Texas Hunting Forum

Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away!

Posted By: krazy kris

Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 06:07 PM

Anyone that is needing a dog to track in North Texas Young, Palo pinto Stevens county call Shae Smith and he will bring his dog Zues to get it for you. That dog worked like crazy in the rain and found my deer this morning about a mile from where I shot it. Down through the river gullies up and down cliffs. I couldn't find any blood and I even told Shae that I don't think it was a fatal shot and that we should just call it off, but Zues wouldn't let us quit he kept on pushing. So if you're in need of a great tracking dog call Shae Smith at (903) 875-5172
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 06:10 PM

What’s a deer tracking dog cost?

I haven’t had to use one but need to be prepared.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 06:16 PM

You would have to talk with Mr Smith. I got the buddy price.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 06:20 PM

I would figure around a hundred bucks. If it was a couple hours or less.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 07:07 PM

One guy wanted 200 to come out and 200 if they found it.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 08:01 PM

pics? where did you end up hitting the deer? if you care to share...
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 08:02 PM

Damn thats wild. Tracked it a mile in the rain? That's one hell of a dog.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
What’s a deer tracking dog cost?

I haven’t had to use one but need to be prepared.

I would guess $200-$400

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 08:34 PM

I tried posting a pic and it won't embed right it's embed under the post if someone wouldn't mind telling me how

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: JB1316

I may have exaggerated it a bit I mapped it when I got home and in a straight line it it was almost a half a mile but we didn't go in a straight line so I'd say 5/8's of a mile.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 09:26 PM

ammonium sulphate ph

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 09:28 PM

He had 7 on 1 side and a brow tine and a curved blade on the other so 9 points total and inside spread was 16 1/2
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: krazy kris

Given the number of hunters who are eager to shoot dogs during deer season, it would take a lot more than that to get me to release a good hound into deer woods.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 09:37 PM

This is measured in a straight line so it doesn't account for the deer circling and backtracking and up and down those "little" ditches that were a good 20ft tall. Deer are tough creatures!

what's a baby fish called

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Given the number of hunters who are eager to shoot dogs during deer season, it would take a lot more than that to get me to release a good hound into deer woods.

Thats one of the reasons why we got the landowners permission and asked if there were any hunters out there.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 09:48 PM

Thats one of the reasons why we got the landowners permission and asked if there were any hunters out there.

A good hound can easily track a deer for miles over several hours and quickly leave a property that is not properly fenced to stop his/her movements.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: JB1316

I may have exaggerated it a bit I mapped it when I got home and in a straight line it it was almost a half a mile but we didn't go in a straight line so I'd say 5/8's of a mile.

Well it makes for a better story that way so keep it at a mile

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 10:59 PM

[/quote]
Well it makes for a better story that way so keep it at a mile [/quote]
It seemed like 20 miles on the way back dragging that sucker this fat boy is way out of shape!

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 11:04 PM

A good hound can easily track a deer for miles over several hours and quickly leave a property that is not properly fenced to stop his/her movements.

I'll admit I don't know a lot about tracking dogs but why would you let the dogs out of your sight or off the leash?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 10/31/18 11:45 PM

Glad you found your buck.... up

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 12:29 AM

I'll admit I don't know a lot about tracking dogs but why would you let the dogs out of your sight or off the leash?

A leash restricts a hounds movement and natural ability to identify and follow the scent trail.

Keep in mind the hound is wanting to focus all his attention on following a specific scent trail amongst many other scents that he comes across. It’s when he’s released that he knows the race is on.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 12:34 AM

He did let it off the leash once we got into the thick woods but when it would almost get out a sight or too far ahead he would say "Zues" and the dog would stop sit and wait. I thought it was very cool to watch the dog work.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 12:35 AM

He did let it off the leash once we got into the thick woods but when it would almost get out a sight or too far ahead he would say "Zues" and the dog would stop sit and wait. I thought it was very cool to watch the dog work.

Well trained no doubt.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 12:38 AM

Glad you got your deer. It sounds like watching the dog work was more fun than killing the deer.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 12:50 AM

Good looking dog. He hadn’t missed many meals. Give him an antler to eat.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Glad you got your deer. It sounds like watching the dog work was more fun than killing the deer.

When I seen the buck get up and start stumbling off it made my heart sink and I pulled up the binos and could barely see through them from shaking so bad. He was not a monster by any means so I'm still glad I got excited over an older deer that needed to be taken out of the gene pool.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Good looking dog. He hadn’t missed many meals. Give him an antler to eat.

I bought him a big bag of his favorite treats (bacon strips) that's my kind of dog right there!

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 02:20 AM

When I seen the buck get up and start stumbling off it made my heart sink and I pulled up the binos and could barely see through them from shaking so bad. He was not a monster by any means so I'm still glad I got excited over an older deer that needed to be taken out of the gene pool.

No need to make anything less of a good harvest and putting forth the extra effort to recover the animal. A lot of hunters would not have done that. They would have walked no more than 100 yards or so to look for the animal before turning around and thought to themselves, “It happens to everyone.”

I applaud you.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 02:28 AM

Congrats on the deer and fine recovery with a friend an his dog.

If you have never watched a good dog trail one it can be fun to watch them work it out. i hqve a dog that has found the deer he was put on almost all the time except for one. Some were very much alive when found most were dead his oldest tracking job they lost the blood trail 16 hours before we put him on it the next morning. We had a lab years ago that could let her off the leash she would go locate the deer and return and sit waiting for us and she would then take the most direct route to the deer. She was a very good asset to have, she was also a chocolate lab.

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 02:32 AM

No need to make anything less of a good harvest and putting forth the extra effort to recover the animal. A lot of hunters would not have done that. They would have walked no more than 100 yards or so to look for the animal before turning around and thought to themselves, “It happens to everyone.”

I applaud you.

If I can I'll do everything I can to not waste any meat and try my best to make a good shot but it does happen. I hate watching TV shows where they go look the next day and find an animal that had died 50 yards or less and the yotes and other predators have had their fill of it and all they care about is the antlers.i like antlers too but if an inferior deer needs to go and it's old enough and legal I'm taking it out.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 05:38 AM

Congrats! You know you hit it so instinct took over. Was there any sign anywhere during the track?

Re: Deer tracking dog! Found my deer a mile away! - 11/01/18 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Congrats! You know you hit it so instinct took over. Was there any sign anywhere during the track?

No blood until about 50yards from where the dear died. I've never done a liver shot before but Mr Smith said that with a liver shot they don't bleed out much.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum