Texas Hunting Forum

Returning bucks year after year

Posted By: titan2232

Returning bucks year after year - 10/30/18 04:15 PM

I've got at least 5 bucks this year on camera that can be identified going back to the 2015 season. These bucks apparently have a really small range because 4 of the 5 are sure fire shooters on most accounts.

Just curious how many of you have the luxury of seeing the same buck/s year after year on your low fence place?
Posted By: Shortya

Re: Returning bucks year after year - 10/30/18 09:09 PM

I certainly do!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Returning bucks year after year - 10/30/18 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Shortya
I certainly do!
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Returning bucks year after year - 10/30/18 09:59 PM

I love watching them grow from year to year especially when one makes a huge jump and surprises you grin
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Returning bucks year after year - 10/30/18 10:36 PM

Yes I have several I have 3 yrs of on my place and of those that are 4 yrs old this year I could probably find a photo of one or two when they were 1 yr olds. That would give me 4 yrs on a couple of them. I have one older buck I had 4 yrs of photos of him. Two years is common on older bucks and 3 yrs on younger ones. If I really looked back I am sure I could find one that I have 5 or maybe 6 yrs of. On my other place I had one buck I had 3 yr of pics and never looked back to see I had him younger for more years. That place is rare to see a buck 4 or older.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Returning bucks year after year - 10/31/18 03:22 PM

Some do some don't. Seems like we usually have a few that we zero in on early and recognize they are going to be something good and then watch for them. Some we see one year and never again.

Have also seen a few that came out of the blue never seen in person or pictures off and we have cameras all over. Like clockwork, between thanksgiving and first or so weekend of January we always have some new bucks that show up for a day or so and disappear. I have recognized a few of them from year to year also.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Returning bucks year after year - 10/31/18 03:33 PM

All of our properties are 110 acres or less, but all of the surrounding properties are big. A few make it year after year, until they hit 4.5 then they disappear
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Returning bucks year after year - 10/31/18 03:49 PM

I've seen the same bucks from year to year. Very low pressure around us with large ranches for neighbors.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Returning bucks year after year - 10/31/18 07:26 PM

It's funny how you can see a buck in person or on camera and instantly realize you know that deer. Sometimes I'll have to go back 3 seasons, but I have made the match several times.

I've got three bucks that have not changed in several seasons. About time to drop em
Posted By: spg

Re: Returning bucks year after year - 10/31/18 09:47 PM

Occasionally we'll have one disappear but usually retain all bucks year after year. We don't shoot as much as we should or advised to shoot for multiple reasons, 1) We prefer to wait until a buck is 5.5 to shoot 2) All members pretty much have the same philosophy 3) None of us want more than 3 deer per year 4) We feed protein and corn year round 5) Neighbors are pretty management minded but they do shoot more than us 6) We have plenty water.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Returning bucks year after year - 10/31/18 10:26 PM

I do
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum