Texas Hunting Forum

I think I shot a Unicorn!

Posted By: Greg Z

I think I shot a Unicorn! - 11/26/18 10:03 PM

[Linked Image]

Had this guy in the camera several times. I knew he was broke off on the left but had no idea that the right side was broke and this third antler was growing next to it.

-Z
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 11/26/18 10:29 PM

Would make an awesome euro!
Posted By: rickym

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 11/26/18 10:30 PM

Would have been interesting to see what he would look like in future years

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 11/26/18 10:36 PM

he was 2-2.5 years. I don't think I want those genetics passed on.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 11/26/18 10:54 PM

up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 11/27/18 02:01 AM

up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 11/27/18 02:04 AM

He was not gonna win any beauty contests. Good job.
Posted By: Dansmith30cal

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/08/18 06:19 PM

Definitely a shooter in my book!
Posted By: RamseyE

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/08/18 07:18 PM

up
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/08/18 07:32 PM

they do exist! eeks333
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/08/18 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Z
he was 2-2.5 years. I don't think I want those genetics passed on.

Genetics like that never make a nice rack.

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/08/18 09:13 PM

grill they do make good chilly though.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/08/18 09:20 PM

Nice buck to kill if you did not like him. That was not genetics that caused that antler growth but more pedicle damage from the year before. Yes, 1.5 yr old bucks will fight and break an antler out of their skull. Sometimes it can cause a 3rd beam to appear on the skull.
Posted By: Team Fat Sack

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/09/18 01:28 PM

cheers
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/09/18 04:14 PM

Good eating right there.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/09/18 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Nice buck to kill if you did not like him. That was not genetics that caused that antler growth but more pedicle damage from the year before. Yes, 1.5 yr old bucks will fight and break an antler out of their skull. Sometimes it can cause a 3rd beam to appear on the skull.

Yup, fully agree, happens more often than we like to think.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/12/18 09:00 PM

In 2004, a 1½-year-old was being seen that had a third antler, much like the buck in the OP. As the ranch owner, I thought we ought to see what became of him.

[Linked Image]

By the time he turned five, he was one smart cookie. I was probably the last one to see him, about 10:00 during mid-November, he walked within 35-yards of my tower blind to scent check a feeder upwind. Honestly, I almost shot him, but I had a young lady coming out that afternoon for her first hunt, and I thought he would make a memorable first deer. We never saw him again. Two and half years later, I found him deer along a dry creek bed about 80 yards from where this picture was taken. It was just his skull, the antler size and not been much that last year, but the extra antler was still there. I let him rest in peace right where he was.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/12/18 10:00 PM

@Ranch Dog,

Your image is not showing

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/13/18 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sparta
@Ranch Dog,

Your image is not showing

I see it on two different devices. Don't know why you aren't seeing it?
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/13/18 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ranch Dog
In 2004, a 1½-year-old was being seen that had a third antler, much like the buck in the OP. As the ranch owner, I thought we ought to see what became of him.

[Linked Image]

By the time he turned five, he was one smart cookie. I was probably the last one to see him, about 10:00 during mid-November, he walked within 35-yards of my tower blind to scent check a feeder upwind. Honestly, I almost shot him, but I had a young lady coming out that afternoon for her first hunt, and I thought he would make a memorable first deer. We never saw him again. Two and half years later, I found him deer along a dry creek bed about 80 yards from where this picture was taken. It was just his skull, the antler size and not been much that last year, but the extra antler was still there. I let him rest in peace right where he was.

His heart gave out from all that weight he was carrying around. He turned out nice and unique....

Re: I think I shot a Unicorn! - 12/13/18 09:50 PM

Yes, he did. Whatever caused the third antler was not passed along to others as he has remained unique. He is typical of the large 8s I have on the place. They get 5YO and they are a tough, but rewarding hunt to single out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum