Texas Hunting Forum

A glorious opening morning

Posted By: 603Country

A glorious opening morning - 11/03/18 03:30 PM

Had deer all over the place, to the left, the right, and out front. Can’t even guess how many. All were fat and healthy. About 7:30 a boar hog ran the deer off the corn, so I dropped him. Deer all ran off and came right back, and walked over to stare at the dead hog. I had told the wife that if I saw the one-horned buck, I’d shoot him, but here he came and I decided I didn’t want to work that hard today. Then here comes a real nice 8, chasing the girls. I left him alone to do some more “seeding”. Drank my coffee and enjoyed the morning.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: A glorious opening morning - 11/03/18 03:49 PM

Is the flightless turkey vulture still around?

Do you make chili with your venison?

If I were 100 miles closer and 20 years younger I would be glad to bone it out for you for a ham.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: A glorious opening morning - 11/03/18 05:09 PM

Bill, I haven’t seen our flightless turkey. Maybe he didn’t survive the summer, though he really did hang in for a long time.

Most of the deer goes to ground meat. The wife made some chili the other day, and it was great and not even slightly gamey tasting. Mostly I just shoot a couple of does for the freezer. Being lazy this morning, I didn’t even pick up the rifle when I saw the one horned buck or the nice 8 point. That said, if you want some venison, I’ll put down that one horned buck and put aside some meat for you, and some for the grandson that’s now teaching in Spain. We have a nice comfy guest house, and I guess we are about 150 miles from you. We have beer and a wide assortment of adult liquids, and I make a darn good Bloody Mary. Let me know if you are up for a field trip. I’d like to meet you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum