Texas Hunting Forum

Who rides 4 wheelers to stand?

Posted By: Erathkid

Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/07/18 10:18 PM

Normally I don't. However, because of all the rain we've had a couple of our low areas are literally a swamp. Sitting here looking at the ATV outside the blind doesn't give me a lot of confidence. At least the wind is from the north, blowing away from where the deer come out.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/07/18 10:21 PM

One guy does and doesn't see much... I can hear him a mile away. It is good for work and retrieving a deer but he really should walk in or park it further. Well on Sunday morning it died few feet pass camp. I arrive back after hunting and he is already back I thought. He never left camp!! He could have walked to 3 stands less than a mile away...
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/07/18 10:26 PM

I don’t but my partner parks his relatively close because he can’t walk very far. I feel for him because I always see a lot more deer.

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/07/18 10:27 PM

That's what I figured. I got here about 30 minutes ago. Cool and drizzly. Same conditions as when I shot my best deer off our place, 3 years ago. I spilled, (oops) a coffee can full of corn next to the hifence. At least get to watch neighbors deer. They're much more tame.
Posted By: jskin

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/07/18 10:48 PM

Go in early enough it doesn’t hurt anything. I drive my 4Runner lease ride to about 200 yards away and park up in brush in an area I can’t see anyways from my blind. Now if you ride up 10 min before feeder goes off that’s different.

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/07/18 10:53 PM

The way the wind is blowing it should be OK. Perfect conditions. 2- 3.5 year olds are up against the fence. One is about 130" the other 140" or so. I'll send pic to Sapper.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/07/18 10:55 PM

Don't allow them on our place. Too noisy and, if the only way to get in the pasture is a four wheeler, it's too wet to plow. And drive the roads.

Won't fault anyone who does so elsewhere, though. All situations are different. If that's what it takes and it's allowed, go get him! up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/07/18 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
The way the wind is blowing it should be OK. Perfect conditions. 2- 3.5 year olds are up against the fence. One is about 130" the other 140" or so. I'll send pic to Sapper.

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/07/18 11:03 PM

We're pretty much rock except a couple of really deep draws. I'm just tired of hunting behind the house. Ready to hunt a different stand.

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/07/18 11:04 PM

Y'all think that buck will make 140"? peep
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 12:21 AM

I just go in my pickup, and park 400-500 yards back away.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 01:11 AM

I take my Ranger every hunt. Never seems to bother any of the deer but I do walk a few hundred yards to the stand.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 01:13 AM

Not even close loser8
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 01:15 AM

One rifle blind I park about 20 yards in thick cover and the other depends on my mood, I can part 10' from the ladder or walk 200 yards. With either rifle blind I still see tons of deer since I use my road feeder anytime I hunt a blind. The deer know that it is dropping feed and by the time I get in the blind the deer are on the corn(most years). My bow blinds are a bit different- one I walk about 250 yards, one about 150 yards, one about 200 yards and one I park in the cowpens which are 35 yards from the blind. I just try to judge where the deer will be coming from when I pick a parking spot.

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young

Not even close loser8
240"? Watching the neighbors deer has saved a few on our side. Hard to get too excited about a 120" inch buck after seeing these monsters.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 02:10 AM

7,000 acres. I ain't walking. LOL. I've parked 20 yards from the blind and saw deer and I've parked 200 yards away and seen nothing. Several years ago, my son took a big buck 15 minutes after we drove in, dropped him off at blind.............drove to feeder.....turned on road feeder to hammer the area heavy and drove it 30 yards from the blind in some brush. Got in blind and we had 4 good bucks filing in within 5 minutes. Had to wait 10 minutes to even see the racks well enough to pick the best one. This was a pop-up blind 60 yards from the feeder.

This is a working cattle ranch so vehicles navigating the property are not something new to the animals. Every scenario is different.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 02:26 AM

Side by side or pickup I'll drive right up next to it when hunting anything but deer. Deer - I'll park a ways off or will walk - depends on which blind I'm going to.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 03:03 AM

Yeah, our lease doesn't see a vehicle outside the main road but just a few times a year. Our cow guy is 80 and if it sprinkles he won't even drive on that. The blind the guy with the 4 wheeler hunts has zero traffic around it all year so 4 wheeler is a new sound opening weekend. S. Tex just hit the road feeder and deer are eating in no time. I hand corn and get same result but don't drive in since a vehicle only hits the road maybe 5 times a year. Each place is different.
Posted By: RussellWayne

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 01:44 PM

I park mine about 10 yds behind my stand and the deer don't seem to mind. They walk right by it with a couple odd looks.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 02:17 PM

I drive my wife up to the stand and then drive about 200 yards away. We see as many deer as anyone else. Last place we had we drove to within 25 yards of the stand. Killed a trophy buck out of that stand every year. Of course when you are both over 70, long walks in the dark, while wearing a lot of clothes and carrying a rifle is an easy way to fall and get hurt.

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 03:14 PM

I've seen the bucks y'all have killed. Very impressive.

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 03:43 PM

I've seen the bucks y'all have killed. Very impressive.

Thank you, Earthkid. Much appreciated

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 03:47 PM

Oh, I'm not advocating riding a UTV to the stand. Walking in most likely is better. I'm just saying don't over think it if you need to. Just enjoy your hunt.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 03:58 PM

I was on a lease in Knox County several years ago and from one of our tall blinds, I could see a blind on an adjacent property, maybe 500 yards to my south. The hunters there would drive pickups all the way in and park next to the base of the blind. I know they shot deer there, so I guess it didn't hurt too bad. For me personally, I like to park my Mule some distance away and out of sight. Just seems more advantageous.

Will add, a couple of times on the place in Knox County, I wanted to hunt areas where there was lots of sign, but no blinds. I would drive my ATV in, park between a couple of trees, then drape a camo mesh tarp in front of it so I could sit on ATV while hunting. I don't recall ever getting busted doing that, and did shoot a doe that came within 40 or 50 yards of me.

To each his own I guess...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 04:07 PM

I enjoy walking in and if your able I think its good for your.

On the other hand I have watched deer walk un alarmed right up to the point where they cross the path I walked then lock op the breaks sniff look around and get very nervous. Some deer are much worse about it than others. We drive mostly diesel pickups and a tractor on the place so nothing quiet enough for me and the big problem with that is we don't get them out there regular enough. If we drove the pickups out there every weekend etc. I would consider it but as we are now the truck noise is out of the ordinary for the deer. A gas or electric golf cart is in the future I believe.

When its raining we have driven my wife's ford escape to the stand on occasion and it has never bothered anything. Our road for the most part are all sand and a little bit of rain just makes them more passable. We never knew the would get bad soft till this last string of heavy rains we had in sept-oct.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 04:21 PM

When deer hunting, I'll always park about 200-300 yards away from the blind at a dedicated spot that is ideal for parking a 4 wheeler or truck. Somewhere it hides the vehicle and is far enough away to help avoid any smells. However at night when we hunt pigs, I often park right behind the stand. Pigs don't mind either.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 04:53 PM

Had this conversation with a buddy always drove the ranch truck to his stand. Told him the deer prolly had HIM patterned said they weren't that smart. On a bet told him I would walk in after he left and hunt his stand. I saw DOE and a nice buck. He didn't believe me because I didn't shoot it. LOL
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 06:13 PM

I use my road feeder to corn the senderos. I park in thick brush right by the stand. Never have I not seen deer.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 06:33 PM

Hey drive my ranger to within 500 yards. See plenty of deer. I have a 4 wheeler too but it’s useless for hunting, in my opinion. It’s just for riding
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 06:41 PM

always had better luck when someone dropped me off at my stand. Walking or driving seems to have the same affect.
Posted By: RussellWayne

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/08/18 07:50 PM

If I walk into my stand I scare the deer off, I drive right through them on mine. As long as I don't stop they will just walk away a short bit and return after I pass. This is an area I corn the night before.
Posted By: Falco

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/09/18 01:25 AM

I park my four wheeler in the brush right next to my stand after corning roads. Doesn’t hurt a thing as long as I give it a little time to calm down before feeders go off. Deer often come out at the sound of the atv, especially mule deer.
Posted By: TKM

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/09/18 02:06 AM

I drive mine to the stand every time, couple stands i park next to them. Had deer walk right next to me. Done the walking in my younger days, now i'm about comfort.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/09/18 02:42 AM

I do. My spot is around 4-5 miles from camp and I always park just as I enter my area and walk in. After I got my buck I may drive all the way in and use it to corn the road in my area which is 240 yards to the end of the road from blind to my South and 200 yards to my North feeder. See lots and lots of deer and hogs that way. Some that never would have gone to the feeder but stop and eat the corn in the road. Sometimes they are eating before I get back to my stand and even had some trot off into the brush and right back into the road as I walk by.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/09/18 02:52 AM

1974 ranch hunting Jeep. Corn the one road to the stand and going away for another 200 yards. Park it there. Makes more noise than the feeder and half the time the deer are there before we are!!!
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/09/18 10:59 AM

We have oilfield trucks driving around all the time as well as a guy checking cattle so our deer are used to seeing and hearing vehicles. I have parked a couple hundred yards away also and right behind my stands and can't tell any difference in deer or hog sightings, including mature deer. If it's not moving, the animals don't seem to mind at all and the gas wells smell enough that the animals are used to smelling machinery and oil/gas.
We started using the Feedsync remotes this year and wait about 15 mins after getting into our stands and then set the feeder off and we have animals come in within minutes. Having watched deer move into brush many times when a vehicle passes on a road and then step right back out after it passes.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/09/18 05:30 PM

I hunt my own small ranch and check cows, fences, fill feeders, spread corn, work on stands, etc. from the Mule so it's like furniture to the wildlife.
I sometimes park right next to ladder and step right off mule onto ladder.
Sometimes I park a few hundred yards away and walk last part.

If I drive right thru feeder/open area and drop corn, the deer/pigs/varmints don't seem to pay the scent any attention.
If I walk thru area and drop corn, deer don't mind much, pigs get pretty nervous and varmints hold up in brush.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/09/18 06:06 PM

Shoot I plan on hunting from my UTV in the morning - park it under a tree about 150 yards from ambush site. I drop a camo net over it and brush it in, and sit in the comfort of my Wolverine with front windshield up. Otherwise it's fully enclosed, mobile blind. Not too worried about the noise as my neighbors and I run ATV and UTV. I'm more concerned with scent control and wind. I know this is the height of laziness - but when the forecast is calling for high 20's I would like to be someplace a little more insulated and comfy, with cup holders.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/10/18 10:48 AM

I love the deer to pattern me as I drive up to my stand and park. They hear me scattering corn on the sendero and are usually out feeding on it before I can crawl into the blind.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Who rides 4 wheelers to stand? - 11/10/18 06:16 PM

If 4 wheelers are used on the place year around by the rancher, the deer are less likely to pay any attention to them. Our guy that rents the pasture from us is on it daily with his 4 wheeler checking the cattle. If it is cold or raining, he is in his pickup, the deer are used to both, but the deer also know the difference between his vehicles and ours.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum