Texas Hunting Forum

Mature Venison

Posted By: Cast

Mature Venison - 02/02/19 02:34 AM

I have venison to debone. I’m gonna give a bunch of it away. I have some really big WT hind quarters. Are they as good or better than the younger meat?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 02:37 AM

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. You just have to try it.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 03:50 AM

Well articulated
Posted By: aclaimsman

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 03:54 AM

I agree with Bill.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Well articulated
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 04:18 AM

Agree with Bil, a lot as to how venison tastes just like beef depends on the condition of the animal and what they have been eating.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 04:23 AM

No.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Agree with Bil, a lot as to how venison tastes just like beef depends on the condition of the animal and what they have been eating.

And post harvest treatment.....
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by kmon1

And post harvest treatment.....

Agree with all of this. Very dependent on what the animals been eating in my experience.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 02:03 PM

Just like a beef.

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 05:41 PM

These are pampered WT. Fed corn and protein year round. They share a pristine environment with just a few cows to keep them company. Predators and hogs all gone as they’re shot on site.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 05:43 PM

Was it a mature buck or a doe? Was it killed during the rut or post rut? What it was fed year round won't change the texture or taste if it was a buck killed post rut.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 05:46 PM

Love Bill, but I doubt he's been within a mile of any deer.

I wouldn't eat any venison given to me unless I saw it from shot to freezer

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 06:01 PM

The deer were killed a few days ago, been on ice since. The meat is good. I’ve got a freezer full from this ranch (this season) and it’s delish. I received them quartered so don’t know the sex, but the big one is probably a big buck as it is much bigger than the other deer in the ice chest.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Wrong. I've shot and dressed several. Have my own meat grinder. Haven't shot one in several years.

Re: Mature Venison - 02/02/19 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

I’m happy to take meat from a good buddy. I’ve had two buddies bring me deer this season. The first was a beautiful Axis spike. Would you turn that down?
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Mature Venison - 02/03/19 05:55 PM

If I had to choice for eating then I'd go with the younger venison. Sounds like you have a trusted nice buddy supplying you, so get busy cutting and grinding. I need to thaw some out to cook as freezers are full and no room for fish and off deer season fare.

Re: Mature Venison - 02/03/19 06:27 PM

I’m up to my elbows in it today. Really nice meat.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Mature Venison - 02/04/19 08:08 PM

We feed protein year-round+ corn September thru February. Our mature deer are built like steers early on. All of our early season deer have inches of fat all over their bodies. Post rut, not so much. Mature bucks post-rut have lost 25% or more of their healthy body weight and have almost -0- fat. When there is almost no fat and the remaining tissue has turned pink from all the rutting and running, they don't taste nearly as good as they did in October and November.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Mature Venison - 02/04/19 09:23 PM

Ive eaten them from their first year to so old they didn't have an intact tooth left in their mouth, both bucks and does. Ive never noticed much of a difference in any of it. Take care of it correctly and prepare it well and it will be good to go. I ate both steaks and grind out of all of the older ones, no issues no bad taste and no tuffness.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Mature Venison - 02/14/19 10:38 PM

I would think the meat would all be good. Especially if making sausage and hamburger. Tenderized steaks good to go.
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Mature Venison - 02/20/19 01:26 AM

Gave some to a struggling deer hunter one year. He said too tough, gonna give it to a passin by bulldog. FYI, all my meat is mature.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Mature Venison - 02/20/19 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by REALKILLER
Gave some to a struggling deer hunter one year. He said too tough, gonna give it to a passin by bulldog. FYI, all my meat is mature.

Bet a chihuahua would tear it up...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum