Texas Hunting Forum

Corn/ Protein ?

Posted By: sunsetroosters

Corn/ Protein ? - 11/20/18 03:10 PM

Do deer prefer corn over protein? I have A protein feeder that’s been sitting in my feeder pen for about 3 months. The deer are on the corn daily. If I throw some protein in my protein feeder, will they stay come into eat the corn when it goes off? Thanks for any advice smile
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Corn/ Protein ? - 11/20/18 03:16 PM

Yes, I have them eating both regularly. In the protein pen and in the corn pens as well. Pretty equal action at my place.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Corn/ Protein ? - 11/20/18 03:42 PM

Our deer go ape crazy for record rack.

Re: Corn/ Protein ? - 11/21/18 04:18 PM

Do you guys stop feeding protein during deer season?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Corn/ Protein ? - 11/21/18 04:26 PM

A lot of places in South Texas bucks will walk over corn to get to protein in October. The colder the weather to more corn they will eat, although if it gets really bad they will empty a protein feeder quickly. I have fed protein year round on ranches I managed or own since 1990 and never quit feeding it. It is there when the deer need it, not when I want them to have it. On my place now I have 3 protein feeders that I have fed year round since Oct of 2012. Right now with all the acorns and green from all the rains they are not eating much protein or corn for that matter. Late December when the second rut is over the bucks will be back on the protein again for 30 days till they recoup. With the freeze last week they are starting to return to the pens and corn again the last few days.
Posted By: Alex K.

Re: Corn/ Protein ? - 11/21/18 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
Our deer go ape crazy for record rack.

Same here
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Corn/ Protein ? - 11/22/18 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by sunsetroosters
Do you guys stop feeding protein during deer season?

Nope protein and cotton seed year round

Re: Corn/ Protein ? - 11/29/18 10:49 AM

I guess I’m going to try some record rack
Posted By: MELackey

Re: Corn/ Protein ? - 11/29/18 06:45 PM

the coons sure seem to love it also.
Posted By: snake pliskin

Re: Corn/ Protein ? - 11/29/18 09:02 PM

We feed protein from February to October in a pen that is not ever hunted. Kind of a safe zone if you will. We also run our corn feeders pretty much year round. I have had late season success by salting a road with protein late in the season when the rut is over and it's cold and they are really hungry and trying to recover.
Posted By: Coonhood

Re: Corn/ Protein ? - 11/30/18 01:07 AM

If you feed protein and have coons you need to know about CoonHoods. They can save you up to half of your protein bill and pay for themselves within a couple months . Visit www.coonhood.com
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum