Texas Hunting Forum

West Texas Mule Deer

Posted By: txshntr

West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:04 AM

Another successful year in West Texas for my mule deer season.

I don't get to go out as long as some of the other guys but can usually get 4-5 days and always pick them toward the end of the season, as that seems to be the best time to be there for the mature bucks. I had talked to some of the guys that had been up there before I made it and the had heard that the hunting was even rougher than normal. Seasonal high temps for a few days and an earlier than normal season wasn't doing anyone any favors.

By the time that I was able to make it, everyone was packing up or about to head home. The last few days, I was on the ranch by myself. Most of the guys that had left and some of the ones that have been on the lease for many years provided a lot of valuable information. Before a couple left, he told me where he had seen some good groups of doe, told me how to hunt a particular pasture that I had never hunted before, and told me where he had seen a nice buck. The same with the last group that left, they hadn't seen as much but let me know what they had seen.

Two of the guys that weren't able to hunt this year provided some great insight and led me to some places on the ranch I had never been. They let me in on some of their spots and how they liked to access them in the late season. It was like having a couple of guides on the phone and was greatly appreciated.

The first couple of days were spent hunting, glassing, driving and walking. I was having a hard time locating very many deer with the exception of two pastures. On the third and fourth day, the weather changed and so did the deer. I was finding deer pretty much everywhere but couldn't find a mature deer that I wanted.

With the last few hours of my hunt left, I decided to finish the week on a new hill that I had been led to earlier by my "guides". I had never hunted that area and wanted to see if I could learn something for next year. I started across the ranch in the buggy at a pretty quick pace. The sun broke from the clouds at just the right time to light up a young buck on a ridge about 1k yards away. I slammed on the brakes and started glassing. It was obvious the way he was acting that he wasn't alone and it didn't take long to pick out the bigger buck headed his way. I knew the bigger buck wouldn't mess with him without does being around, so I spent the next twenty minutes finding them.

Once I found the does, I started the stalk to them knowing he would circle back. There was a pretty good stretch that I couldn't see or find him, but had to trust that he was coming back.

I got to about 250 yards from the doe and ran out of real estate. There wasn't a draw, washout, hill or bush tall enough to get behind...and for those that have met me, that is saying something rofl

I started a walk straight at them and didn't make it far before one of the doe spotted me. She didn't know what I was but didn't like me. I ended up standing still with my arms in for almost an hour as she walked toward me. She took her time, but slowly got closer and closer. The herd assumed she was just feeding that direction and followed her in. She ended up about 20 yards to my right and the buck ended up about 60 yards in front of me when I decided to take him.

My gun was still over my shoulder, so I decided to just swing it off and go to my knee in one motion. It worked...he never lifted his head.

All in all, it was another great trip to West Texas for a Mulie. I love that country and love hunting them. Also, great to hunt with a good group of guys that are willing to help and give me insight...and probably even give away some of their spots to help me close the deal on a great deer.

Didn't get any pictures of him alive, but some of the other deer I came across.

Attached picture IMG_1542.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1532.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1514.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1513.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1500.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1488.jpg
Posted By: twdjr

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:06 AM

Nice Going, Congrats!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:08 AM

Heck yeah! Great story, thanks for sharing
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:23 AM

I bet Stx would have passed that young mule deer roflmao

I’m kidding congrats on a great buck
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:26 AM

Nice deer
Posted By: sbushee

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:28 AM

Way cool

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I bet Stx would have passed that young mule deer roflmao

I’m kidding congrats on a great buck

We already argued about the age rofl
Posted By: NDN98

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:50 AM

Nice buck. Congrats!
Posted By: thecoblecrew

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 03:03 AM

cheers
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 03:04 AM

Thanks for sharing!!! Nice buck..congrats cheers
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 03:08 AM

Congrats on a 160+ mulie, I’d say you figured out how to hunt that ranch.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 03:48 AM

Congrats.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

He cheats somehow. I know he has a drone or sonar or something.....

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 04:06 AM

Great deer. I’m jealous and P.O’d but happy for you.

You are on a hot streak
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 04:19 AM

I sure am glad you decided to get a closer look at that "weak sided 4x5".... :grin I know you were mule-lipped about not seeing any mature bucks the first few days but the old saying held true again...."if I can only hunt a few days then make the last few days of the season"..! Congrats on a great looking buck that scored better than I guessed him at! Of course your photo skills did not help any.... roflmao.I happen to know that area of the ranch pretty well and I know for a fact you could have hidden behind some of those softball sized rocks on that gently sloping ridge grin How come you left out that little detail of the does stalking you up to 20 yards???? clap You said the buck did but not all the does to! Great recap and buck. cheers
Posted By: AledoGYoung

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 04:49 AM

Awesome buck! I hope to find a mule deer lease out there some day.

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I sure am glad you decided to get a closer look at that "weak sided 4x5".... :grin I know you were mule-lipped about not seeing any mature bucks the first few days but the old saying held true again...."if I can only hunt a few days then make the last few days of the season"..! Congrats on a great looking buck that scored better than I guessed him at! Of course your photo skills did not help any.... roflmao.I happen to know that area of the ranch pretty well and I know for a fact you could have hidden behind some of those softball sized rocks on that gently sloping ridge grin How come you left out that little detail of the does stalking you up to 20 yards???? clap You said the buck did but not all the does to! Great recap and buck. cheers

Might have been the does that stalked me and he just wondered on in behind them grin

He also might have been a 3x5 at one time bang

And you have never been impressed with any picture I have ever taken of an animal...you would think you would teach me something...

And thanks for the assist...it didn’t help, but thanks rofl

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

He cheats somehow. I know he has a drone or sonar or something.....

Great deer. I’m jealous and P.O’d but happy for you.

You are on a hot streak

Appreciate it, but I don’t have it figured out. Something different every year, new places to glass from every year and lots of but time...that’s some big country.

rofl No, tricks. Right time, right place. You just left a few days early

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 05:19 AM

And thanks everyone. Appreciate the opurtinity to share
Posted By: texfork

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 10:31 AM

Great buck , congrats
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 12:35 PM

Very nice buck, congrats! cheers
Posted By: Stub

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 12:49 PM

Good looking Mulie, congrats cheers
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 12:49 PM

Awesome buck

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by txshntr
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Might have been the does that stalked me and he just wondered on in behind them grin

He also might have been a 3x5 at one time bang

And you have never been impressed with any picture I have ever taken of an animal...you would think you would teach me something...

And thanks for the assist...it didn’t help, but thanks rofl

trout Now I FULLY understand why you did not "go take a closer look at him"....he was "served up to you on a platter" by those does...since they were checking out the gnome in the pasture roflmao
[Linked Image]
rolleyes I am sure glad to you did not take my suggestion of getting to where you had seen a lot of does and had elevation to check for new bucks moving in to look for the does rolleyes
OBTW...where did you find this buck again? grin

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:04 PM

In hindsight, there was no way I could have stayed thru the weekend. I had a deal I had to have wrapped up Monday morning and it took me Thursday and Friday to do all that.

If I am able to get over how that place wronged me, I'll hunt the last week next year and save myself time and heartache.

I was able to take a nice jackrabbit with a good tip to tip spread, so it wasn't a total loss

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:05 PM

rofl I actually laughed at that

And you didn’t tell me to hunt there...I was flying past this area to get to where you told me earlier rofl

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:09 PM

rofl I actually laughed at that

And you didn’t tell me to hunt there...I was flying past hunting through this area to get to where you told me earlier rofl

cheers

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 02:17 PM

In hindsight, there was no way I could have stayed thru the weekend. I had a deal I had to have wrapped up Monday morning and it took me Thursday and Friday to do all that.

If I am able to get over how that place wronged me, I'll hunt the last week next year and save myself time and heartache.

I was able to take a nice jackrabbit with a good tip to tip spread, so it wasn't a total loss

There are some trophy jacks out there for sure rofl

No doubt, that place can be frustrating because you know they are there and it doesn’t look like they should be able to hide like they do.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 03:28 PM

good work! up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Good looking Mulie, congrats cheers

Nice one for sure....great story! Congrats Dave...
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 04:04 PM

Awesome! Congrats on a great deer. Is that 3 years in a row off that place?

I saw a few references to it being 160+. If you don't mind me asking, what did he tape out at? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

Can't wait to get back out there and chase desert mulies next year.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 04:07 PM

Way to go!
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 04:26 PM

Great buck. Sounds like a great hunt.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 04:32 PM

What was wrong with the live buck you pictured sideways? He looked like a decent buck.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 05:15 PM

Congrats bud cheers

Damn nice MD buck up
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 05:32 PM

Congratulations Dave....Sounds like an awesome experience!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 05:37 PM

well done bud!! up

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Grosvenor

I saw a few references to it being 160+. If you don't mind me asking, what did he tape out at? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

Yes sir, three years and three deer that I am dang proud of. I got a tall, heavy horned narrow one, then went for a wide one and then got this one which I think is unique. Love his dark antlers and the way the points lay out on the main beam.

He was scored at 161 and some change. When I get him back from the taxidermist, Stx is making me remeasure him because he missed him by 3% and he doesn't like to miss deer rofl

I truly love hunting mulies. Before getting on this lease, I had only killed two. One in the panhandle and one near Ft. Davis. While I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of different places, this place has been awesome to hunt and a good group of guys.

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by BenBob
What was wrong with the live buck you pictured sideways? He looked like a decent buck.

He was a good looking deer but only a 3x3. Just wasn't what I was looking for.

I actually sent that to one of the guys that hadn't killed one and told him that I had a 3x3 that would be a good one to go if he wanted to kill it. They already had their truck packed up about to pull out of HQ but came out and killed it. Was a blast to help him hunt it and see his excitement during the hunt and once it was down.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 06:45 PM

Congrats on a heck of a nice buck.

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Grosvenor

Yes sir, three years and three deer that I am dang proud of. I got a tall, heavy horned narrow one, then went for a wide one and then got this one which I think is unique. Love his dark antlers and the way the points lay out on the main beam.

He was scored at 161 and some change. When I get him back from the taxidermist, Stx is making me remeasure him because he missed him by 3% and he doesn't like to miss deer rofl

I truly love hunting mulies. Before getting on this lease, I had only killed two. One in the panhandle and one near Ft. Davis. While I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of different places, this place has been awesome to hunt and a good group of guys.

Well I know what tape you used since you loaned it to me one once.....that patent pending txshntr "Outfitter's Trophy Scoring Tape" that is "guaranteed to make them score more than what they look like...after they hit the ground"...grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 07:59 PM

That's my kinda tape!

What was the spread and main beam length? I have only scored a couple, but they were from the same general area. I tried to guess the score myself and estimated 21 on the spread and 25's on the main beams. I came up with 163.

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 08:58 PM

rofl Told you stx was butt hurt over missing it 3% on the score

Spread was just shy of 22", main beams were only 22.5. mass was around 34. Tines were right at 60.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
well done bud!! up
Posted By: djs303

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/14/18 10:09 PM

Nice mulie! He will look great on the wall with those dark horns.
Posted By: pop r

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/15/18 12:59 AM

up
Posted By: Fowl Farms

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/15/18 03:02 AM

Congrats David! Awesome muley

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/15/18 03:43 AM

Thanks everyone!
Posted By: Tophers

Re: West Texas Mule Deer - 12/16/18 04:26 PM

Nice buck