Texas Hunting Forum

They Don't All Make It

Posted By: fouzman

They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 01:24 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ma Nature derails our best efforts. This buck was ~ 4 in 2015. These are the only trailcam photos we have of him. Never to be seen again. On 1,809 HF acres. But I did kill a deer last year that had never been seen by anyone. He was 7 1/2. A slick 10 that scored 165 7/8 gross and 162 6/8 net typical. Still hopeful, but imagine he's no longer on this side of the grass. frown

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 01:33 AM

The sheds were mounted on a real wt skull by James and Carla Newport at Mesquite Creek Taxidermy in Pearsall. He was 194+
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 01:37 AM

But wait, those HF deer farms are just pens. You can just pull up and shoot any deer you want, anytime you want. Like shooting cattle.

Yes, that's sarcasm. Most of those who criticize HF have never set foot inside one much less tried to hunt the. They can be very challenging. '

PS: That's one heck of a buck.

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 01:41 AM

We hunted a 6 yr old 8 point for 6 days last week. Never laid eyes on him. Nor received any emails of him. Got Cuddelink photos of him this morning. He's moved from the far SW corner of the ranch to the far SE corner. That's 3 miles. I'll debate to my grave that a mature buck is much harder to kill in his living room than his neighbor's back yard. To the hunt!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by fouzman
The sheds were mounted on a real wt skull by James and Carla Newport at Mesquite Creek Taxidermy in Pearsall. He was 194+

Amazing...... up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 12:19 PM

Thanks for sharing. cheers
Posted By: fishingnut12

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 12:30 PM

They don!t get big if they are dumb
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 12:45 PM

Thanks for the post and pictures.

The Baldy pasture on the Chaparral WMA is a good example. 660 HF acres with a single entry point. The minute you unlock that gate, every mature buck in that pasture gets the word.

When I was drawn, they were conducting a hunter accuracy test and if you participated the day before the hunt, they allowed you to scout. I showed up and shot, and in that, I was a single hunter the manager told me I would have the Baldy to myself, but to be careful looking around. When I pulled up to the gate, the first thing I did was climb the gate posts and oil them! He also asked me to kill an old deer because with the thick brush the younger bucks get shot. The manager was all smiles when I brought him a seven-year-old.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
We hunted a 6 yr old 8 point for 6 days last week. Never laid eyes on him. Nor received any emails of him. Got Cuddelink photos of him this morning. He's moved from the far SW corner of the ranch to the far SE corner. That's 3 miles. I'll debate to my grave that a mature buck is much harder to kill in his living room than his neighbor's back yard. To the hunt!

A large lease I was on many years ago, the owner bucket fed deer behind his house. Many of them were very tame and basically like pets or livestock and showed up every day waiting to be fed. One year around the peak of the rut, one of his "pet" bucks was taken at around 10:30am at a stand that was approximately 7 miles from his house. He said that same buck was eating corn in his backyard at 7:45am that same morning......They can cover a lot of ground during the rut.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 03:45 PM

Heckuva buck. Wow.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Erathkid
Heckuva buck. Wow.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 09:00 PM

How wide is the spread on that beast?
Posted By: Stub

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/20/18 10:56 PM

One hell of a buck man that is thick and wide cheers Looks like you have two trophies in that first picture up
Posted By: pop r

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/21/18 12:27 AM

up Great buck for sure!

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/21/18 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
One hell of a buck man that is thick and wide cheers Looks like you have two trophies in that first picture up

up I'm blessed to have the live one! The width on the deer is 29 6/8 inside and 32 + outside
Posted By: lonesomeoaktx

Re: They Don't All Make It - 11/22/18 03:14 AM

Sweet buck!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum