Texas Hunting Forum

Never seen the roads any worse

Posted By: Texas Dan

Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 12:49 PM

Haven't seen anyone mention how all the heavy rain has impacted the roads they use to reach their hunting grounds. Anyone who uses dirt roads to reach their lease knows how the roads can get pretty bad during the late fall and winter months. But I have never seen the dirt roads in the area where I hunt in East Texas any worse than they are now. And it will likely be a while before the county can get them back into shape, given the heavy rain just keeps coming.

Based on the high water marks inside my ground blind, the roads in our area have taken five flooding rains since the start of the season.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 12:53 PM

My duck season is over due to the muddy roads. We have had way to much rain. Luckly I have my deer lease and can take my 4 wheeler anywhere I need to go.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 03:24 PM

Driving back to Fairfield from Bossier yesterday every brook, stream, creek, and river was either full or out of its banks....lots of standing water everywhere and we got another good round of rain again last night....

Yesterday I was going to look at the Texas lake website to check lake levels....
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 03:42 PM

Road washed out pretty bad getting to one of my stands. I didn’t even take a look at it after the big rain a few days back, I’m sure it really bad.

Last Thursday, Dec 27th. I drove in to my box blind in some of serious rain. I kept telling myself, I’d hate to be working in this sh........t!!!!

My old hunting trucks 4 wheel drive got a work out this hunting season no doubt. Didn’t take long to figure out how much better my 97 Tahoe gets around on bad roads compared to my 2500 ram truck. Ole Tahoe doesn’t get around as good as Jeeps I’ve owned, but goes pretty good and rides pretty good for the most.

Had so much rain at our place the lease Mgr called me yesterday and asked it I would mind bring my tractor to the lease to move one of the members camper trailers.

I bet next year will be dry as popcorn fart.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 04:54 PM

It's ruined our deer season pretty much.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 04:55 PM

The roads are terrible out by the ranch. Almost impossible to get around
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil

Same for me, we went from severe drought to flooded out along with the timber company cutting right up to and into season. The rain is the only thing that stopped them from cutting.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Haven't seen anyone mention how all the heavy rain has impacted the roads they use to reach their hunting grounds. Anyone who uses dirt roads to reach their lease knows how the roads can get pretty bad during the late fall and winter months. But I have never seen the dirt roads in the area where I hunt in East Texas any worse than they are now. And it will likely be a while before the county can get them back into shape, given the heavy rain just keeps coming.

Based on the high water marks inside my ground blind, the roads in our area have taken five flooding rains since the start of the season.

The county will get to them about 1 month before the next election cycle.

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Originally Posted by snake oil

Same for me, we went from severe drought to flooded out along with the timber company cutting right up to and into season. The rain is the only thing that stopped them from cutting.

Timber company started thinning trees last week on our place, i have no idea how long they are going to be cutting.

This is my first year on a Timber company owned lease. I have no idea what to expect. Most of the guys on our place have been on their for several years so it must not be to bad.

I bet all that heavy equipment is not going to do the roads any good!!!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 10:31 PM

Stuck truck twice and stuck two tractors also.

I’m about to buy a UTV. I never spun the tires even in a flash flood in the places I got stuck this year. Been on both ranches for 20 and 12 years and driven those spots hundred times when wet or even running water. Both places I got stuck it was like the bottom caved out to an underground river.
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 10:47 PM

Yep! Ours are trashed!
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 10:57 PM

I'm extremely fortunate. The county road to get to where I hunt is a dirt road, but in spite of all of the rain and flooding this year it's in good shape. The only part that isn't quite as good is one section of road that always has water now since the guy who owns the ranch next to it re-worked the area around his small lake and diverted all of the drainage to the county road. The roads inside our fence are good too, but I don't know how. Early in the season when it was raining regularly, the entire northeast corner of my BIL's place and some sections of the county road were completely under water almost every weekend.

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 11:04 PM

I've never been a UTV fan. Always had Jeeps, even had a Scout back years ago. Now i have a two door Z71 Tahoe with a 4 inch lift, rebuilt motor and transmission, it runs real good. I've always had a 4 wheeler, currently 500 CC Polaris.eee

I have to say watching the guy with a UTV that hunts past me go through the same washed out road I have to drive though to get to one of my stands, I am impressed. He has a large 4 seater UTV of some kind and he just zip right through. My 4wheeler goes through it ok, but I have to be careful and not turn over. My Tahoe goes though it ok as long as its dry. When its wet I almost got sideways once. I need to get rid of the all AT tires and get Mud tires.

Next year I am for putting a which on the front of my Tahoe. Winches are cheap, bumpers aren't. First thing i have to do is get a bumper.

Maybe if my wife has got over the new tractor I bought a while back without telling her, I may get brave and by a side by side UTV. They sure seem to get around in the rough stuff really good.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 11:17 PM

Been tough. We have two creeks that get impassable. Good road and bottom but water over the hood of the feed truck yesterday
Posted By: Erny

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 11:31 PM

The amount of rain we have gotten in North Harrison County is is ridiculous. There are springs and standing water in places I have never seen before. Lucky the roads at my place are still passable.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 12/31/18 11:48 PM

[/quote]The county will get to them about 1 month before the next election cycle.[/quote]

That is exactly how it works in our county.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/01/19 12:01 AM

Stuck twice in 2 days at our hill country lease. Had way to much rain and water still standing in places. Road to the lease id bad even though the county has had equipment out twice. Seems they are trying to make some improvement to just get by for now.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/01/19 12:07 AM

2nd wettest year on record... nuff said.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/01/19 02:07 AM

My place is fairly sandy but most of this fall I have not been able to get to my back pasture. In fact I got stuck today.

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/01/19 03:00 AM

It not just muddy at the lease. I stuck my one ton driving though the back of my place at Sam Rayburn, tractor was in the storage down the road, lot a good it does to have a tractor when the truck you need to go it is stuck Ended up hitting a tree once it I got unstuck, about 4k worth of damage. Last week I stuck my 2500 ram on the other side of my place. Had to pull it out with my hunting truck.

It can dry up any time for a while.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/01/19 04:01 AM

Drove over to my spot. The county rd there crosses 4 low water crossings. All have water in them but not too bad. Got inside the gate and in closing the gate, my foot sunk 3" into the dirt/mud. Left the truck there and didn't risk tearing up the roads any worse than they are. Kept hoping I could shoot something close to the road but no luck.
Getting out on that county road was a regular rodeo.
Posted By: USMC01

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/05/19 03:26 PM

We are out in East TX as well and it's been a mud pool this whole season. UTVs getting stuck left and right. The winch paid itself off a few times over now.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/05/19 08:09 PM

Roads/trails on my place are rutted bad in the low areas. Gonna have to to some discing and blading to get them back into shape if it ever dries up. May have to just turn them into a spring food plots since some areas only get used during deer season.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/05/19 08:38 PM

I remember just a very, VERY few short years ago everyone was begging for rain.....in all my years of living in Texas, being born and raised here, I learned early on never to cuss the rain....no matter how deep it is or how long it sticks around....because too much water is always better than no water.....

I look at years like this as years that help establish trees, grasses, and animal populations that help get us thru the more dry years. Working in the oil field out in the weather no matter what it is I don't particularly like being cold and wet....but hot and dry is worse....
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/06/19 12:33 AM

My Utv has allowed me access that I would have been really stuck and really messed up some roads.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/06/19 03:20 AM

Not just dirt roads. 153 from Sweetwater to Coleman is beat to hell as well
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Never seen the roads any worse - 01/06/19 05:37 AM

Never been this wet late season in 15+ years. Few of our feeders will be empty a while. Really sad out but lake went dry. No more fish or ducks and now overflowing mud lakes. We now have 8 overflowing ponds on the place... Other wildlife is happy with 1000 holes of water everywhere.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum