Texas Hunting Forum

Handgun muley

Posted By: TexasUplander

Handgun muley - 11/17/18 06:32 PM

Got him this morning with my 4" gp100 with 180gr cast and wc820. First shot was at 75yds and I center punched his shoulder. I expected him to fold at the shot but he ran off with an obviously broken shoulder. I gave it a few minutes And took up the trail expecting to find him piled up a short distance later. To my surprise, when I created a ridge he was bedded in a draw about 50yds from the shot. He was still very much alive and bolted as soon As he saw me! I let him get out of sight and made a big loop to get out in front of the direction he was headed. Slowly working my way back up the creek where he had gone, I heard him bump again. I gave it a few minutes and inched forward. I finally spotted him bedded just off the creek bed and worked into position for the finisher. The shot was about 65 yds and I placed the bullet well behind the right shoulder to angle into the vitals. At the shot he reared up out of his bed and fell straight over backwards. That one had done the trick. On the skinning rack I found that my first shot had in fact center punched the shoulder, but thats where to good news ends! After penetrating the shoulder blade, the bullet turned almost straight down and went into the brisket without exiting. IT NEVER PENETRATED INTO THE CHEST CAVITY! certainly not what I expected and it was an utter disappointment. On the bright side, the finished shot went through a couple feet of deer in a straight line but it too did not exit. Both bullets we're recovered under the hide. I have killed a ton of game with my .357's in the past but I am loosing faith. I believe I will start carrying my gp100 44spl....

Attached picture IMG_20181117_080507155.jpg

Description: Bullets
Attached picture IMG_20181117_102257187.jpg
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Handgun muley - 11/18/18 12:21 AM

I wouldn’t lose faith. I would step up to a longer barrel for more speed. Still got it done with a 4 inch, and that’s prettt cool.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Handgun muley - 11/18/18 12:44 AM

Wow, that’s incredible.

Congrats sir, my hats off for that hunt.

I couldn’t make those shots and I’m not afraid to admit it
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Handgun muley - 11/18/18 01:22 AM

Congrats on a fine buck and accomplishment. I really like hunting with a handgun as well.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Handgun muley - 11/18/18 01:28 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: Handgun muley - 11/18/18 01:29 AM

Congratulations Chuck!

I've killed deer and hogs with the .357 revolver and, while I've not had a slug deviate to that extreme, like you I ultimately went to a larger bore and heavier projectiles. Frankly, bullets do STRANGE things sometimes and neither of the recovered bullets pictured would give me much concern...they look about like I'd expect them to look.

The best news is that you made one heck of an effort to get another shot into the buck and that persistence (along with some very fine handgunning by the way) puts this whole episode into the plus column. Well done!

Mark
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Handgun muley - 11/18/18 01:40 AM

I don’t wanna underestimate the hunt you described

Those shots, with that caliber and barrel length are more difficult than say 30-40 yard bow shots

I’m still impressed.

Congrats sir
Posted By: kry226

Re: Handgun muley - 11/18/18 05:11 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Handgun muley - 11/18/18 03:11 PM

Nicely done. Congrats
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Handgun muley - 11/18/18 11:00 PM

What a deal. Great deer and story
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Handgun muley - 11/19/18 12:14 AM

I hunted with a 44 mag for several years. Effective to 100 yards for me. I finally stopped when the arthritis in my knuckles made it painful. I don't hav a .357 pistol anymore. Hmmmm.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Handgun muley - 11/19/18 12:44 AM

Impressive. That ain’t easy to do. To me anyway.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Handgun muley - 11/19/18 01:34 AM

nicely done.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Handgun muley - 11/19/18 01:46 AM

Do you think a more expanding bullet would have made difference?
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Handgun muley - 11/19/18 02:12 AM

Dang! Good shooting
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: Handgun muley - 11/19/18 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Do you think a more expanding bullet would have made difference?

Maybe so. I used to use the 170gr Speer I believe it was. Killed lots of critters with it!
Posted By: howl

Re: Handgun muley - 11/20/18 02:50 AM

Hardcast stinks on deer compared to an expanding bullet. That's if you have the horses to drive it. Get a .44 240gr XTP going over 1000fps and it's a whole 'nother story.

And congrats on the recovery.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Handgun muley - 11/20/18 04:58 AM

Awesome shooting and congratulations. The .357 Magnum is handicapped by a short barrel. Do some research on barrel length and the .357 compared to almost anything else. I think 2-3” more barrel would make a tremendous difference. It’s ability is not fully realized until you load it in a carbine. The .357 with a 180g bullet is devastating on deer sized game in a 16” 1894 or similar.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum