Texas Hunting Forum

Feeding protein?

Posted By: CW Knight

Feeding protein? - 11/27/18 03:43 PM

I am on 11000 acres with 26 other hunters. There is no one within my general area so I was wanting to see what everyones thoughts were on feeding protein just at my place. Is it worth it if the surrounding hunters aren't willing to do it? I have a good heard and a lot of potential for some really nice deer in the future.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Feeding protein? - 11/27/18 03:53 PM

You will likely draw in more bucks than those areas not feeding protein. Won't however likely enhance the size of the herd appreciably being the only protein feeder on 11,000 acres. So, as an additional attractant, can work well in your favor would be my guess.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Feeding protein? - 11/27/18 03:59 PM

Not worth the money unless you have them high fenced. Even then, to get good results, you have to remove all other food sources from them to get them to show any significant gains by just feeding them protein. Focus on candy. What do they want to snack on? What do they go out of their way to eat? Most of the time, it's a good quality corn. Spend the money on better corn. I've also had extremely good results with Black Magic. You just pour it onto a low spot on the ground and deer will quickly make that area into a mud hole, which is even better because moisture adds to the desirability of it.
Posted By: bulltide

Re: Feeding protein? - 11/27/18 04:13 PM

In my opinion, bucks might go chasing during the rut but for the most part come back. If they didn't come back, I would never be able to watch a buck grow from year to year. Also, the doe will stay put. If the doe are healthy, their fawns have a better chance of surviving. It's always a good idea to take care of the herd. Just my opinion.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Feeding protein? - 11/27/18 04:18 PM

Depends on what you want from it. If you just want to bring them in, use corn, much cheaper. If you want to improve the quality of the deer, it will take pretty much year round feeding, which is costly, and getting everyone else on the lease to conform/agree on not shooting young deer. Improvements in antler quality will be in increments. You will not take a 120 class deer, feed him protein, and have a 140 class next year.
It will need to be consistent pretty much year 'round. If you have a wet winter with lots of forbs going into the Spring you might get some slack. The natural stuff is better for them, but as the year progresses the quality of the natural stuff will tend to decrease in it's value (turns more to fiber than anything else) as far as feeding antler growth. Antler growth happens after the body has been fed.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Feeding protein? - 11/27/18 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by CW Knight
I am on 11000 acres with 26 other hunters. There is no one within my general area so I was wanting to see what everyones thoughts were on feeding protein just at my place. Is it worth it if the surrounding hunters aren't willing to do it? I have a good heard and a lot of potential for some really nice deer in the future.

Yes, micro manage... cheers
Posted By: CW Knight

Re: Feeding protein? - 11/28/18 02:02 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. What should I expect as far as consumption and results? Is there any brand recommended. I have heard a lot about Double Down and Antlermax
Posted By: bulltide

Re: Feeding protein? - 11/28/18 02:39 AM

If you are feeding through a gravity feeder, you can expect to go through about 300 lbs in a few days once they find it. Either one is fine.
You might want to get hot protein at 20%
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Feeding protein? - 11/28/18 03:13 AM

Anything over 20% is wasted money. The higher proteins than 20% are for penned deer that do not have access to natural groceries. For the acreage you have you might consider buying in bulk if you can store it and keep it dry.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum