Texas Hunting Forum

Good start to opening weekend

Posted By: txtrophy85

Good start to opening weekend - 11/05/18 02:07 PM

My neighbor works for a produce company, on Halloween he got invited on a hunt in Kerr County thru one of his vendors and wanted to know if I wanted to come as his guest. He could only hunt Sat. morning so I said sure, I'll tag along. He grew up in Wisconsin and his family owns a lot of land but since relocation here he hasn't killed a deer in probably 10 years. With the time being short, the lord smiled on him and he was rewarded with a 177" buck about 15 min after legal shooting light. I took a management 8 about 3 min after legal shooting light, deer behind us blew and ran all the deer off at the feeder, this one stopped right at the edge of the tree line about 150 yards out and the .257 wby went to work.

After that hunt I came home and took my wife to the stand, we didn't see much Saturday evening and decided to sleep in Sunday Morning to make our Sons baseball game at noon. After that wrapped up we came home, loaded up and I took our youngest son with me while she went to another blind. Deer movement was slower for her, we saw a mature 8 that was around the 115" mark, my boy wanted to hold off. About 15 min later a mid 130's buck comes in and while he's getting set up to shoot the 8 lowers his head and runs after the buck. As soon as they were in the woods they start going at it and at the sounds of the horns every buck in the woods comes running. Saw several very nice younger deer but no mature bucks. Still was a fun hunt and I was glad to see him getting to see the other side of hunting where not every hunt results in a deer.

Our bucks from Saturday morning

Posted By: bulltide

Re: Good start to opening weekend - 11/05/18 02:16 PM

Nice work gents!!!! His right main beam looks backwards. Am I seeing that correctly?

Re: Good start to opening weekend - 11/05/18 02:25 PM

He’s got double main beams on that side
Posted By: bulltide

Re: Good start to opening weekend - 11/05/18 02:26 PM

Awesome!!!!!

Re: Good start to opening weekend - 11/05/18 02:26 PM

On another note I saw several bucks running does.

I thought it was a tad early but they are def. thinking about it
Posted By: Vindicator

Re: Good start to opening weekend - 11/05/18 03:25 PM

Beautiful deer, Great picture.....
Posted By: Cueman

Re: Good start to opening weekend - 11/05/18 03:34 PM

Awesome bucks!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Good start to opening weekend - 11/05/18 03:45 PM

cheers
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Good start to opening weekend - 11/05/18 04:31 PM