Posted By: mow

names - 12/31/18 11:08 PM

who names their de?..and why?
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: names - 12/31/18 11:11 PM

No names. Just seems strange to me
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: names - 12/31/18 11:12 PM

My buddy and I name some. Easier to conversate about. You can say one name instead of having to describe them each time. Ex. Joe instead of 8pt with short 3 on his left side about 14in wide
Posted By: txshntr

Re: names - 12/31/18 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Leonardo
My buddy and I name some. Easier to conversate about. You can say one name instead of having to describe them each time. Ex. Joe instead of 8pt with short 3 on his left side about 14in wide

We name ours for the same reason. Most of the names describe something about the deer that makes it easy to identify.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: names - 12/31/18 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by txshntr

We name ours for the same reason. Most of the names describe something about the deer that makes it easy to identify.

We do some...cull 6....basket 8, grillguard (disfigured face from being hit by a car), ....chocolate 10....skinny 10.....

Easy to ID and discuss what kids we want to put on.......
Posted By: Grizz

Re: names - 12/31/18 11:55 PM

We will if there is something unique enough about a deer.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: names - 01/01/19 12:38 AM

We do but you know that already rofl
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: names - 01/01/19 12:48 AM

Once in a while I do but most of the time I don't.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: names - 01/01/19 01:01 AM

In 4 years we've only named one, a cull, the first year. "Super freak." I killed him. There was supposed to be a cash prize. 'Still waiting. moose
Posted By: MoTex

Re: names - 01/01/19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by txshntr

A lot easier to discuss and communicate
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: names - 01/01/19 01:55 AM

Some of them....the one hanging on my wall is Buster. Some of the deer visiting my feeder this year were Double Tine, Little Kicker, Big 10, Little 10, Wide 8, Sweet 8, Fighter 8, Crash and Junior.
Posted By: mow

Re: names - 01/01/19 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by dlrz71
We do but you know that already rofl

lol
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: names - 01/01/19 03:31 PM

We don't. Guess I will never be on TV as all the deer killed on TV seem to have been named.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: names - 01/01/19 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Once in a while I do but most of the time I don't.

I don't name them often but if I do its a key feature like split brows or split G2 buck
Posted By: jmh004

Re: names - 01/01/19 06:02 PM

James, Kevin, Randall, Nolan, Robert, Donald. Easily identifiable names.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: names - 01/01/19 11:28 PM

We had what would have been a nice eight pointer, but the right antlers were completely missing. I named him "Comb Over".
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: names - 01/01/19 11:45 PM

nope...
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: names - 01/01/19 11:59 PM

Wife and I had two we named Big Daddy and Old Man.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: names - 01/01/19 11:59 PM

When I see bucks that are over 2 yrs old, and stick around maybe I will.....
Posted By: hurricanecraig

Re: names - 01/02/19 04:33 AM

No
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: names - 01/02/19 04:43 AM

We have several names for deer. Currently there is :
Oopsie, a 12 point with double drops and some kickers
Grandpa, probably 10 years old
OMG, obvious, and 5 drops to boot
HP, Holy PIg. My 4 year old nephew said that I couldn't say crap or cow, his mom's rules.
Elvis, is dead. scored 215"
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: names - 01/02/19 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
We don't. Guess I will never be on TV as all the deer killed on TV seem to have been named.

I don't name them either but make mental notations to self about noteworthy characteristics such as kickers, wider than normal spread, etc. Guess I'm not interested in getting that attached to them subconsciously by naming them, LOL.
Posted By: tlk

Re: names - 01/02/19 02:22 PM

we do it all the time and for a good reason. We are on 9000 LF acres with 12 hunters and we track our deer pretty closely. We put a name on most all of the good up and comers as it simplifies which deer we are referring to when we discuss various bucks. Otherwise when we talk about a deer we would be saying "you know the one with the kicker off of his left G3" etc.

The name usually coincides with some trait of the deer.

We had one with an injured knee we named Crip that we killed a few years back - his off spring son showed up and we named him Crip Jr. and took him this season.

Another we named Houdini because we would see him on trail cam before the season and then he would disappear during the season

Had a 19 point that had kickers and bumps all over his rack and named him Popcorn

So for us it just simplifies things
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: names - 01/02/19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
we do it all the time and for a good reason. We are on 9000 LF acres with 12 hunters and we track our deer pretty closely. We put a name on most all of the good up and comers as it simplifies which deer we are referring to when we discuss various bucks. Otherwise when we talk about a deer we would be saying "you know the one with the kicker off of his left G3" etc.

The name usually coincides with some trait of the deer.

We had one with an injured knee we named Crip that we killed a few years back - his off spring son showed up and we named him Crip Jr. and took him this season.

Another we named Houdini because we would see him on trail cam before the season and then he would disappear during the season

Had a 19 point that had kickers and bumps all over his rack and named him Popcorn

So for us it just simplifies things
makes good sense to me
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: names - 01/02/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jmh004
James, Kevin, Randall, Nolan, Robert, Donald. Easily identifiable names.

rofl
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: names - 01/02/19 04:26 PM

A few we name. I killed Yard Buck sunday. I'll give you three guess's where I happened to kill him.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum