Texas Hunting Forum

Buck on hwy in houston

Posted By: Bigfoot

Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 12:32 AM

I guess the rut is on big time and I have no idea how a small buck got on the inside lane of traffic on I45 northbound just North of the 610 loop on the north side. Looked like a spike.

There isnt any forest around there or hardly any grass. How the heck did that buck get on I 45???
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 12:42 AM

See it fairly often.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 12:46 AM

Called Uber?
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
See it fairly often.

at 610 and 45? really?
Posted By: rickym

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 02:54 AM

Yeah you’d be surprised at the number of deer up and down areas of 45 . Tons of them around greens point.

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
See it fairly often.

at 610 and 45? really?

I have seen them dang near downtown. With all of this rain and high water they will be in lots of places they aren't normally. Saw a doe standing next to 45 and the beltway on the southside last week. Had one run through my front yard last year after Harvey and I am in a huge subdivision.
Posted By: Coastalquacker

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 03:01 PM

No kidding about Greenspoint, i hit one on the entrance ramp south of rankin and 45 back in the 80s. Got to get to the other side of the road i guess.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 03:40 PM

It is amazing, I just looked at the map of 610 and 45, closest big "wooded area" is about 5 miles away. But a lot of smaller areas, the Little Whiteoak Bayou is only a mile plus, a plenty of green area for deer to "camp out" in. It runs right along side and under the highway through that area.

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
It is amazing, I just looked at the map of 610 and 45, closest big "wooded area" is about 5 miles away. But a lot of smaller areas, the Little Whiteoak Bayou is only a mile plus, a plenty of green area for deer to "camp out" in. It runs right along side and under the highway through that area.

A lot of that has to do with no real zoning laws in Houston. You have 10 story office buildings and right next to it cows, woods and deer.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 07:16 PM

A lot of that has to do with no real zoning laws in Houston. You have 10 story office buildings and right next to it cows, woods and deer.

Like coyotes, I suspect deer use the wooded areas along creeks and drainage ditches to travel surprising distances. As long as they can find small areas of cover along the way, there might be no end to how far they can go.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 08:27 PM

A lot of that area that is wooded is natural flood areas, same as even smaller towns, in Abilene we have 4 major creeks that flow through town. Cedar Creek goes from the south city limits to Fort Phantom Lake, miles to the north. In the old days there were several small lakes dammed up along the creek in town. These areas became flood problem areas and the housing was bought and moved out. Most of it has reverted back to pasture/wooded land.

Some of those wooded areas hold some might impressive deer for Taylor and Jones county. There is one area on the south side on Cedar creek that I would love to set up a feeder and blind, but the county jail is across the creek. The city keeps the creek banks mowed to improve water flow so the area is a natural shooting lane.

Farther north about 20 blocks is where Cedar and Lytle creek converge just to the south of that is a wooded area that is well over a 100 acres, so thick in there that the city doesn't mess with. I have seen deer, coyotes and even a bobcat in that area.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/20/18 08:40 PM

This one was hit by a car on FM1960 at the entrance to Northgate Country Club in Houston back in 2008. Scored 188-5/8

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/21/18 08:39 PM

One heck of a nice buck.....
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Buck on hwy in houston - 10/24/18 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
See it fairly often.

at 610 and 45? really?

They’re even running around the Galleria area.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum