I guess all those deer breeders in Tennessee will now get the blame for CWD they brought into the state...confused2...Oh, wait...deer ownership/breeding would be illegal in Tennessee. So I guess they could place the blame on the agencies who allowed elk nidea to be moved into and restocked into the state. peep

There are a couple of high-fenced operations near "ground zero," one of which is said to have possibly introduced genetics from up north. Just hearsay, however, and I highly doubt they're to blame even if it were true. I would imagine a captive herd would have had many positives if they were involved.

Nice backdoor jab at HF and captive herds with "hearsay". Nothing like starting rumors or stretching the facts to make a point...like "almost 200". I would think the state agency that allowed the elk to be brought into Tennessee should be in that talk about "introduced genetics". Elk seem to be the common theme when CWD is found in new areas. It was found in free ranging herd of Mule Deer in West Texas(close to NM) first where they have elk and the man who had the breeding facility in the Hill Country who it was found first in captive herds had elk also. Panhandle of Texas has CWD in free ranging herds and they have had free ranging elk there for a while now also. Where I hunted in western Kansas they have had CWD and they have elk move in from Colorado. Western Oklahoma and Nebraska would have similar CWD.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 06:02 PM

Where the rubber hits the road re:hypocrisy is whether those who claim there is zero possibility of human infection would knowingly eat CWD-infected meat.

Ok I guess I missed it, who said it was impossible and that they would knowingly eat diseased meat? It’s obvious from your post you were insinuating someone had.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 06:13 PM

[/quote]
Nice backdoor jab at HF and captive herds with "hearsay". Nothing like starting rumors or stretching the facts to make a point...like "almost 200". I would think the state agency that allowed the elk to be brought into Tennessee should be in that talk about "introduced genetics". Elk seem to be the common theme when CWD is found in new areas. It was found in free ranging herd of Mule Deer in West Texas(close to NM) first where they have elk and the man who had the breeding facility in the Hill Country who it was found first in captive herds had elk also. Panhandle of Texas has CWD in free ranging herds and they have had free ranging elk there for a while now also. Where I hunted in western Kansas they have had CWD and they have elk move in from Colorado. Western Oklahoma and Nebraska would have similar CWD.[/quote]

Seriously? No back door jab intended, please accept my apology for offending you or anyone who interpreted it that way. You brought deer farms into this. It's definitely not my thing, but to each his own. Like I said, I was very clear that I doubt this played a role in it.

If you really feel elk are a likely possibility the only elk in that part of the state are in captive herd farms. Do you think elk may be a factor? I think the most likely scenario is unintentional carcass transmission from a whitetail in an infected area, but that's only my opinion.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by JKW

Nice backdoor jab at HF and captive herds with "hearsay". Nothing like starting rumors or stretching the facts to make a point...like "almost 200". I would think the state agency that allowed the elk to be brought into Tennessee should be in that talk about "introduced genetics". Elk seem to be the common theme when CWD is found in new areas. It was found in free ranging herd of Mule Deer in West Texas(close to NM) first where they have elk and the man who had the breeding facility in the Hill Country who it was found first in captive herds had elk also. Panhandle of Texas has CWD in free ranging herds and they have had free ranging elk there for a while now also. Where I hunted in western Kansas they have had CWD and they have elk move in from Colorado. Western Oklahoma and Nebraska would have similar CWD.

Originally Posted by JKW

Seriously? No back door jab intended, please accept my apology for offending you or anyone who interpreted it that way. You brought deer farms into this. It's definitely not my thing, but to each his own. Like I said, I was very clear that I doubt this played a role in it.

If you really feel elk are a likely possibility the only elk in that part of the state are in captive herd farms. Do you think elk may be a factor? I think the most likely scenario is unintentional carcass transmission from a whitetail in an infected area, but that's only my opinion.

Seriously. I made the first statement about the blame and deer breeding not being allowed in Tennessee. You had to bring up hearsay about a couple of HF and "possibly introduced genetics from up north". Seriously you stated that, then wanted to play it off is not important after you causally mentioned it was "hearsay". You still made that statement.
Like you I am not a deer breeder nor a HF ranch owner. I am hunter. I have no problem with those that want them and have them either. What I do have a problem with is when someone is stretching the facts or using hearsay to make up a case is becoming far more common with CWD and other diseases it seems nowadays. The disease(s) alone are serious and do not need embellishments of facts.
I really think that elk will be the carrier of it and spreading it into new areas. As far as I know elk are not being tested as heavily like MD or WT. Why not? State agencies moved them and restocked them into states where the elk used to be. Those stockings were done before all the CWD testing was started. I think the Texas borders were open to moving in live elk for a while after CWD had been found in West Texas and in other area of the state later. I am not sure when (or if) they closed to the borders to live elk being moved into the state by ranches and breeders. Same would be for Red Deer or Sika in Texas. They all roam much great areas than whitetail deer do. They have been moved all over the US by ranchers and breeders for years.
Are Tennessee, Kentucky, Pennsylvania or Virginia testing elk for CWD?

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 06:34 PM

Ok I guess I missed it, who said it was impossible and that they would knowingly eat diseased meat? It’s obvious from your post you were insinuating someone had.

For the last time, everyone can read the thread. I have not called anyone out by name and will not do so now. The OP and most of the whole first page was nothing but laughter and/or incredulity at the very suggestion. I’m sure some would like me to quote them so that they can say “That’s not what I meant”, but it ain’t gonna happen.

Of course no one has said they would knowingly eat diseased meat. That’s kinda the point.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JKW

Originally Posted by JKW

Seriously. I made the first statement about deer breeding not being allowed in Tennessee. You had to bring up hearsay about a couple of HF and "possibly introduced genetics from up north". Seriously you stated that, then wanted to play it off is not important after you causally mentioned it was "hearsay". You still made that statement.
I am not a deer breeder nor a HF ranch owner. I have no problem with those that want them and have them either. What I do have a problem with is when someone is stretching the facts or using hearsay to make up a case is becoming far more common with CWD and other diseases it seems nowadays. The disease(s) alone are serious and do not need embellishments of facts.

All the more reason I'm very confused on why you would bring these issues into the conversation. Oh well, right over my head. No worries, we can move on. I retract my statement about the captive herds in the area not being to blame if that helps.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 07:53 PM

For the last time, everyone can read the thread. I have not called anyone out by name and will not do so now. The OP and most of the whole first page was nothing but laughter and/or incredulity at the very suggestion. I’m sure some would like me to quote them so that they can say “That’s not what I meant”, but it ain’t gonna happen.

Of course no one has said they would knowingly eat diseased meat. That’s kinda the point.

My intent of the post was to bring to light what is being said in other states and how this may impact our sport. I don’t think this is ever going to be an issue as far as I know there has never been a case of prion disease passing from an animal to a human in cooked meat. Mad cow disease was a huge issue until it wasn’t. CWD is an issue but I don’t believe it’s an issue of concern for most in transmission of prion to humans, more so just to protect the deer herd. This was the first time I had heard or seen written about concern of CWD causing disease in humans, so I thought it was laughable and interesting all the same. The sensationalistic news made this a story, a story that hasn’t been a story for the last many decades deer hunters/breeders/biologists have known about CWD.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 08:08 PM

Approximately every 20 minutes, an alcohol-impaired driver kills or injures someone in a Texas DUI crash, everyone of us gets in a car every day.... statistically and all,

yet we hypothesis over if we would or wouldn’t eat something because of something that has never happened.

Ironic

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 09:24 PM

Exactly my point. These researchers were essentially calling it “World war Z” over something that has not ever happened in decades. Seemed a little farcical to say the least.

Would I eat meat from a know. CWD infected deer? No. But I would not eat
Meat from a deer infected with any disease, so it’s kind of a silly question to ask who would eat it...

Re: CWD in people? - 02/17/19 10:58 PM

It seems after this discussion that the vast majority of hunters here are actually on the same page. 1. not alarmed enough to quit or change their hunting 2. concerned enough that they wouldn't eat meat from animals with CWD. YMMV smile
Posted By: Wheelin' Outdoorsman

Re: CWD in people? - 02/18/19 05:09 AM

I don't think that anyone has any of the answers for what may be possible in the future. Disease, bacteria, and viruses are Mother Nature's ultimate example of the existence of evolution and the great population equalizer. The sad truth is we can't trust what we hear and we can't have open and well informed discussions about any topic any more. Too many people are too lazy to formulate their own opinions based on the available facts and the "facts" they use come from sensationalized snip-its from unreliable sources.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/18/19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JKW
It seems after this discussion that the vast majority of hunters here are actually on the same page. 1. not alarmed enough to quit or change their hunting 2. concerned enough that they wouldn't eat meat from animals with CWD. YMMV smile

Are you concerned enough to test any meat(ungulate, poultry, or fish) you eat? If you are worried about CWD, then it should also go full spectrum. I am not one that cares.

But then again statistically I should of died along time ago if I was going to die when compared to CWD transmission (mountain climbing, skydiving,backcountry sking including heli, pilot licenses and glider time, drive more then 30k miles a year, over my BMI, collegiate sports, hunt mountains and wilderness, off shore fishing.)

But then again you have a high probability of dieing from not getting enough sleep or setting at a desk then CWD transmission

Re: CWD in people? - 02/18/19 04:54 PM

I liken it to Mad Cow. There were actually a few people in Great Britain back in the 90s who contracted a rare variant of Mad Cow from eating diseased beef. It was only a few, was very localized, and has not happened before or since. There’s been a lot of beef consumed all over the world for over 20 years with no other issues.

I suspect CWD will never be an issue for humans either by analogy to Mad Cow.

But, like all diseases, even the very remote possibilities are still concerning because of effects that could be wrought in the event a mutation of the disease allowed it to become transferable. So while no panic is in order, it does bear watching and further study. To deflect and/or go in “ostrich mode” just because it involves deer and deer hunting is kinda 1990s at this stage of the game.

But right now CWD is still just a deer issue.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: CWD in people? - 02/18/19 07:46 PM

Maybe "nearly 200" deer have tested positive in your area because you have an deer density problem...."3 doe/day limit".

Re: CWD in people? - 02/18/19 08:19 PM

I liken it to Mad Cow. There were actually a few people in Great Britain back in the 90s who contracted a rare variant of Mad Cow from eating diseased beef. It was only a few, was very localized, and has not happened before or since. There’s been a lot of beef consumed all over the world for over 20 years with no other issues.

I suspect CWD will never be an issue for humans either by analogy to Mad Cow.

But, like all diseases, even the very remote possibilities are still concerning because of effects that could be wrought in the event a mutation of the disease allowed it to become transferable. So while no panic is in order, it does bear watching and further study. To deflect and/or go in “ostrich mode” just because it involves deer and deer hunting is kinda 1990s at this stage of the game.

But right now CWD is still just a deer issue.

I concur. I haven't noticed hunters sticking their head in the sand about it. I have noticed a push back to those that "don't let a good crisis go to waste". The push back comes when this is blown up to be a crisis that really isn't speaking for myself.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/18/19 08:31 PM

As a “deflecting ostrich” Im only intested in scientific truths and at least a minute statical probablity, not fear based off the statical anomaly of a mutation. If you want to talk about risky behavior, let’s talk about something that can actually harm you....statistically and such, like drunk drivers/texters, prolonged sitting in desk chairs, ladders, firearm accidents etc

The most interesting thing about mad cow was the research and results that kicked into high gear due to it, specifically in regards to CWD and Scrapies. The outcome of that research and continued research still stands, CWD and Scrapies are non-transferable to humans through consumption of meat, regardless of genotypes of the human.

If you want to lesson your chances of contracting CWD, by testing then by all means do so, just remember also test all cattle meat you eat since there has actually been mad cow transfer to an American, there for you have a higher probability of catching mad cow.

Hindsight I guess I’m not a deflecting ostrich since i’m aware of the actual lack of risk

Re: CWD in people? - 02/18/19 09:31 PM

Personally I am going to be on the look out for the rabid text-driver who is more likely to cause an accident than the rare native infected CWD positive deer that I might consume drink7

Re: CWD in people? - 02/18/19 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Maybe "nearly 200" deer have tested positive in your area because you have an deer density problem...."3 doe/day limit".

Deer density probably ranges from 20-30 deer/square mile in the area (maybe some outliers around 40)-less over the last several years. TWRA has made it a goal over the last 10-15 years to keep the population density under carrying capacity and it's worked in a lot of areas. Just like in Texas, however, it's hard to get most hunters to kill does and buck harvest remains higher than doe in probably 75% of the Unit L counties.

Although the disease has just now been detected, it's obviously been in the area a while and simply escaped the random testing throughout the state until December. Most hunters have been reporting a SIGNIFICANT population drop over the last several years, but it's hard to quantify based on hunter observation. I'm of the mind that a herd under carrying capacity is generally healthier and could play a factor in how quickly the disease spreads. There is an intensely managed 18,000 acre hunting club that has been hit very hard with SEVERAL positive tests. Over the last 15 years they have lowered the density significantly but seem to be in the middle of the outbreak, so maybe density isn't as big of a factor as I think.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/18/19 10:46 PM

Personally I am going to be on the look out for the rabid text-driver who is more likely to cause an accident than the rare native infected CWD positive deer that I might consume drink7

Sadly it’s become so common most us of know someone or know of someone killed by texting.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/18/19 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by JKW

Are you concerned enough to test any meat(ungulate, poultry, or fish) you eat? If you are worried about CWD, then it should also go full spectrum. I am not one that cares.

But then again statistically I should of died along time ago if I was going to die when compared to CWD transmission (mountain climbing, skydiving,backcountry sking including heli, pilot licenses and glider time, drive more then 30k miles a year, over my BMI, collegiate sports, hunt mountains and wilderness, off shore fishing.)

But then again you have a high probability of dieing from not getting enough sleep or setting at a desk then CWD transmission

BOBO, I'll summarize what I've already said for you: If I kill a deer in an established, regulated CWD hotzone (in this case a seven-county area) I will have it tested (certain days it's mandatory, anyway). The deer I kill in bordering counties I won't, but will watch closely. The deer I kill in middle TN, Ohio, or Texas will not be tested.

If you feel it's silly to have a deer tested for CWD that is in an established hot zone, that's about the only point we differ. I agree, I'm much more likely to be killed driving 1250 miles to hunting ground (or in this case 700 to hot zone) than I am getting sick from a deer, but it suddenly becomes more real when you're actually hunting where the disease is known to be. It's kind of like switching from sitting in my driveway in my truck to driving 75 MPH-neither is likely to hurt you but one will have give you more concern.

I've been a firefighter for 26 years (23 as a career), so I'm no stranger to calculating risk. I regularly drive up to 1250 miles to hunt (I agree, more dangerous than hunting) but I wear my seatbelt and try to keep tread on my tires. I normally hunt between 30-40' in trees, but I wear a harness. I kill most of my deer with smokeless muzzleloaders, but I use a witness mark to make sure I don't blow a hand off. None of these are crazy, I just happen to consider eating CWD infected meat an unnecessary risk.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by JKW
Originally Posted by JKW

BOBO, I'll summarize what I've already said for you: If I kill a deer in an established, regulated CWD hotzone (in this case a seven-county area) I will have it tested (certain days it's mandatory, anyway). The deer I kill in bordering counties I won't, but will watch closely. The deer I kill in middle TN, Ohio, or Texas will not be tested.

If you feel it's silly to have a deer tested for CWD that is in an established hot zone, that's about the only point we differ. I agree, I'm much more likely to be killed driving 1250 miles to hunting ground (or in this case 700 to hot zone) than I am getting sick from a deer, but it suddenly becomes more real when you're actually hunting where the disease is known to be. It's kind of like switching from sitting in my driveway in my truck to driving 75 MPH-neither is likely to hurt you but one will have give you more concern.

I've been a firefighter for 26 years (23 as a career), so I'm no stranger to calculating risk. I regularly drive up to 1250 miles to hunt (I agree, more dangerous than hunting) but I wear my seatbelt and try to keep tread on my tires. I normally hunt between 30-40' in trees, but I wear a harness. I kill most of my deer with smokeless muzzleloaders, but I use a witness mark to make sure I don't blow a hand off. None of these are crazy, I just happen to consider eating CWD infected meat an unnecessary risk.

I have no issue with risk management or reduction, I have no problem with people testing deer. It is extremely weird to me when people will fear and preach doomsday about a risk that’s never actually happened, and been proven to not of happened, yet ignore and not reduce one that’s more or most likely to happen.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 01:30 PM

You guys need to look up Big Buck Registry "A Cure In the Crosshairs - CWD Conference - Prions Not the Cause, Just a Byproduct"

It's a video out of Pennsylvania discussing the true cause of CWD, a bacteria called spiroplasma, and cures and treatments for same. Apparently a Dr. Bastian at LSU has identified the true cause of CWD and it's treatable/curable. I would post a link to the video but don't know how. It's on Facebook.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
You guys need to look up Big Buck Registry "A Cure In the Crosshairs - CWD Conference - Prions Not the Cause, Just a Byproduct"

It's a video out of Pennsylvania discussing the true cause of CWD, a bacteria called spiroplasma, and cures and treatments for same. Apparently a Dr. Bastian at LSU has identified the true cause of CWD and it's treatable/curable. I would post a link to the video but don't know how. It's on Facebook.

It hasn’t been replicated yet , but I hope it does!!! Will fix more then CWD

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 03:58 PM

My spouse does some work in the Vet Lab where Wyoming does the CWD testing.I have questions to the researchers and scientist there about this new cause they found. We'll see what they say.

All of you saying no one would eat a positive animal is wrong, folks up here are and will eat their positive animals unless they look infected.
I have NO doubt I have eaten a positive animals and have no concerns about getting CWD.
The folks at the lab don't even get their animals tested unless a study is ongoing in their harvest area.

We had our first animals tested this past fall for CWD, been hunting Wyoming for 31 years, all were negative in an area that is very prevalent. It's been here for ever, recognized in the 60's. How many decades does it take for a human case, well so far in 50 years we don't have one yet. Not even one case of Variant CJD in Wyoming and we are ground zero for CWD.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 04:40 PM

Wytex, what is the prevalence rate in the areas of Wyoming that have been hit hard? Did it seem to balance out or decrease over time? It seems that the prevalence rate in the outbreak area of Tennessee is in the neighborhood of 10% right now but I've heard that areas have seen rates as high as 30%.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. It's new to most of us.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 05:13 PM

The areas we hunt are about 20%+. We took 4 deer off the property this year and not one was positive.
Data shows older age class bucks are more prevalent but they are mainly testing buck deer, doe harvest is very minimal in these areas.
Deer herds are stable, elk are still way over population objectives.
Our bucks harvested this past fall were 4.5, 5.5, 5.5 and 6.5 yrs old. Some of the younger bucks taken as of late.
Last few years our harvests have probably averaged 6.6 yrs or older.

The more they test your deer the more they will find. It has been around a long time.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 05:17 PM

the future, check stations you will have to get your deer tested

TPW will hire more officers, or all processors will be required to test all deer brought in.

mad deer disease

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
The areas we hunt are about 20%+. We took 4 deer off the property this year and not one was positive.
Data shows older age class bucks are more prevalent but they are mainly testing buck deer, doe harvest is very minimal in these areas.
Our bucks harvested this past fall were 4.5, 5.5, 5.5 and 6.5 yrs old. Some of the younger bucks taken as of late.

The more they test your deer the more they will find. It has been around a long time.

Just like a lot of human diseases that we are just being able to name or diagnose more accurately. I liken CWD and the concerns to the autism and vaccines thing. Autism has been a round a long time and probably hasn't seen a real increase in as much as an increase in folks testing/seeking treatment and our ability to quantify the spectrum, yet the thing gets blown way out of proportion due to a faulty research paper and some celebrities that think they know more than they do.

I said earlier I would not eat meat from a diseased deer, but how many deer are carriers for disease we never physically see? I am not testing any of my kills for any disease, and if the deer is sickly looking I just won't eat it. Easy. I suppose even if I was in an endemic area, I would not test every deer just because I wanted to be ultra-safe, but if I suspected a deer to have CWD I just wouldn't eat it.

As I type this though, I wonder if this will play a little into "wanton waste of game animals"....could it get to a point where animals are harvested (for antlers) and then left to lay due to "that deer had CWD or looked like it did" and the hunting community gets OK with that concept? We are certainly a long way away from that, but slippery slope is possible.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 06:19 PM

Thanks, wytex. I'm hoping the situation stabilizes here soon as it seems to have there.

I'm hoping to draw in elk tag in either 56 or 59 this year. I've heard no mention of concern so my plan is proceed as normal unless I hear otherwise. I'm accustomed to the headaches that efforts to limit spread by carcass transportation bring, but I understand not wanting to spread it to new areas if possible. The shank is my favorite cut on a deer and it's disappointing to leave them behind, although I do eat as many as I can in camp. I can't give them away, I've tried.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
the future, check stations you will have to get your deer tested

TPW will hire more officers, or all processors will be required to test all deer brought in.

mad deer disease

Not enough funding(testing and personal), Oklahoma did away with them except for Antelope and Bear.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 06:27 PM

Just like a lot of human diseases that we are just being able to name or diagnose more accurately. I liken CWD and the concerns to the autism and vaccines thing. Autism has been a round a long time and probably hasn't seen a real increase in as much as an increase in folks testing/seeking treatment and our ability to quantify the spectrum, yet the thing gets blown way out of proportion due to a faulty research paper and some celebrities that think they know more than they do.

I said earlier I would not eat meat from a diseased deer, but how many deer are carriers for disease we never physically see? I am not testing any of my kills for any disease, and if the deer is sickly looking I just won't eat it. Easy. I suppose even if I was in an endemic area, I would not test every deer just because I wanted to be ultra-safe, but if I suspected a deer to have CWD I just wouldn't eat it.

As I type this though, I wonder if this will play a little into "wanton waste of game animals"....could it get to a point where animals are harvested (for antlers) and then left to lay due to "that deer had CWD or looked like it did" and the hunting community gets OK with that concept? We are certainly a long way away from that, but slippery slope is possible.

I suspect you're right and the majority aren't seen. Of the positive tests in TN this year I'm not aware of any killed that were symptomatic.

The implications go well beyond wanton waste issues, or will if Texas is ever hit really hard. If the management plan is anything like other states boning deer out in camp will need to become the norm to keep from transporting spinal parts. Common processors will suddenly lose a lot of business. Supplemental feeding and baiting are usually the first to go-these will have an especially noticeable impact on Texas. The herd demographic normally most affected is mature bucks, this is a very important part of Texas' hunting culture and even economy. Will people pay several thousand for a lease they can't feed/bait and where bucks rarely make it to maturity? I doubt for very long.
Posted By: BubRay

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 11:13 PM

Had this sent to me today. Thought I would pass it along and open up a thread for response.

https://ljsp.lwcdn.com/api/video/em...l7TnJwJKXq2ZePKCz2nOPbMYcydVHtlCrcrtm84I
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 11:31 PM

POF and too much sex. Yes its real!! Run man run. Them Beees just want your money and to toy with you anyways. Good luck. Aint none worthit

Re: CWD in people? - 02/19/19 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by BubRay
Had this sent to me today. Thought I would pass it along and open up a thread for response.

https://ljsp.lwcdn.com/api/video/em...l7TnJwJKXq2ZePKCz2nOPbMYcydVHtlCrcrtm84I

I hope this is true. I don't believe the doom and gloom they want to paint with their brush......if this wouldn't of happened, if it did happen.......

Re: CWD in people? - 02/20/19 01:23 AM

Gentlemen, my apologies. I was so encouraged by the beginning of the video, I copy/pasted w/o further review.

After watching the entire presentation, pretty sure it is a bunch of hogwash!

https://www.facebook.com/497624440269298/posts/2260399187325139?sfns=mo

Re: CWD in people? - 02/20/19 03:40 PM

That guy had the same results to announce years back and yet no cure.

I sent an email to Mary Woods, Dr Mary Woods, who spoke in Texas about CWD and what Wyoming has been doing.
She is very skeptical of his results but welcomes more research.

As to affecting older bucks, we still take 8 1/2 yr old bucks from the endemic area in Wyoming, they will not all die. Have we seen sick deer yes, but not very many at all, maybe 1 every few years. We also do not find carcasses lying around, it is open country.
Your biggest threat is over reaction.
Posted By: jim1961

Re: CWD in people? - 02/20/19 04:02 PM

It is ridiculous and obviously PETA backed

Re: CWD in people? - 02/20/19 04:44 PM

CWD is a gift to the Peta people, and you can bet that they will jump on the push of the fear mongering, especially to the younger hunters.
The hunters average age of those who have purchased hunting licences is around 62 years old, and I'm one of them, and they couldn't care less about what effect CWD will have on them, but it's the thought that once the seed of doubt is planted, that there could be even an undocumented chance that eating a sick animal could transfer to humans, you get the reaction that people especially a younger man with a young family, will no longer want to take that chance, or feed the meat to their family knowingly, or not knowingly.
That would be a death blow to our sport, and reading many of the responses to these CWD threads, (thanks to our cut and paste buddy flounder) you see even members of this forum who say they would never feed an animal that tested positive to themselves and especially their family which is understandable.
You would then have to ask yourself, why am I even hunting, and taking deer just for it's antlers?
It leaves a very big question mark as to where this is all going?
Posted By: snake oil

Re: CWD in people? - 02/20/19 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by jim1961
It is ridiculous and obviously PETA backed

LOL it was talked about on WBAP this morning. Getting a lot of play.
Posted By: Novice Hunter

Re: CWD in people? - 02/21/19 01:46 AM

Several thoughts/observations, not trying to make an argument:

1. Up to a point, back in the day when "Mad Cow Disease" was discussed, I heard many statements along the lines of "there is not any evidence that it can be transmitted to humans". We know where that went.

2. There seem to be many people eating venison from deer shot in areas where CWD is endemic, and there does not seem to be an uptick in people diagnosed with anything resembling vCJD (Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease).

3. Prion detection could be done with a technique similar to that done with DNA by the Genetic Genealogy companies. I bet that in 10-15 years, you will be able to buy a device for $200 that you could smear some deer brain tissue in, and know in 5 minutes if the deer has the condition.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/22/19 08:14 PM

https://nypost.com/2019/02/22/eating-zombie-deer-meat-is-safe-researchers-say/

Re: CWD in people? - 02/22/19 11:11 PM

Up to 183 positive tests now in Tennessee since December 14. So that some people will not feel as if I'm stretching the truth, I'll officially go on record stating that "nearly 184" deer have tested positive so far since December and NOT nearly 200. smile

Regardless of whether this transfers to humans or not It's a big deal, at least when it's approaching some of your hunting areas.

Re: CWD in people? - 02/24/19 01:23 PM

I guess the day is coming in the not too distant future, and people will point to a deer and tell their kids,....."Yes they are pretty, and if you eat their meat they will kill you, and you wouldn't believe that people used to actually kill and eat those things!"
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum