Texas Hunting Forum

Goals 2019

Posted By: GusWayne

Goals 2019 - 12/26/18 04:38 AM

The season is winding down here in 2018

What are some of your 2019 goals for deer season. Here are a few of mine...

1. Pick up the bow again, haven’t in 15 years or so

2. Get a GoPro and video hunts, just for my entertainment mainly.

3. I either want to kill a pig w a 9mm or spear for some reason

Anybody else thought about what you want out of next year?

I’m not talking about nailing a 160 class either, we all want that
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/26/18 06:32 AM

My goal is to get back into hunting period. For 25 years I had a lease in Victoria county but the ownership changed so me and the other lease members had to get off. That was six years ago. At the time both my boys were playing college sports, so I just focused on that on the few days I had off from my job. But now I am retiring January 3, 2019 and just bought some land in Houston county and plan to get back into hunting. Really excited!
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/26/18 12:21 PM

Here are my 2019 hunting goals:
1) Improve my shooting skills. This applies to the fundamentals, snap shooting, and longer range shooting.
2) Get into sheep shape.
3) Hunt new locations and animals. Going to AK for Dall sheep and grizzly, Nebraska for whitetail, and New Mexico for Merriam's turkey.

The first two goals will be a challenge since I travel for work. 2019 is shaping up to be a near record travel year for me without the hunting.

If there is still time available, then some additional goals are:
1) Volunteer more. I'd like to spend more time helping conservation groups and/or other hunters.
2) Learn archery. It'll open up more hunting opportunities for me.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/26/18 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ringtail
My goal is to get back into hunting period. For 25 years I had a lease in Victoria county but the ownership changed so me and the other lease members had to get off. That was six years ago. At the time both my boys were playing college sports, so I just focused on that on the few days I had off from my job. But now I am retiring January 3, 2019 and just bought some land in Houston county and plan to get back into hunting. Really excited!

Good luck, no big deer in Houston Co. peep

My 2019 Hunting goals:

1. Put my wife on a spring turkey
2. Get a bow again and take a buck in the SHNF
3. Make 2 trips up to Lake Meredith. One to scout, one to hunt
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/26/18 02:00 PM

2019 Hunting Goals:

Kill a Big Nyala, Gemsbok and Impala in Limpopo. Also a Blesbuck and Bushbuck if the opportunity presents itself.

Re-Evaluate my Out of State hunts and maybe book a Moose hunt in Canada.

Do more whitetail hunting close to home with a bow.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/26/18 02:34 PM

Nice goals. I also want to start filming my hunts - debating on getting a Gopro to do this.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/26/18 02:37 PM

Open up more space for food plots at the lease, rebuild blinds, take the new rifle to the range as much as possible, hunt more than I did this year.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/26/18 02:50 PM

I have been stockpiling preference points in my native CO for a long time. I have 24 for elk, 17 for deer, 15 for bear, 3+12 weighted for moose, 3+12 weighted for sheep. I'm thinking it is about time to cash them in. The elk tag I really want (Unit 2) will take a few more points but I think I'll cash in the deer points and try for a really big mulie.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/26/18 02:55 PM

Make more time to get out into the field....quit working so much....
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/26/18 03:48 PM

Get back to hunting mule deer again in 2019 after missing the last 2 yrs.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 01:29 AM

1. Take everything on my list for my safari in April: eland, nyala, bushbuck, lechwe, springbok, warthog, black wildebeest, waterbuck, and zebra. Maybe add a sable if I'm lucky;
2. Book a spring bear hunt in Alberta for 2020;
3. Book an elk hunt in Wyoming for 2021.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 03:02 AM

Hunt more. Only got three trips in during the season.
Plant a food plot
Posted By: thecoblecrew

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 03:02 AM

1. Get my oldest son out more with me. He will be 6 next season. Only got him out a couple times this year as his attention span is very limited.
2. Get my wife out one time with me. Could be an added benefit with this one! LOL
3. Do a food plot.
4. Put up my box blind I built but never actually put together and up.
5. Use my bow on more than just targets.

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
1. Take everything on my list for my safari in April: eland, nyala, bushbuck, lechwe, springbok, warthog, black wildebeest, waterbuck, and zebra. Maybe add a sable if I'm lucky;
2. Book a spring bear hunt in Alberta for 2020;
3. Book an elk hunt in Wyoming for 2021.

Adopt me, I don’t eat much.

Nice goals!

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by thecoblecrew
1. Get my oldest son out more with me. He will be 6 next season. Only got him out a couple times this year as his attention span is very limited.
2. Get my wife out one time with me. Could be an added benefit with this one! LOL
3. Do a food plot.
4. Put up my box blind I built but never actually put together and up.
5. Use my bow on more than just targets.

I too like when my wife goes w me.

She’s went twice the last two years bang

She actually likes the morning hunts when she goes

3 years ago she went prob 3-4 times, thought I’d turned the corner
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 03:31 AM

Had a lease this yr and was grounded with serious health issues. It seems every yr I get hyped only to have something come up. I am at the point where I may give up the lease and just try and do a package hunt.

I keep batting zero and it has really worn me out in the last few yrs. We shall see what 2019 brings and hope for a no repeat of 2018.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 03:42 AM

Just a few does as usual.
And a pig a week, again.
I would like to get my youngest daughter to shoot a big buck, but she comes down from Montana and only wants to shoot pigs. bang
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 03:56 AM

Kill a deer with my grandpa’s shotgun have killed hogs, coyotes, dove, quail, and other varmints with it already.

Get first deer kill with my crossbow

Get little man his first buck after killing his first deer and hog this yr
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by 7mag
Had a lease this yr and was grounded with serious health issues. It seems every yr I get hyped only to have something come up. I am at the point where I may give up the lease and just try and do a package hunt.

I keep batting zero and it has really worn me out in the last few yrs. We shall see what 2019 brings and hope for a no repeat of 2018.

I made this decision two years ago and haven't looked back. just do your homework on package hunts, there's allot of rip-offs out there. Leasing is a PITA, especially the older we get.

My goals are , besides, taking better care of myself,

hunt either pronghorn or maybe cow elk. package hunt for sure.

Continue to take my 28 year old daughter on our Father Daughter hunt.

Shoot in Jason's Hunters Rifle match clap
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 04:11 PM

Going to take up a bow next year. It will be a cross bow as I am to old and week to pull back a compound.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/27/18 04:19 PM

Since my lease was sold, find another one.
Posted By: huntindude

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/28/18 06:22 PM

do more controlled burns.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/28/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by 7mag

I made this decision two years ago and haven't looked back. just do your homework on package hunts, there's allot of rip-offs out there. Leasing is a PITA, especially the older we get.

My goals are , besides, taking better care of myself,

hunt either pronghorn or maybe cow elk. package hunt for sure.

Continue to take my 28 year old daughter on our Father Daughter hunt.

Shoot in Jason's Hunters Rifle match clap

I've got very similar goals for 2019. I'm the oldest on my lease. I told the other guys in October that I have a torn rotator cuff and need surgery, so I probably couldn't fill feeders too well. They responded "No problem at all, we'll work it out." "Working it out" apparently means let feeders go empty. I filled half of them (6) by myself. And these are supposedly friends. I'm done. 'Taking my son out one last time, gathering up my crap, and I'm off.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/28/18 07:28 PM

Just enjoy life and hopefully continued health for the wife and I.
Posted By: Leveled

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/28/18 07:30 PM

Practice more with my bow and take a deer at Lake Tawakoni. I have walked the north property many times and think I can get a good setup for a twenty-five yard shot in a number of places. Hunting public land is tough. I took the whole archery season off this year to work around the house catching up on a remodel. I was thinking I would have better luck with gun season. Next year I may just dedicate myself to taking a deer off this property as it is closer to home.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/28/18 08:56 PM

Shoot a BIG Mule Deer..
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Goals 2019 - 12/29/18 02:13 PM

Upgrade one of my feeders, finally trim one shooting lane completely, trap and shoot a bunch of racoons, kill a couple packs of coyotes.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum