Texas Hunting Forum

Does “Looking for a lease” work?

Posted By: CGB

Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/18/19 08:27 PM

I see a lot of these ads looking for leases every year. Anybody ever get on a lease by posting one? Or get hunters from one?
Posted By: tlk

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/18/19 08:35 PM

I am lease boss for a place and we have picked up multiple members/leads over the past 7-8 years from posting on leasehunter.com and here

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/18/19 08:59 PM

Have you picked up hunters by responding to a “Looking for a lease ad”? Or just by posting your lease on sites and waiting for hunters to contact you?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/18/19 09:15 PM

Looking for a lease seems much like looking for a job. That is, you have better luck finding a new lease when you already have one. It's the relationships you have within your current landowner circle that can make you aware of other lease opportunities.

Case in point. I went with a landowner earlier this week to get hay from someone whom he and I had never met. That meeting and resulting conversation could have opened up access to an entirely new circle of landowners.

As with finding a job, networking is the key to success.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/18/19 09:34 PM

My info is decades old and I have not used it in over 30 years. But mostly we found our leases by hitting the feed stores in rural area where we wanting a lease. Sometimes a lease was found by simply talking to other hunters in area cafes or having coffee at a local Dairy Queen.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/18/19 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by CGB
Have you picked up hunters by responding to a “Looking for a lease ad”? Or just by posting your lease on sites and waiting for hunters to contact you?

Posting on sites and wait for contact -
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/19/19 04:25 AM

For good to great leases? No, or not often.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/19/19 12:43 PM

If your attitude is “we are kinda lookin for a lease, not really sure how many guys we have in our group, lemme know whatcha got (because I’m too lazy to post ANY INFO on what we might want), then I’ll call my [censored] buddies & we will pick apart your management plan, lament the fact that it may not have every single feature some of us want, & I’ll call you back in a few weeks (or maybe not) & letcha know, then we will gradually gather the money necessary over the course of a few weeks/months”, then no, you prolly won’t find a lease.

If you have your groups needs in mind (general location, acreage, price, etc), can speak for the entire group, & will come look at a lease that day, with cash in hand, yes you might get a lease.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/19/19 01:38 PM

Not if you wait too long. Gotta agree about Dairy Queen. Coffee shops and posting at feed stores would be my suggestion.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/19/19 02:47 PM

If the"" looking for a lease" post is the first ever for that person, I usually ignore it and move on. I've added lease members after looking at their previous posts. You can get a feeling about a person by their postings.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/19/19 03:48 PM

Yes!! That is how I got to hunt where I do. Owner dosn't hunt and supply's feeders and 1/2 the corn. The cost, Nothing ! I do help with some minor labor from time to time. Nothing much.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/19/19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by White Falcon
Yes!! That is how I got to hunt where I do. Owner dosn't hunt and supply's feeders and 1/2 the corn. The cost, Nothing ! I do help with some minor labor from time to time. Nothing much.

So-called "Absent" landowners who don't routinely check on their property can be eager to offer you a lease so they have someone doing it for them. Just don't be surprised if you find someone already hunting the place and who tries to bluff you away by claiming they own it.

Now, with these comments in mind, another tactic is to simply ride the roads and look for prospective tracts where hunters don't appear to be present. Next, go to the County Tax Office and lookup the name and telephone number of whoever pays the taxes on it. The county where I hunt most often has a computer where you can do this yourself. I've done it just to see who owns specific properties in the area for various reasons. Of course it helps if you're someone who reads maps and follows diagrams well. Even if the person you speak with isn't leasing, he/she might be able to refer you to another landowner who might be.

Again, it's all about your ability to network with as many people as your time permits.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/19/19 06:38 PM

I have a good lease I've been on for five seasons but I'm always looking for a lease. I've posted the "looking for a lease" before and got some responses. Even looked at several that way. However most of them were places where there was an established group who got all the considerations, like access to power for their campers or use of the camp house and you had to bring a generator, etc, or they were places that couldn't keep people because of drama or lack of game.
A good lease is not always easy to find and sometimes you have to do a little work to make it stay a good lease and improve it. That said that work can be rewarding in itself.
BTW I'm looking for one every season. If I find one that suits me better than my current one I'd take it. Even if that means I pay for two for a year so I can keep the new one.

Re: Does “Looking for a lease” work? - 01/19/19 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by passthru
I have a good lease I've been on for five seasons but I'm always looking for a lease. I've posted the "looking for a lease" before and got some responses. Even looked at several that way. However most of them were places where there was an established group who got all the considerations, like access to power for their campers or use of the camp house and you had to bring a generator, etc, or they were places that couldn't keep people because of drama or lack of game.
A good lease is not always easy to find and sometimes you have to do a little work to make it stay a good lease and improve it. That said that work can be rewarding in itself.
BTW I'm looking for one every season. If I find one that suits me better than my current one I'd take it. Even if that means I pay for two for a year so I can keep the new one.

We have a lot in common. I’m on a good lease going on year five. I also own a small place in Throckmorton County. I’m happy with what I have but I’m somewhat addicted to looking for leases. I look at Craigslist, Facebook, THF and TBH every day. Not just for leases but hunting stuff in general.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum